autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Waxing new paint?

How long to wait before I can wax fresh paint?

I was wondering if there was a time to wait before you wax/seal a freshly painted panel. At one time I heard you were suppose to wait 6 months before waxing on freshly painted panels. But I have also been told that it does not matter with todays finishes and curing techniques. The vehicle in question has a modern clear coat. What is the rule on this issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing new paint?

I also heard wait at least 6 months so the clear coat "cures/hardens" Thats what the body shop told me when I got mine painted.

Post Thanks / Like

new cars - wax whenever you want to. Preferably as soon as possible

repaints - wait 30 to 90 days to allow the paint to outgas and cure

Factory paint is cured at a much faster rate than a body shop repaint. Hence the reason you have to wait on a repaint.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask the guy who painted it - he's the only one who really knows.

It depends on how/if it was cured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post

Great answer.
    There's alot of variables.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post

The car is for a customer wanting a full interior and exterior detail job, and they told me that that it had been repainted, and she thought it was atleast a month ago or so, and she did give me the name of the body shop. So, I will just give them a call tomorrow, and check if its safe to wax yet. Better safe than sorry I guess. I was just checking to see if anyone was familiar with this subject. But after doing some searching on the internet, it varies from 30 days to atleast 3 or 4 months before waxing fresh paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
    The car is for a customer wanting a full interior and exterior detail job, and they told me that that it had been repainted, and she thought it was atleast a month ago or so, and she did give me the name of the body shop. So, I will just give them a call tomorrow, and check if its safe to wax yet. Better safe than sorry I guess. I was just checking to see if anyone was familiar with this subject. But after doing some searching on the internet, it varies from 30 days to atleast 3 or 4 months before waxing fresh paint.
    I had one door panel and front bumper re-painted and asked the same question and was told it was heat baked and I could wax anytime. So, I did and that was 2 years ago with no problems. Had my rear bumber re-painted 9 mos. ago and sealed and waxed with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

All of them are correct. Before you apply a wax on a repainted finish it has to be fully cured. Curing time varies by paint manufacturer, paint type and manner of curing; i would assume that this was air-cured (air-dried) and not baked because most body shops do not invest in ovens with UV light.

Your best alternative would be to get the paint information from your customer and grab a copy of its "tech sheet." You can find the curing time there. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have pondered this for years and still cannot find a concrete answer, which is better for newer paint a pure carnauba or a pure paint sealant ??? It has been suggested the high solvents, cleaners and polishes is what new paint should not be introduced too early until cured properly.

By definition a paint sealant seals and locks out the environment, what does this do to any outgassing ?? Traps it ??? Carnauba in its natural state protects the leaves of the tree and oxygen is taken in thru leaves, correct ?? Does that mean it breathes and can release gases while protecting ??

Body shops seem to go one way, the science seems another. Mythbusters ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I have pondered this for years and still cannot find a concrete answer, which is better for newer paint a pure carnauba or a pure paint sealant ??? It has been suggested the high solvents, cleaners and polishes is what new paint should not be introduced too early until cured properly.
    I've actually experienced this after application of a carnauba on a week old repaint. The thinner used if left uncured under the finish will find a way to seep out eventually creating bubbles. although the bubbles started appearing months after. But there was no way it was because of the prep work or during the actual painting. We couldn't tie it to anything but the wax applied.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    By definition a paint sealant seals and locks out the environment, what does this do to any outgassing ?? Traps it ??? Carnauba in its natural state protects the leaves of the tree and oxygen is taken in thru leaves, correct ?? Does that mean it breathes and can release gases while protecting ??
    I think paint sealants will also lock in the gas the same way as the nuba did. But this is just based on my experience. I'm not a scientist nor a chemist by profession..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast