autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restoring Single Stage Paint on a 1973 Ford Bronco

Thanks. There are a lot of bad spots in both the paint and the body, but that's ok with me as long as I can get it cleaned up. I kind of like the patina look where the primer or metal shows through.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a beauty mark AZ Mike and it adds character for a short bodied 73 Bronco painted light Blue

Post Thanks / Like

What a great project and turn around. How many coats? That's a good question.
    My guess would be start with two to ensure full coverage. Let it sit for 24 hrs or more and do a test spot with another coat, and see if that helps. Sourveran Paste (and liquid) are both amazing LSP's.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul. My shipment with the wax should arrive tomorrow. I have applied two coats of Mirror Glaze #7 and it looks go so I am thinking about applying the first coat of wax tomorrow after I get home from work. It is sitting in my garage, so I assume just dusting it off before I start waxing would be sufficient, agree?

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Mike Phillips

Beautiful beautiful work!

I love those old Broncos and the fact that yours has the original single stage paint brought back to life by you is truly a detailing success story!

Thank you for taking the time to take pictures then create a write-up and share it with our forum.

It's write-ups like this that make this forum the best car detailing forum on the net.

If you re-polish with the #7 once in a while and use a traditional carnauba wax on this original paint the paint will last as long as the Bronco.

Thank you for sharing!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Xsquid View Post

Starting on Monday I hope to begin the waxing process using Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax although at this time I am not sure how many coats of the wax I need to put on.
    Just one, well-applied thin coat. You can wipe of off immediately or allow it to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.

Even with just the M7 on and not yet rubbed out you can start to see a little shine coming into the paint.

Looks amazing!

Single stage paint is my favorite paint to restore. It's REAL paint. Modern clearcoats are basically plastic.

Mike Phillips

There are a lot of bad spots in both the paint and the body, but that's ok with me as long as I can get it cleaned up.

I kind of like the patina look where the primer or metal shows through.

Me too.

I've owned a couple of classic Chevy trucks where I restored the original paint as well as a classic 1959 Cadillac where I restored the original paint and all of these had a few places, mostly on horizontal surfaces where the paint was worn away from natural causes and wear-n-tear.

It was just part of the "look" for cars and trucks this old.

Now days guys are taking cars and trucks and PURPOSEFULLY making them look aged in the Rad Rod genre of the car hobby.

Just keep the worn areas polished and waxed and any bare steel won't rust.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the comments Mike. This is my first time doing anything like this so the forum has been a huge help. I only have two coats of #7 on the Bronco and want to do 2 more before I wax and that will have to be later in the week. The interesting thing is that I did 4 coats of M7 on the hard top and then covered it in the garage with a sheet. Took the sheet of a few dyas later and you could already see the shine starting to fade. That paint is so dry, I think that it had just absorbed all of the oil in the polish. Since it is warm here in San Diego we will be driving with the top off for the next few months so I will just keep adding polish and covering until it is saturated and then wax it.

One other question.
    Once it is waxed, what do I need to do before I put on another coat of polish? Do I just do a waterless wash and then put the polish over the wax?

Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the comments Mike. This is my first time doing anything like this so the forum has been a huge help. I only have two coats of #7 on the Bronco and want to do 2 more before I wax and that will have to be later in the week. The interesting thing is that I did 4 coats of M7 on the hard top and then covered it in the garage with a sheet. Took the sheet of a few dyas later and you could already see the shine starting to fade. That paint is so dry, I think that it had just absorbed all of the oil in the polish. Since it is warm here in San Diego we will be driving with the top off for the next few months so I will just keep adding polish and covering until it is saturated and then wax it.

One other question.
    Once it is waxed, what do I need to do before I put on another coat of polish? Do I just do a waterless wash and then put the polish over the wax?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Hey Jim. Welcome to the forum and I enjoyed reading about your project. You have a cool, classic truck. If I could give you a little advice... it seems you are looking for more of a shine. I would recommend polishing to get the shine you're after. I did a similar project a while back and one of the things that got it to it's final look was the polishing step. If I only stopped after the M7 steps, it would be a huge improvement over the original state of the paint, but it would look dull, even with the wax applied.

Here's a link describing the steps I took: Resurrection! Breathing New Life Into Dead Paint

I think if you used a good polish and buffed it to a nice shine, you'd be very pleased. M7 is a great product, but it is not a polish. It's more of a finishing product, like a wax, minus the protection. The fringe benefit is that it revives oxidized paint.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Mike Phillips

Always sad to see the photos screwed up with the Photoshop watermark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12