autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hard to tell from the pictures if the paint is just dull or if the clear is missing.

Basecoat is DULL so if they removed too much clear and exposed the basecoat then it will look dull.

IF they didn't get all of their sanding marks out then sanded paint looks dull.

The only way you can tell and it's kind of tricky - you need a dark cloth like a chunk of black t-shirt and a grey polish. Rub some grey polish with the black t-shirt over a dull area. If you see white paint coming off then the clear is missing. If the t-shirt and grey polish is all you see then the clear is still intact. At this point, you should be able to rub longer with a quality polish and see clarity and gloss come back to the dull paint - that is if the clear is still present.

IF the clear is gone then the only recourse is to repaint.

What do you have for compounds and polishes?

Sorry to hear of this mishap - I'm sad to say your experience is the norm for most body shops.

Thanks, Mike. I very much appreciate your insights.

I currently don't have any compounds or polishes, but if the clear coat is still there, I will definitely buy any recommended pads and compounds/polishes.

I am going to buy a little bit of the grey polish now to test a small area with a black t-shirt as you suggested. What kind of polish or compound would you recommend for this?

REALLY hoping the clear coat is still there

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that the polish being grey is that important. You just need a polish that are not white so its easier to tell the difference on the black cloth between the polish and the car's white base coat.

3. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

First let me post an article I wrote in 2011 as I'm going to reference it in a follow-up reply.

This information is also in my how-to book, "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine" on pages 8 and 9 - just to plug the book - there is TONS of "head knowledge" in this book that it would take the newbie detailer a lifetime to learn on their own.

Here's the article - note the sentence I coded RED

How to Test for Single Stage or Clear Coat Paint

To test for a colored single stage paint, try to use a white polish and a white applicator or light colored applicator or cloth.

If you're testing white paint then try to use a polish with a color to it and a dark colored cloth. The reason for this is so you can confirm that you're removing white paint and not just seeing the color of the polish or the cloth.

If the cloth and polish are both white it will be hard to see paint pigment.

Use an ample amount for plenty of lubrication as you're going to want to push firmly if no oxidation is present as was the case with the finish on the classic car.

Confirmed, we're working on a single stage paint... also note the heavier accumulation were my fingers pressed down with the most pressure... this is because you can exert more pressure to the small area of your finger tips than you can with your entire hand, you can use this to work for you or cause problems depending upon what you're trying to do...

5. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

I don't think that the polish being grey is that important. You just need a polish that are not white so its easier to tell the difference on the black cloth between the polish and the car's white base coat.
    I agree that a person doesn't need a polish is grey - the problem is it's about the only other color that's dark and on the market. Most compounds and polishes are white and there are a few polishes that are grey.

The BIG PICTURE is that you cannot test for WHITE paint (easily) using things (cloth and polish) that are also white. The reason why is because the human eye will not be able to distinguish between the cloth, the polish and any removed white paint in a situation like this where you're trying to find out if the clear layer of paint is now removed.

Make sense?

But yeah... any color will do, whatever you can find, the darker the better so that if white paint is coming off the panel as you rub it will build up on the dark cloth with the dark colored polish so your eyes can see it and then you can make a definitive judgment as to whether or not the clearcoat is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honais View Post

Thanks so much to everyone for the quick feedback. I will follow Mike's recommendation for the black shirt and gray polish and will post once I know if the clear is indeed gone.

What is a good gray polish to use? (Maybe something I could buy locally to check this out tomorrow?)

Thanks again,

I don't think you'll find compounds or polishes at the retail level that are not white.

Most retail waxes are actually cleaner/waxes, they simply don't state that in the name on the bottle. Perhaps if you could find one of those gimmicky "colored waxes" that would work. Maybe at the Dollar Store?

I currently don't have any compounds or polishes, but if the clear coat is still there, I will definitely buy any recommended pads and compounds/polishes.

I am going to buy a little bit of the grey polish now to test a small area with a black t-shirt as you suggested. What kind of polish or compound would you recommend for this?

REALLY hoping the clear coat is still there

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

Doing a full write-up today on an old 2-door Chevy out in the garage, it will show you how to tackle your car.

7. Thanks Honais thanked for this post
    Likes DBAILEY, Honais liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Click link - follow along

One-Stepping a 1971 2-Door Chevy - Facebook Live videos

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Awesome community here and I am floored by all the help, guidance, and support provided. I will post an update with pictures as things come along. Thanks again gentlemen!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Just wanted to post a quick update and thank all of you again.

I called auto geek and per Mikes recommendation asked for a gray finishing polish and 3D HD polish was recommended. Came in the mail yesterday and I took a black t shirt and applied the prduct and applied it in an up and down motion where the doors meet (which was the area I was most concerned about).

The shirt turned a little gray, but did not appear white. I think it was just the polish and the area I was concerned with looked a lot better if not great

I think the clear is still there because it is now glossy and smooth as opposed to rough and dull. Spent 3 minutes polishing with a t shirt, hit with a microfiber towel to remove excess product, and rinsed to dilute anything left behind. Not sure if that was necessary.

Here are a few pictures I took with the best light I had (before is on the left and the last three are after).

I think things are looking good and this made my day if not my week! Thanks again to all of you for your help and direction - God bless you fellas.

Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-a1-jpg Help Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-a2-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-a3-jpgHelp Needed - Post Body Shop Wet Sand And Buff Repair Question-a4-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12