autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ferrari 612 Detail – With Pics

Hey everyone,

This is my first bigger write up on Autogeek, so apologies if it isn’t perfect, or as in depth as other people make them. I'm just an enthusiast and no professional by any means. I mostly work/experiment on my car, but do the family cars when I can. Also, all pics are taken with my iPhone as best as I could, I left my camera in FL…

A while back I made a post about going back home to Europe to work on some family cars and what kind of paint Ferraris have (hard/soft). With some helpful comments from other members I was able to successfully identify what products and pads I needed and made the investment to buy as many supplies in the US and take them with me in order to save some money. The prices are quite different here (shipping + import costs). So with the basic equipment gathered I began the process of detailing our cars. First up a 2006 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti in Nero DS (my favorite Ferrari made to date).

Equipment used:
    CG Honeydew + Citrus wash
    CG Blacklight
    Collinite 845
    Foam Canon
    Karcher K5
    LC Flat 5.5” Orange pad
    LC Flat 5.5” + 3” White pad
    LC Flat 5.5” + 3" Black pad
    LC Flat 5.5" Blue pad
    Meguiars Cutting pad
    Meguiars APC (4:1)
    Meguiars UPW
    Menzerna FG400
    Menzerna FF3000
    Various brushes

Correction Line Up:

I started by giving the car a thorough washing. So the usual 2BM decon wash. I followed with a light claying with QD while the car was still wet, then rinsed and dried using compressed air (MF towel where needed). Then I polished the car, glazed it, waxed it, re-washed it, and finished there.

The car wasn’t in a really bad state to begin with, just your usual marring and light scratches from driving and washing it over the years. No major scratches were found, just some chips in the front filled in with touch up paint.

Apologies for the lack of in depth before pics. I’ve just now realized, looking at the photo album, that I have less pictures than I thought. I was too eager to start the process and forgot... Going to be better about it next time. Sorry!

Some watermarks and slight scratches that were found all around the body:

The only deeper scratch that needed a little touch up:

Restoring the deep gloss with FF3000:

Here are pictures just after polishing alone: (Don't mind the polishing dust...)

(CG Blacklight was applied after these pics)

Collinite bonding as the base wax on top of CG Blacklight, later topped with Megs UPW:

Here are some final shots:

The paint on this car is a little harder to work with than I thought. It was hard to get the correction out of it that I was looking for. I was glad that I bought some FG400, because I really needed it on some parts to get any correction whatsoever.
    All in all it was fun to work on this car, but the hood nearly killed me. There was just so much surface area to cover that I had to take a break half way, definitely more work than I anticipated, but I am very happy with the results. More write ups to come soon.

Please share your thoughts, comments. Just please be nice, it’s my first big write up!
    Thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ferrari 612 Detail – With Pics

Great work on a stunning car!

Good job on the writeup too - enjoyed seeing your progress and the car looks awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. Props to you for putting in all that work on that beautiful car. Would be a very nice day to be able to detail an exotic while in Europe.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work and thanks for sharing it with us. Great write up too. Make no apologies there!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job on the car and the write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

What kind of polisher are you working with? It kind of looks like the new Megs MT300 but I am not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by geekdout View Post
    What kind of polisher are you working with? It kind of looks like the new Megs MT300 but I am not sure.
    It does look similar to the MT300, but this machine has been on the market here in Europe for a while now. It's a Krauss S08, created in Germany I believe. Picture the body of the MT300 and more power than a GG6, but operating smoother, cooler, and quieter than the GG6, all in the same price range (~160 Euro depending where you buy it). This machine is also available as an S21 (21mm throw), but the S08 is perfect for me.

I have the GG6 back in the US, and I must say that the Krauss is every bit as good, if not better. Only thing I wish it has was an option for a longer power cord.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Car looks fantastic! I was also going to comment on the polisher. It looks similar to the maxshine unit. Same company?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OvalDrive View Post
    Car looks fantastic! I was also going to comment on the polisher. It looks similar to the maxshine unit. Same company?
    Thanks! Different I think. The ones made by Krauss are labeled Shinemaster S08/S21