autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
    Post Thanks / Like

McKees Tire Coating

Just got the tire coating add in my email. I get a lot of brown on my tires from construction sites. How does the Tire Coating work for harsh environments and daily driving? Is it as simple as hit it with my foam cannon, then hose-off to get new shiny tires again?

Senior Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees Tire Coating

If you travel through construction sites, Tire Coating from McKee's 37 will certainly make your life easier.

it features a acrylic-based resin, In most cases you can use a car wash to clean your tires.

The key is to get the tires 100% clean before you apply the coating. After you apply the coating the maintenance aspect will be super easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

When Joe says make sure your tires are 100% clean, make sure there is absolutely no dirt on the tires. This means washing the tire several times especially if your in construction sites. To many people clean the tire once and think it's clean. The tire coating Is a great product.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to everything above. The key for first application is tire has to be totally completely bare. Once after that, simply washing the tire, and reapplying the coating every month or so should keep it going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Yes to everything above. The key for first application is tire has to be totally completely bare. Once after that, simply washing the tire, and reapplying the coating every month or so should keep it going.
    Sounds great...still have some tire gel to use up and I'll wait until the Spring when the weather is good to give a proper cure...it's on my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like

As everyone stated getting the tires clean is key. I would also recommend that if the vehicle has new tires to run without anything on them prior to coating them for a few weeks. Just clean them weekly. The tire has the mold release wax which can interfere with the bonding of the coating.

It really is a great product. Been using it for quite some time now. I bought the new McKee's version and is sitting on the shelf as I have a little of the DP version. It simply just lasts. I want to say I am approaching the 6 month mark on my daily driver. Possibly even longer. I lost track after the third month.

My weekly cleaning regiment is a swipe or two with McKee's N914 or Meguiar's D114 (discontinued) during a rinseless wash. With a 2 bucket wash it is car shampoo and a soft bristled mothers brush.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (Daily)
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS (Garage Queen)

7. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Been using it for quite some time now. I bought the new McKee's version and is sitting on the shelf as I have a little of the DP version. It simply just lasts. I want to say I am approaching the 6 month mark on my daily driver. Possibly even longer. I lost track after the third month.
    WHAT? WOW. Okay, then. Time to pull my kit out and do my wife's car. I'd be happy with even 3 months

9. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    As everyone stated getting the tires clean is key. I would also recommend that if the vehicle has new tires to run without anything on them prior to coating them for a few weeks. Just clean them weekly. The tire has the mold release wax which can interfere with the bonding of the coating.

It really is a great product. Been using it for quite some time now. I bought the new McKee's version and is sitting on the shelf as I have a little of the DP version. It simply just lasts. I want to say I am approaching the 6 month mark on my daily driver. Possibly even longer. I lost track after the third month.

My weekly cleaning regiment is a swipe or two with McKee's N914 or Meguiar's D114 (discontinued) during a rinseless wash. With a 2 bucket wash it is car shampoo and a soft bristled mothers brush.
    I am glad you mentioned a swipe with N-914, it works terrific and removes the light dirt very well prior to dressing.

11. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When cleaning the tires make sure on the last scrubbing the bubbles are completely white. I wou'll D definitely recommend applying in thin coats. It stated that in the directions on the first version, I don't think it does on the second version. I could be wrong. I had one version with Michelins with a lot of sidewall that flexes a lot. I applied thick coats and it looked like the coating actually cracked everywhere. I scrub the tires on it every wash and now that the coating is about gone the cracks are gone. When. I reapply I'll use thin coats. The other vehicles I've used it on I've had no issues, even using thick coats.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS