autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2012 White Mustang with Finest

This customer found me through a referral. After discussing the 3 different coatings I offer, he chose to go with Finest. I was not going to be doing the wheels per usual as he is having some work done to them. They will be coated subsequently. I quoted him a one step polish but it ended up needing more than that. I ended up eating 2 hours but it looked so damned good that I was OK with it.

Here it is as it arrived.

Check out these very cool wheels!!

Even though I wasn't going to be coating the wheels, I still ended up cleaning them thoroughly. The barrels were cleaned with Megs HW and a big wheel woolie. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505. The wells were cleaned with LATA. The faces were cleaned with Megs HW and a wash mitt.

The car was then hand washed with Megs HW. That was followed by a second hand wash using IronX paste. The car was then clayed with a Speedy Prep towel.

The hood had the most defects. It had been repainted for the aftermarket hood. I wanted to try HD Adapt on it to see how it would do as I hadn't tried it yet. I tried it with a yellow B/S pad. The defects just laughed at this combo! I stepped it up to a black TB wool pad thinking it would be too aggressive...not at all! It got rid of most of the defects (not all) but even more amazingly, it finished down really well. Much better than you would think for wool. I know this paint was absolutely rock hard which had everything to do with how it finished down. I followed that stage with a green B/S pad + DG Squeaky Clean to inspect the work. I found my working combo! The paint, head lights, tail lights and glass excluding windshield were coated with CQF. The windshield got Fly-by-30 (2 coats too).

It was a beautiful sunny day after completing the first coat of CQF and I wanted to shoot a few pics just in case the weather didn't co-operate the next day. No trim coating yet. No tire dressing yet either.

The next day the second coat got added. I just want to say how immensely pleased I was that the CQF did not alter the appearance of the flat decals one bit! It did make them slick as Hell though. After the second coat, the trim was coated with DLux and the tires were shot with Opti Bond via my spray gun at 100%. Here are a few shots of the finished product both inside and out:

A few chip repairs got done as well:

Exhaust tips hand polished with M205 and then coated. Trim done with DLux:

Thanks for looking! Comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 White Mustang with Finest

Awesome Richy!! I just started using Adapt as well and even better, my first foray was on a Mustang. I love it enough to make it a staple of my arsenal.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. When I glanced at the first pic, I thought the car had fog lights turned on, but it was only you blocking out the plate LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work sir! So now you can wait for the second coat? Sounds familiar?

Post Thanks / Like

Always love seeing your write-ups! Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    I ended up eating 2 hours but it looked so damned good that I was OK with it.
    It's this kind of thinking that sets certain detailers apart! Focusing on quality. It shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    Awesome Richy!! I just started using Adapt as well and even better, my first foray was on a Mustang. I love it enough to make it a staple of my arsenal.

HUMP
    Thanks Hump! Yes, I saw the Mustang you did and commented on it. I'll definitely be playing with it some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    Looks great. When I glanced at the first pic, I thought the car had fog lights turned on, but it was only you blocking out the plate LOL.
    Thanks Don. I don't like for the plates to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Very nice work sir! So now you can wait for the second coat? Sounds familiar?
    Thanks Mike! Familiar? Yes and no. This is the new version and its properties are different from the previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Always love seeing your write-ups! Looks great.

It's this kind of thinking that sets certain detailers apart! Focusing on quality. It shows.
    Thanks kindly!

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT work! What was your process with the tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding job Richy! Enjoy your work and write ups. Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    GREAT work! What was your process with the tips?
    Thanks a ton! The tips were hand polished with Megs 205 and a mf and then coated like the rest of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    Outstanding job Richy! Enjoy your work and write ups. Kyle
    Thanks a bunch Kyle! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing after pics. I love these California specials!
    In my area a lot of people under polish the white paint because most customers won't notice a few imperfections, but when you go the extra mile it really shows. Thanks for doing the write up, I'm a novice weekend guy and I appreciate the informative write ups. I've been looking for a different wheel process, and I'm going to try yours. Are you using the wheel woollies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast