autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

So with all the hype surrounding this product I decided to get two bottles while AG was doing their 25% off last week. I've pretty much always use menzerna products along with lake country pads. I also use optimum gloss coat as my go to ceramic coating. I'm not a fan at all of glaze and fillers and pride myself on actual paint correction. I was giving the essence a go since it does have abrasives in it to provide correction. Along with trying the essence I wanted to try another ceramic coating and decided on Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coat.
    So I went about my correction process like any other with my wash, clay and compound. The compound used was Menzerna 400 on an orange LC pad. From there it was time to try the essence on an LC white pad. I stopped using it after 2 sections. Both attempts left spots that were difficult to wipe off, to the point that I had to use the machine again to remove it. I'm using the Flex 3401 between speeds 4-5 and doing about 4-5 passes to break it down good. I recall reading that it wants heat in order to work properly so I'm not sure what the deal is? I need to point out that the label on the bottom of the bottle has 2 dates on it. They are (5/16/17 and 6/16/17). I'm guessing this is the expiration date. I called AG about it and was told it was ok and that most chemicals last for 5 years with it being sealed and kept out of extreme temps.
    I know most people have a lot of good things to say about this product and I was hoping I would to but since I only do 1-2 cars a weekend I with Ill stick with my 5W-30 Menzerna 3500 as my finishing polish.
    I did get to use the PBL coating and much of what I read is true with regards to its fast flash time. Other than that it's as easy to apply as I've read also. Now it's just the waiting game to see how long it lasts. Here are some pics of the car I did with these products...I can't take the credit for the shot trim on the car but here she is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

Nice job. Try using less Essence and buff until it disappears into the paint. Very little to wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Nice job. Try using less Essence and buff until it disappears into the paint. Very little to wipe off.
    Ok, I'll give that a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetailer1 View Post
    Ok, I'll give that a go.
    I used very little and got the same results, spots that hardened up and had to be rebuffed. Also, not impressed with minimal correction results.

I give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

If you overwork the polish you will have issues. When used properly it can't be beat for a finishing polish.

- 3-4 pea sized drops spread over 2x2 section
    - 2 slow section passes at speed 4 with light pressure
    - 1 section pass on speed 3

Very little will be left for wipe off.

I use CPro Gloss Pads or Rupes White pads.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Atm I only reach for essence for 2 situations. I'm either applying it as a primer for CQUARTZ or using it as a 3rd step for any black paint. Metallic or not.
    I prime it and can use 2-3 pea size dots or just load up the pad doesn't matter. Spread it out and work it over the section or panel. It does not like to be overworked or heat. That's when dry smears show up or hard to remove residue. The reason I use it as a 3rd step for all black paints is because there's always this slight haze that even after refining it there's room for improvement. Wipes off extremely easy like a paint sealant when used correctly in buffing cycle to help reduce chance of micro marring with last step wipe off.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the previous comments - I think you are over-working the product. With my flex 3401 I usually do 3 passes. The first 2 around speed 4 or 4.5 with a little bit of pressure and the last, easing up on the pressure and dropping the machine speed to around 3 or 3.5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    If you overwork the polish you will have issues. When used properly it can't be beat for a finishing polish.

- 3-4 pea sized drops spread over 2x2 section
    - 2 slow section passes at speed 4 with light pressure
    - 1 section pass on speed 3

Very little will be left for wipe off.

I use CPro Gloss Pads or Rupes White pads.
    Agree. The key with essence on the 3401 is you can not go above speed 5. My sweet spot in summer is just one "click" under 5 and I get plenty of working time. I haven't posted many pics lately as I've just been too too busy on so many things but I'll put some up tonight as I used it on the last 4-5 details I've done.

In terms of polish and end results, it's no better IMO than any of the really good ones. IMO I consider Meg's 205 and the Menzerna twins very good. The difference is Essence is a great base for coatings and it does contain some fillers to help with micro marring. I have been using it with both Cquartz and McKee's or in some cases 22PLe with great success on all of them. Our van is coming up on a full year and in last weeks monsoon rains we had, the vehicle performed like it was coated just that week. Even the guy at the repair shop commented on it as we waited for the rain to slow before he got the mileage off it.

With Essence I do about 3-4 passes with slow arm speed. The last pass is done with very little pressure. That's all it takes and it removes with ease. I will state that I don't use it to remove swirls or any imperfections, but rather as post-correction product to sharpen and enhance the gloss after I have corrected the car with a light to medium compound and purple wool pads. The correction leaves only a very very slight haze that on lighter colors is barely if at all noticeable but on reds or darker colors it's there. I only mention this as I've seen others using it as an AIO get frustrated. Again, Essence removes it with super easy effort and the results are outstanding.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Polishes (essence and reflect) are unique, so if you try to use them like a Menzerna or Meguiar's polish, you're going to have a bad time...

- Start with an unprimed pad. Do not prime your pad. Don't think about priming your pad.
    - Apply 4-5 small dots of product to your dry pad (you will use just 2-3 small dots after this initial section)
    - Spread the product onto your working area by dabbing the pad on the paint, or by doing a very quick pass at low speed
    - Work the product at speed 4-5 with firm, but not heavy pressure. Work slowly and make just 2 passes. At this point the product should be broken down and VERY easy to wipe away.
    - If needed, make a 3rd pass with a slower speed and no pressure, then wipe away. I would not make any more than 3 passes.
    - Clean the pad with a brush after every section.

**Essence works best on firmer polishing pads. My favorite is the Rupes yellow pad.**

I struggled with CarPro Reflect for a while until Corey coached me on how to use the product. Since then I have LOVED Essence and Reflect as they behave in the same manner. Super easy to use, super quick, excellent results.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Agree. The key with essence on the 3401 is you can not go above speed 5. My sweet spot in summer is just one "click" under 5 and I get plenty of working time. I haven't posted many pics lately as I've just been too too busy on so many things but I'll put some up tonight as I used it on the last 4-5 details I've done.

In terms of polish and end results, it's no better IMO than any of the really good ones. IMO I consider Meg's 205 and the Menzerna twins very good. The difference is Essence is a great base for coatings and it does contain some fillers to help with micro marring. I have been using it with both Cquartz and McKee's or in some cases 22PLe with great success on all of them. Our van is coming up on a full year and in last weeks monsoon rains we had, the vehicle performed like it was coated just that week. Even the guy at the repair shop commented on it as we waited for the rain to slow before he got the mileage off it.

With Essence I do about 3-4 passes with slow arm speed. The last pass is done with very little pressure. That's all it takes and it removes with ease. I will state that I don't use it to remove swirls or any imperfections, but rather as post-correction product to sharpen and enhance the gloss after I have corrected the car with a light to medium compound and purple wool pads. The correction leaves only a very very slight haze that on lighter colors is barely if at all noticeable but on reds or darker colors it's there. I only mention this as I've seen others using it as an AIO get frustrated. Again, Essence removes it with super easy effort and the results are outstanding.
    I personally felt that the Menzerna had a little more gloss over the essence. I get that the essence has the added benefit for you if you are going to a ceramic topper. For me personally I'll take the time on the extra step of needing to wipe down the car with some coating prep after Menzerna for the sake of that extra gloss. With that, I'll give the essence another try later when I redo something on my personal car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast