autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2009 Corvette - Rupes 15 Mark II + Rupes Mini + Rupes UHS + Blackfire Wet Diamond

The owner of this one is my brothers girlfriend. She is the second owner of this corvette. My brother helped me with this one as well.

I forgot to get a before photo prior to us starting but the car was rather clean.

We started on the inside and it was clean as well. We did a light vacuum. We gave the interior a wipedown with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer followed by 303 Automotive Protectant. The interior was a bit dry so it took a couple coats of 303 to rehydrate it.

We cleaned the interior glass with DP Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner.

The leather seats were cleaned with Meguiar's D181 Leather cleaner and protected with Meguiar's Ultimate Leather Balm.

We finished off the interior with a Meguiar's New Car Scent Air-Refresher Odor Eliminator.

Here's the finished look. These were taken the following day after the paint correction process.

After the interior was complete we moved on to the exterior.

Prior to washing I cleaned the wheels and tires. I used Meguiar's D143 on the wheels and tires. Also cleaned the wheel wells with Meguiar's D108.

We moved onto using the Mike Phillips aggressive wash method

Ironx doing it's thing.

The Adams foam gun with 2.5 ounces of DP Xtreme Foam Car Shampoo

My bro giving the car a foam bath

Here he is having a little fun with the foam gun. Excuse the loud noises from the neighbors.

We resumed with claying the car. There was not a lot of surface contaminants on the surface which was a good thing as we finished claying rather quickly.

The color hides defects pretty well but the defects that were in the paint were not that bad.

I didn't take to many photos while we were correcting it.

This was the perfect opportunity to use the new Rupes LHR15 Mark II that I received a few weeks back. I also picked up the Rupes UHS system over on Autopia. My Rupes Mini showed up just in time to knock out the smaller areas.

Also used the Meguiar's MT300 with the Rupes UHS. Worked well with the UHS system.

Here are some of the defects in the paint. Very minor and hard to capture with the camera.

They were taken care of with a few passes using the Rupes UHS

The Rupes Mini was put to work right away. The 3" UHS pads fit into the recessed tail lights just right.

Before

After

For protection the car received Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Protection.

Here are some photos of the car sitting overnight in the garage. The Rupes UHS polishing compound added some nice gloss.

Reflection shot after the car sat in the garage overnight.

We gave this a final wipe with Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax.

Pulled it outside and the finish was swirl free. The Rupes UHS system was a rockstar on this one.

Nice gloss and hood reflections

Reflections on the targa top

Reflection off the driver side door

The wheels were clayed and sealed with Adams Quick Sealant. The tires were dressed with two coats of Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel.

Some various other things we did. The trim was cleaned with Meguiar's D103. These front pillars and the front cowl were protected with 303 Trim Restorer & Protectant. I found out that this works best on textured trim.

I had to remove 303 off the smooth black decklid trim as it was too streaky for my liking. I went with wolfgang exterior trim sealant for that area as well as the front grille and rear valence.

Before shot of the front trim on the passenger side. The coating on part of the trim has failed.

After using 303 Trim Restorer & Protectant

My brother loves Blackfire All In One Trim & Tire Protectant that he went for a little cosmetic engine make over. He used an Adams lug nut style brush and a microfiber to wipe off any residue.

Before

After

She was very happy with the end result. The silver paint just popped and looked great.

I was very impressed with the Rupes UHS system. It worked great and it saved a lot of time. It had virtually zero dusting which was a huge plus. It worked great with the Rupes LHR15 Mark II and the Rupes Mini. These are two of the tools used. The UHS system also worked really well with Meguiar's MT300.

The LHR15 Mark II is an impressive tool. I had no stalling issues with it. It's such a quiet tool with little to no vibration.

The mini was a beast. Great tool for those smaller areas. Much better experience than using a 3" pad on the PC7424XP that I have used for quite sometime.

Blackfire was impressive as well. It was the first time I used it. It is very slick. It is so easy to wipe off. One of the easiest sealants I have ever wiped off.

Products and tools used:

Interior:

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
    Meguiar's D181 Leather Cleaner
    Meguiar's Ultimate Leather Balm
    Meguiar's Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator (New Car Scent)
    303 Automotive Protectant
    DP Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner

Exterior:

CarPro IronX Lemon Scent
    DP Xtreme Foam Car Shampoo
    Meguiar's M34 as clay lube
    Clay Magic Clay Bar
    Rupes UHS system
    Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Protection
    Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray wax
    DP Glass Restorer Polish (front & rear glass only)
    DP Coating Prep Polish
    DP Glass Coating

Trim:

Meguiar's D103 APC+
    303 Trim Restorer & Protectant (front cowl & front pillars)
    Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (lower rear valance & rear decklid)

Wheels, wheel wells and tires:

Meguiar's D108 (wheel wells)
    Meguiar's D143
    Blakfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel
    Adams Quick Sealant
    Meguiar's D4510 (wheel wells)

Engine:

Blackfire All in One Time & Tire Protectant

Exhaust Tips:

Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener

Tools:
    Rupes LHR15 Mark II
    Rupes Mini
    Meguiar's MT300

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2009 Corvette - Rupes 15 Mark II + Rupes Mini + Rupes UHS + Blackfire Wet Diamond

Great detailed review buddy, thanks for sharing. You guys did a wonderful job. Those after shots are extremely eye catching. I just tried out my Mark II today. Very happy with the updates Rupes made. Ultra smooth and considerably less stalling on curved and vertical panels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2009 Corvette - Rupes 15 Mark II + Rupes Mini + Rupes UHS + Blackfire Wet Diamond

Amazing job Mike! That silver paint looks so slick and glossy!

How long did it take you?

Great write up too man! Keep up the good work.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a very nice car. Previous owner must have taken good care off it.

Your work looks perfect. The hood reflection shot gives the illusion that the hood and fenders are chromed. Looks like the reflection off those chromed Bugattis. That must be some reflective paint.

I like those wheels clean and simple design.

I've used Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant on one entire car and it sits outside 24/7. I see the car a lot, isn't mine. The car stays way cleaner than if it wasn't sealed. Just like you and everyone says, BFWD it is so easy to use.

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup Mike and killer results. I always enjoy your posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Even more impressive than that stunning paint is that you Hyperlinked all of the products you used in the thread. Talk about make it easy for a guy to buy what you used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Great detailed review buddy, thanks for sharing. You guys did a wonderful job. Those after shots are extremely eye catching. I just tried out my Mark II today. Very happy with the updates Rupes made. Ultra smooth and considerably less stalling on curved and vertical panels
    Thanks. I am happy with the Mark II.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Amazing job Mike! That silver paint looks so slick and glossy!

How long did it take you?

Great write up too man! Keep up the good work.
    Thanks. I would to say around 10 hours with a few breaks in between. The paint alone with the UHS took about 5 hours. The glass prep took some time as there was some water spots and a film on the front and rear glass that I took care of.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Looks like a very nice car. Previous owner must have taken good care off it.

Your work looks perfect. The hood reflection shot gives the illusion that the hood and fenders are chromed. Looks like the reflection off those chromed Bugattis. That must be some reflective paint.

I like those wheels clean and simple design.

I've used Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant on one entire car and it sits outside 24/7. I see the car a lot, isn't mine. The car stays way cleaner than if it wasn't sealed. Just like you and everyone says, BFWD it is so easy to use.
    Thanks. I was surprised at how well it was maintained by the previous owner.

The paint has a distinct look at various angles and light. In the garage under the lights it looked almost white.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb@ImpeccableImage View Post
    Great writeup Mike and killer results. I always enjoy your posts.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chriskraft3 View Post
    Even more impressive than that stunning paint is that you Hyperlinked all of the products you used in the thread. Talk about make it easy for a guy to buy what you used.
    Thanks. That was the intention. I did not link the DP line since it is going to be part of the new McKee's 37 line.

Post Thanks / Like

•Nice job on bringing out the true beauty
    of that 2009's Blade Silver Metallic paint.

And...
    •{I'll say the following without even
    knowing what camera was used }:
    -It appears that the interior came out very well, too.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Nice job on bringing out the true beauty
    of that 2009's Blade Silver Metallic paint.
    Thanks Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •{I'll say the following without even
    knowing what camera was used }:
    -It appears that the interior came out very well, too.
    Touché

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks. I am happy with the Mark II.

Thanks. I would to say around 10 hours with a few breaks in between. The paint alone with the UHS took about 5 hours. The glass prep took some time as there was some water spots and a film on the front and rear glass that I took care of.

Thanks. I was surprised at how well it was maintained by the previous owner.

The paint has a distinct look at various angles and light. In the garage under the lights it looked almost white.

Thanks.

Thanks. That was the intention. I did not link the DP line since it is going to be part of the new McKee's 37 line.
    What kind of film was on the glass? I'm assuming it was on the outside of the glass? What steps did you use to remove the film and water spots?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast