autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black GMC Yukon Denali Paint semi corrected

This Yukon Denali was done for a co worker from my day job. My intention was to attempt to get it done in around ten hours. Who was I kidding? I ended up working 15 hours on just the exterior. This is far from my best work and it was explained to the owner that I'd not be going for show quality results but rather get it cleaned up, shiny and do a reduction in swirls.

I look at this truck every day at work and the owner keeps it pretty clean for the most part. It must be the lighting where he parks it but I thought it was in a little better shape. When I got up real close and started working on it, I knew that it was going to be a challenge.

I started by washing it with ONR in my driveway as we don't have an outside source of water here and car washing is prohibited in the mobile home park that I live in.

I washed and clayed each panel one at a time using Clay Magic Red Aggressive clay and ONR.

I did two separate test sections, one on the hood and one on the side panels.

The hood was by far the the panel in the worst condition so I started with M-105 with a 3M SuperBuff 2+2 wool pad on my Makita rotary polisher,

followed by an orange Poorboy's 5.5" variable contact pad for Flex Polishers and M-105 on my Makita rotary polisher,

followed by Red Poorboys 5.5" variable contact pad for Flex polishers and M-205 on my Makita rotary polisher.

Finally I finished with a red 5.5" PB VC pad and Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba (blue) on my Flex 3401.

For the rest of the panels I dropped the wool pad from the lineup but kept the same process otherwise.

All pillars were done using Makita rotary polisher with orange Cyclo pad and M-105 followed by Blue Cyclo pad with M-205.

This was a paint only job so I made quick work of the rest of the exterior clean up.

I cleaned the wheel wells with Optimum Power Clean and a soft bristled parts cleaning brush utilizing the leftover dirty ONR mixture in my wash bucket.

After all the polishing steps I drove the truck to the local DIY car wash and re applied the Optimum Power Clean to the wells and the wheels and pressure washed them off along with all the splattered up plastic parts such as the wiper cowl, running boards and rear bumper. The wheels then got a quick ONR spray and wipe. The tires were treated with Ultima Trim and Tire Guard.

I used the OPC to clean the splatter from the door jams and hinges too followed by a Poorboy's Spray and Gloss wipedown to gloss them up a bit.

The Optimum Power clean did a nice job of both removing the thick buildup of crud in the wheel wells and also at removing the polish splatter from the plastic parts and door jams.

In the interest of time the roof was just cleaned and coated with a generous coating of Ultima Paint Guard Plus. We were trying to keep the cost as low as possible and fit all the work into one day. I normally treat the roof the same as all the other panels.

In the end, I wasn't so impressed with my work on this one but I did exactly what I had set out to do which was to wow the customer and keep his cost low.

The customer was absolutely stoked when he came to pick the truck up. He said "WOW" many times and even sent me a text later in the evening saying how happy he was with his truck. He told me today at work that his wife wants her car done now.

Today at work the truck looked even better now that the Carnauba has had a chance to begin to cure a bit. If it doesn't rain tonight I plan on capturing a few more shots of it at work tomorrow to later post here.

On to the pictures.

Here's a few pics of the truck as it was delivered to me.

Here is the hood ready for the test section to be performed.

This shot is before doing the final polishing pass with the PWC (blue) and Flex 3401

This shot is after finishing with the Flex and PWC (blue)

Here are what I believe to be the two money shots from this job.

Passenger side hood.

Driver side hood.

Here are some other random shots of the finished paint

With camera Flash.

Thanks for looking, TD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black GMC Yukon Denali Paint semi corrected

Dang Dave!!!! Looking good... It may not be your best but it certainly looks great! What did the owner say when you gave it back?

Now get back inside to that A/C and relax... lol..
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that paint was hammered. Nice turn around. That picture of the hood (passenger side before) looks sooooo bad.

You must have one happy co-worker.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

thats one heck of a turn around......looks great, I know the owner is happy
    In GOD we trust

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

What a beast! Looks like you took a dent out of the swirls. I am also sure the customer is happy if he can recognize a swirl.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, Dave! I think besides myself that you are the only fan of the VC pads. I really wish more people would carray them! Great example of tayloring your skills to the customers needs while still providing that WOW factor!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrownKote View Post
    Dang Dave!!!! Looking good... It may not be your best but it certainly looks great! What did the owner say when you gave it back?

Now get back inside to that A/C and relax... lol..
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryMobile View Post
    Wow, that paint was hammered. Nice turn around. That picture of the hood (passenger side before) looks sooooo bad.

You must have one happy co-worker.
    Quote Originally Posted by dchristo View Post
    thats one heck of a turn around......looks great, I know the owner is happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    What a beast! Looks like you took a dent out of the swirls. I am also sure the customer is happy if he can recognize a swirl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Great job, Dave! I think besides myself that you are the only fan of the VC pads. I really wish more people would carray them! Great example of tayloring your skills to the customers needs while still providing that WOW factor!
    Thanks guys!! While it was a real challenge to work on, for me it was lots of fun to work on a black one again. I think when working on black paint, unless if it were for someone rich, we almost always work at a loss money wise. However, for me anyway...I consider the word of mouth that will come out of the deal and also the money shot photos that can be used for marketing purposes. That stuff to me is worth it's weight in gold.

OK let me ask you guys this question... The owner of this vehicle is not into detailing at all and wants a glaze/sealant/wax that will most effectively hide swirls...A kind of glaze with some good durability as an LSP...What product would you guys or anyone reading this thread recommend as a maintenance product for him?

Post Thanks / Like

i know you put a lot of time into this vehicle,but i have simular results,with meg# 3,and a blue foam pad,and mothers wax afterwards. seems a lot of folks like going over the vehicles several times.what is this doing to the clear coat,if it has it? and a lot of folks wont pay for all the time we spend doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    OK let me ask you guys this question... The owner of this vehicle is not into detailing at all and wants a glaze/sealant/wax that will most effectively hide swirls...A kind of glaze with some good durability as an LSP...What product would you guys or anyone reading this thread recommend as a maintenance product for him?

This may just fit for his needs! It is super easy to use and does a pretty good job of filling!

Prima Banana Gloss Liquid Wax, car wax
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Dave!

I can imagine how that job would take 15 hours or more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast