autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any way to restore oxidized weatherstripping?

On my C5 Corvette the weather stripping around the windshield and back glass is a hard rubber, shiny, nonporous material. It has an oxidized look to it now from the Texas sun. Is there a procedure to help restore this at least somewhat until I can get around to replacing them? Since it isn't porous it doesn't seem to take to rubber and vinyl protectant well and if I get compound on them the oxidization seems to just collect it so I haven't tried really polishing it with compound.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any way to restore oxidized weatherstripping?

Let me know, I've got the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sinking View Post
    On my C5 Corvette the weather stripping around the windshield and back glass is a hard rubber, shiny, nonporous material. It has an oxidized look to it now from the Texas sun. Is there a procedure to help restore this at least somewhat until I can get around to replacing them? Since it isn't porous it doesn't seem to take to rubber and vinyl protectant well and if I get compound on them the oxidization seems to just collect it so I haven't tried really polishing it with compound.

Thanks.
    That "hard rubber" is probably made of EPDM...a "synthetic rubber". GM recommends using Dielectric Silicone Grease [GM US Part No. 12345579 (from my Corvette owner's manual, pg. 444)]

Dielectric silicone grease ( not really "grease") is a synthetic (man-made) lubricant ideal for synthetic (man-made) EPDM rubber.

I just apply a very light coating...wait a few minutes...gently wipe away excess...repeat as necessary. It also helps reduce some "squeaks", sometimes.

You can buy dielectric silicone grease, tube or spray version at most auto parts supply stores.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    That "hard rubber" is probably made of EPDM...a "synthetic rubber". GM recommends using Dielectric Silicone Grease [GM US Part No. 12345579 (from my Corvette owner's manual, pg. 444)]

Dielectric silicone grease ( not really "grease") is a synthetic (man-made) lubricant ideal for synthetic (man-made) EPDM rubber.

I just apply a very light coating...wait a few minutes...gently wipe away excess...repeat as necessary.

You can buy dielectric silicone grease, tube or spray version at most auto parts supply stores.

Bob

I have dielectric grease so I will give that a try tonight. Do you think that will help restore the look or just prevent it from getting worse?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

I just apply a very light coating...wait a few minutes...gently wipe away excess...repeat as necessary.
    Yeah, but...that may be a good way to protect the trim (and really old school, I remember a Dow Corning rep telling me to use DC 7 on my tires 30 years ago...I still have the tube), but it's a greasy mess and won't do anything about the damaged outer layer that the OP (and me) are complaining about.

PS Corvette owner's manuals have 444+ pages? Well, reason #24 why I don't have a Corvette...my attention span is too short to get through the owner's manual...now what were we talking about again?

Post Thanks / Like

I have dielectric grease so I will give that a try tonight. Do you think that will help restore the look or just prevent it from getting worse?
    The look of EPDM is not as "dark" (for a better lack of terms) as natural rubber. EPDM is very UV resistant and is not supposed to degrade (become totally oxidized/usefulness totally gone) for up to 15-20 years, even without any maintenance. Therefore, IMO... Using the proper lubricant should enhance/lengthen EPDM's expected life-expectancy-cycle. Don't know how "dark" you want to go, though.

Hope this was helpful.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a picture?

If its not porous and is what I think it is polish it with optimum poliseal.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Do you have a picture?

If its what I think it is polish it with optimum poliseal.
    Of the oxidation or the material?

I was trying to find one online before I posted the thread but came up empty.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the oxidation or the material?

I was trying to find one online before I posted the thread but came up empty.
    The material

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the same as the material on these windows?

I used something else on this one but I have used poliseal for this before with similar results.

- Copied from PERL review-

Window Seals:

One of the vehicles I was working on had some seriously nasty window seals. After attempting to clean them with rubber cleaner and a toothbrush I moved on to using water spot remover. This was able to clean them much better but the rot was too deep for me to be satisfied. I used my Flex 3401 armed with Duragloss Nano Polish and a tangerine HT pad to polish these seals before moving forward.

Before

Before

Uh Oh! It wasn’t a bird that did that! I spilled some of my polish but after cleaning up the mess and under the seal I moved forward.

After I finished polishing and cleaning the seals I applied Cquartz to them. After buffing them 30 minutes later I moved on to other things and came back later to coat them with PERL (neat)

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast