autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre Paint Sealant Question....

I have read here many times that prior to applying a paint sealant (Wolfgang Deep Gloss in this case), a paint prep is used, (N-914 in this case) to remove any residuals left on the vehicle.

My question being........ Does the prep process remove any of the gloss I achieved during my cut and polish steps? I used 3D HD products and got great results, but am wondering if the N-914 mix (1:8) will do anything to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre Paint Sealant Question....

In many cases, using the Rhopoint I’ve measured a decrease in the gloss readings after using an IPA or Eraser wipedown after polishing the paint with HD Polish+. I can pull out the N914 tomorrow and take some readings on the test panel, but even on some waxes I’ve measured a decrease in gloss readings applying them after the polishing step. At this point the highest measurements I’ve recorded was McKee’s 37 Jeweling Wax used directly after polishing without an in between IPA wipe, but there are many products I have that I haven’t recorded results for yet. None of this is noticeable to my eyes so even though the glossmeter can read a difference my perception can’t.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    In many cases, using the Rhopoint I’ve measured a decrease in the gloss readings after using an IPA or Eraser wipedown after polishing the paint with HD Polish+. I can pull out the N914 tomorrow and take some readings on the test panel, but even on some waxes I’ve measured a decrease in gloss readings applying them after the polishing step. At this point the highest measurements I’ve recorded was McKee’s 37 Jeweling Wax used directly after polishing without an in between IPA wipe, but there are many products I have that I haven’t recorded results for yet. None of this is noticeable to my eyes so even though the glossmeter can read a difference my perception can’t.
    Interesting, thanks.

Here’s another question to the same point.... Is a ISO/Erasor step a must before applying a sealant?

I’m totally old school (as in 30 years ago) in my detailing, so all of these current products are totally new to me. I’m like a little fish in a great big ocean at this point. My buffing skills are still there, but every step is a sort of guess, seeing what works and what doesn’t.

Post Thanks / Like

What I don’t know is the depreciation of the gloss levels after the first week on the paint or the first wash, I assume the loss is significant enough that I would not recommend forgoing the IPA wipedown as an attempt to maximize the gloss readings. For me, I can say that the IPA wipedown is a good idea to use because many times I can see it removing those residual oils giving me a cleaner looking finish with no oily holograms. How much of a difference on durability it would have on leaving those oils on the paint and then going with the sealant is too hard to test to any significant level because of how many different variables you deal with during a long term durability test. But I haven’t seen any noticeable performance differences in the short term whether I use IPA prior to applying the sealant or skip it. Also no difference with CQuartz UK as well in the short term.

Post Thanks / Like

It is my opinion that there is no need to use an IPA step between polishing and using a sealant. However, you do want to do a good job wiping down the panel and getting most of the polish residue off first (I use ONR, IPA is harder to work with). Any small amount of residue left will be overwhelmed by the sealant. If you miss a spot during your wipedown, since you're using a sealant (not a coating), it's easy to touch up an area.

Post Thanks / Like

After HD Polish+ with the rotary:

After Panel Wipe Dilution 1:8 N-914:

On average for this test a very slight increase in gloss, provides a clean wipe no residuals left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite the measuring device.

2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
    2017 Honda CTX700
    IG- alfaromeogiulia.palmbeach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    It is my opinion that there is no need to use an IPA step between polishing and using a sealant. However, you do want to do a good job wiping down the panel and getting most of the polish residue off first (I use ONR, IPA is harder to work with). Any small amount of residue left will be overwhelmed by the sealant. If you miss a spot during your wipedown, since you're using a sealant (not a coating), it's easy to touch up an area.
    Agreed.
    Doesn't most sealant products have solvents that also remove whatever is on the paint anyway? Except, of course, for pure sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    After HD Polish+ with the rotary:

After Panel Wipe Dilution 1:8 N-914:

On average for this test a very slight increase in gloss, provides a clean wipe no residuals left behind.
    That’s pretty cool. I actually changed the way I did the car.

I used the HD cut, but since I was going to use the Wolfgang High Gloss, I went ahead and used the WG total swirl and the WG final glaze. Then used the N-914 in a 2 oz N914/4 oz ISO/ 26 oz water mix. Which when used told me I left a bunch of polish on my deck lid (rest of car was pretty good) and finally the WG high gloss. I gotta say, the car looks incredible. The black metallic with a high gloss is off the charts!

I initially tried the 1:8 N-914 without the ISO, but it just gummed up the polish with that much product and no drying agent.

Thanks for the info and the help.

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on the sealant. Some have built in cleaners, some have strong solvents, others are finicky about what they go on top of. You can use an oily polish like Megs 205 and use something like M21 without thinking twice. Then again I've had FK1000P fail after two weeks on top of a clayed and QD'd surface. The reality is that polishing makes a dusty mess. I usually re-wash with ONR but sometimes I just use isopropyl alcohol for a wipedown. Fancy prep solvents aren't really required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast