autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 Full Detail + Coating with Pinnacle Black Label

Dear AGO friends,

Today I'll be sharing one of the latest works performed at my 'old home-based detailing business' before moving to my new Detailing Studio.

If I had to pick a single car brand to work with, Mercedes would be on top of my list: their cars are not only beautiful but very well constructed in every detail, their paint is a pleasure to work with (for my taste), and all those factors positively converges to a successful results achievement. In Portuguese we'd say it 'Answers very well' to careful detailing approaches.

I'll try to be brief on text part and let the pictures do the talk. I'll also do my best to share details of my process, however, feel free to ask if you need further information on any subject.

Here it is, arranged for a full detail + coating. Unfortunately (IMO) customer neglected it more than necessary before bringing it to my garage for new car prep, but like many say, better doing something 'sooner rather than later'...

It's convertible features are really cool but I'll not enter in much details on this subject: there was a lot to be done other than playing transformers with my customer's car!

Damage to rear bumper not only scratched it but detached and bent it. Other than polishing and touch-up approaches, I had to slowly re-shape it by hand using some of my 'Physical Therapist' skills.

It was done few times every 30 minutes or so till I reach the original position. I'm very patient and persistent, but I only reached the desired results right after giving up the task. Uff!, relieved.

More on details, before:

Back to the subject, I've agreed with customer on a full detail + coating, but we decided I'd do something (nothing huge) to the bumper scratch. Let's see it again:

Here it is during the initial phase of 'repair':

Touch-ups are never a perfect solution, but I was honest when I said to customer defects would be barely noticeable from 1 meter away. Here it is touched up with color, then clear coat:

I had an entire neglected car to work with on a time constraint, so I decided not to sand over the edge being repaired, to avoid increasing the damage and also to avoid the 'endless loop' of putting on touch up and removing touch up, over and over.

I looked from a meter away and stopped, enough for that task in that occasion - called it a day and moved on.

Outside observation also demonstrated my conservative approach wasn't the worst decision:

Passenger's rearview mirror, scratched:

Polished:

Honesty shot: (some defects can be too deep for removal)

Driver's side had minor contaminants which worked out simpler and faster.
    Before:

After:

Emblems - A Passion of mine.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Sun adding depth:

Small details, huge transformations: I have enough pictures to write a complete thread about only the Mercedes rear logo,
    Before:

After:

Windshield, wipers, Before1:

Before2:

After:

Engine wasn't dirty compared to rest of car,

But it always looks better detailed, clean:

Door Jambs, Passenger's Side:

Driver's Side:

After:

Door Sill, before:

After Cleanup:

After Polishing:

Interior

My coworker gave me only a pair of pictures from interior saying it was all she had. Well, hats off to my wife's synthesis capacity and pristine work performed. Before:

After:

---

Wheels, passenger side, Before:

After:

Driver's side, Before:

Close-up:

After:

Feel the Grit:

Harsh, contaminated, gross:

No more:

Driver's side Before:

After:

Outside picture, After:

Studio picture, After:

General view, After:
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 Full Detail + Coating with Pinnacle Black Label

Passenger's side, outside picture, After:

Passenger's door and handle, After:

Every crevice and cranny needed to be worked to exhaustion, otherwise I would end with less than desired results. Before:

After:

Glass Roof
    Before, water spots, overspray and so...

Feeling harsh as 40 grit:

After, smooth, clear and reflective as glass (should be):

Paint evaluation and approach

Similar to the glass roof paint was presenting water spotting, overspray and already exhibiting minor swirls. I've performed a full decontamination procedure consisting of a formal wash, iron-x, tar-x, spotless, and clayed everything out using a nanoskin.

For the polishing step, my test spot guided me towards a white hybrid pad, Menzerna SF4000 and 'Smack's Technique' for the win. In summary, an one-step using the least aggressive approach to get the job done. And the finish provided by SF4000 always (ALWAYS) enchant me.

Before:

After:

After (under the sun):

Hood sections being inspected for quality after being polished and coated with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating:

Hood Sections being inspected under the sun:

More on details, Before:

After (see it shining down there!)

---

Ready for delivery: Customer arrived and expressed huge satisfaction for the work performed. Reaching customers expectations worth all effort, much more than the 'money reward'.

Follow me through the last walk around:

... And there she goes... altogether with a free advertising for the 103.9 Intersom FM, one of the best radios we have around!

___

That's it. I felt the need to share a work performed at my old garage in order to honor all the good it brought me through those detailing years. It's the end of a good cycle, and the start of a better one.

I wish by heart to have you by my side during this new journey, since I owe all I do detailing-related to you.

That said please, feel free to ask, comment, add critics, suggestions, you're always VERY welcome.

Thank you very much for watching,

Kind Regards,

From Brazil.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! What a turn around!

Absolutely beautiful workmanship. I too am a fan of German cars & dare I say it - love them in Silver. The clarity & detail restored to every part of this car is amazing. Some of the pictures of the before & afters, you'd almost swear it was a different car, camera . . . something - just such a difference.

Great job on the repair too mate, very nice.

Fantastic post! Really enjoyable - thanks for sharing!

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for showing me this thread my friend.
    All I can say is WOW!
    Amazing work. That machine look flawless and dripping wet... Love these pictures
    2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 Full Detail + Coating with Pinnacle Black Label-imageuploadedbyagonline1436608103-700137-jpg2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 Full Detail + Coating with Pinnacle Black Label-imageuploadedbyagonline1436608112-810007-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Wow!! What a turn around!

Absolutely beautiful workmanship. I too am a fan of German cars & dare I say it - love them in Silver. The clarity & detail restored to every part of this car is amazing. Some of the pictures of the before & afters, you'd almost swear it was a different car, camera . . . something - just such a difference.

Great job on the repair too mate, very nice.

Fantastic post! Really enjoyable - thanks for sharing!

Aaryn NZ.
    Thank you so very much for kind words Aaryn, really glad you enjoyed and appreciate you taking your time to share your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    Thanks for showing me this thread my friend.
    All I can say is WOW!
    Amazing work. That machine look flawless and dripping wet... Love these pictures
    2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 Full Detail + Coating with Pinnacle Black Label-imageuploadedbyagonline1436608103-700137-jpg2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 Full Detail + Coating with Pinnacle Black Label-imageuploadedbyagonline1436608112-810007-jpg
    Thank you my friend, your feedback is of much importance as an incentive and a guide towards where I must follow. Count on me.

Best Wishes.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Tato!

Your attention to the "details of the detail" is amazing. I'd have written that rear bumper off but you made it look nearly new again!

Would you share your process for improving the wipers if you have a moment? This is something I need to address on my 335i.

Great job my friend and great to see you back in action!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I was just thinking the other day that we have not seen a "Tato" show & shine in a while. Thanks for taking the time to post your work, you continue to inspire

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you back! Your work on that Benz is there with the very best I've seen. It's quite evident that you love what you do. That Benz hasn't looked that good since it left Germany!

Post Thanks / Like

That is unreal! Amazing work! How long was that altogether?

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work as always Rafael! SF4000 on the white Hybrid really transformed that paint. The afters show your dedication quite well.

Happy to see you back in action again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast