autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My First Range Rover Evoque...and a white one to boot!!

OK, so maybe you can tell from the title that I was a little excited about doing this vehicle. I fell in love with them at the Detroit Auto show several years ago, and, to me, they haven't lost any of their panache. This is a repeat customer for whom I did a detail using CQF on a brand new Jag F type. (They obviously have great taste in vehicles!)

Anyway, it was booked in for a wheels-off, CQF detail. There was one small scratch in the RF passenger door that was easily dealt with. Other than that, it was a joy to work on. Of course, being white, it had contamination to deal with. More on that in a bit.

Here she is as it arrived:

The afore-mentioned scratch:

First up as always for me is the wheels. I thought these would be a GREAT test vehicle for the PWC wheel cleaner that I had reviewed on AG a few weeks ago. However, the barrels were also nasty and I wanted to use my go-to Tarminator on those first. Tarminator plays the best on a dry wheel I find. I shot the barrel with Tarminator and agitated with my Daytona brush. (Yes, my arms looked like I had some funky disease). Without rinsing it off, I then applied the PWC cleaner directly to the barrel and the face and allowed it to sit. I wondered if it would work #1 and also whether it would play nice with Tarminator #2. Well, here is a wheel after a few minutes of dwell time:

So, ya, I'd say it worked just fine. That process was repeated on each of the remaining wheels. The barrels were cleaned with LA Totally Awesome and the tires cleaned twice with Zep 505.

It was then sprayed down with IronX and allowed to dwell. The sides were not as bad as I expected them to be. There ended up being some contamination higher up that I had to deal with at claying. The car was then washed with Megs HW and then again for a 2nd decontamination stage using IronX paste and a wash mitt.

I then brought it inside to clay. I started using my CarPro clay towel but found there was some contamination that didn't get removed chemically, and the clay towel was ineffective in removing as well so I busted out my Riccardo blue clay and after warming it up for 30 seconds in the microwave, used it to remove the contamination on the paint. That did the trick just fine.

Now was wheel removal time. You think you got the wheels pretty clean using the various brushes, and it looks that way when they're still on the car. But, removal is the only way to get it thoroughly clean. Check out this barrel that I had cleaned while on the car:

You can see where the spokes are make it difficult to reach the complete area. The wheel was intensively cleaned with Tarminator and then I used Duragloss Squeaky Clean chemical cleaner to ensure nothing was left on the surface. Here it is after having used the SC:

The barrel was then double coated in CQF. Here it is all done:

The face was also double coated:

While waiting between coats, the caliper was cleaned and coated too. I also did an intensive cleaning of the plastic wells (up front only, the rears were fabric). The plastic wells were then coated with the beta sample of the DG trim coating:

After installing the wheel back on, I shot the tire with Opti Bond from my spray gun prior to lowering the wheel, so it could get completely treated. The wheel was then lowered and torqued back to spec.

Now it was time to smoke a cigar...oops, play with paint! What I ended up settling on for a good shine and to remove some slight imperfections was a yellow B/S pad + Sonax Perfect Finish + Flex 3401. I ran it at 4.5-5 so as to not get it too hot. That seemed to work. I followed that step with DG Squeaky Clean + white B/S + Flex to ensure proper bonding, and to chemically clean the paint as well. I love using a white pad with SC as it will show what it is pulling from the paint. The pad stayed white so I knew it was good, clean paint that was left.

The windshield and back glass got a double coat of Forte. The paint, head and tail lights and glass top panel were all double coated with CQF. The trim was done with DLux.

Here are some inside shots first:

Now THAT'S how a barrel should look!

Dlux looking amazing too!

I might be small, but I come from a mighty family!!

I don't think there's a bad angle on this thing at all!

DG Trim looking amazing!

Some white reflection shots:

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My First Range Rover Evoque...and a white one to boot!!

Great work as usual my friend. Looks super Fresh in white. That DG stuff you used on the wheel wells looks great as well. Keep up the great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job, always enjoy reading your posts!

Post Thanks / Like

As usual awesome. Two questions, how long does a job like this take you (wheels off)? Do you have a Ranger Quick Lift?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Great work as usual my friend. Looks super Fresh in white. That DG stuff you used on the wheel wells looks great as well. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks so much Don! Yes, I love using it for that application.

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    Excellent job, always enjoy reading your posts!
    Thanks so much! I've been using this format for several years and even though it is more work for me to do it that way, I feel it helps others to share the info. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    As usual awesome. Two questions, how long does a job like this take you (wheels off)? Do you have a Ranger Quick Lift?
    Thanks Paul! This job took me about 15-16 hours. Dressing the wells, etc takes a bit longer, but is worth it to me.
    No, I just use a jack at each corner and do them one at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Another beautiful job with associated documentaion my former Constable of Canadian Codes! That thing looks brand spankin' new.

BTW, i'll give ya $1000 for whats left in that bottle of DG Squeaky Clean!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!! My First Range Rover Evoque...and a white one to boot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Another beautiful job with associated documentaion my former Constable of Canadian Codes! That thing looks brand spankin' new.

BTW, i'll give ya $1000 for whats left in that bottle of DG Squeaky Clean!
    Hahaha...love the alliteration! That reminds me that I need to get some more myself. I've gone through a quart of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks amazing Richy! fantastic work as always my friend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver5882 View Post
    Awesome!! My First Range Rover Evoque...and a white one to boot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    Looks amazing Richy! fantastic work as always my friend
    Thanks so much and thanks for commenting. I do appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast