autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A

Greetings

I'm a new member here, I was referred to this site for the how to that Mike had posted here:

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

I recently followed his instructions & posted my results, Mike was interested in more "story" on my car & I'm happy to share.

All of my trials & tribulations are posted on the H.A.M.B, but I will focus more on the overall story & specifically the interior,exterior "details"

Everyone has their "dream car", ever since I was a little kid I was drawn to Model A Coupe, especially the vintage 50's/60's Hot Rod versions of the Model A Coupe, to sum the story up & try not bore anyone I first heard of this car over 20 years ago, following that a couple more "urban legend" storys about a vintage Hot Rod Coupe sitting in a garage with a widow who was very reluctant to sell her late husbands car (who passed away suddenly at a young age) The car had been untouched, basically frozen in time...

Fast forward to almost 5 years ago, my girlfriend (& now wife) introduces me to her best friend who mentions that her mother still has her late father's "old ford" in the garage, doesn't recall what model it is but "the back is original, but the front end isn't"... perplexed I think it over & ask if the motor is exposed on the car, she reply's "no it isn't covered, that's why the front end isn't original"... I almost ditch the car I was driving when we had this conversation (headed to dinner on a double date)... I can't help but wonder if this is the same car that I had heard of so many years earlier...

Shortly after this conversation I confirm with the widow that it is the same car (I knew the car by the second owners name, she confirmed her husband bought the car from the 2nd owner) & she promises me that I can see the car, once she has a chance to "tidy up the garage", I am shown one picture of the car that was on her mantle, taken in 1970 on her wedding day, also the same year the car was parked in her inlaws garage & moved only once in the late 1980's when it was moved to her garage when the in laws home was sold.

Almost 4 years later I am finally granted permission to come & see "Snoopy" (a nick name given to the car by her late husband because of a favorite T-Shirt she wore while dating him)
    Here is what I got to see last Summer 2014, Imagine discovering your dream car that has been parked for over 40 years... completely untouched, my wife thought I was nuts, I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up & was stunned when I stepped into that single door garage.

More to follow, hope people enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-p1040941-jpg   Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-p1040943-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A

Incredible find and a good story! Keep us posted!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Once I had a chance to compose myself I expressed my interest to have an opportunity to discuss making a serious offer if she was open to hearing me... long story short after a few visit's over the next few weeks, showing her what a car like this could be worth restored, unrestored, in stock form in project form etc, discussing my plans to preserve, rather than "make it my own", and her sharing her strong (and understandable) setimental attachment etc. my offer was accepted. Here is the day it was removed from the garage & seen the light of day...

Lacquer paint that was done over lead body work & red & white tuck n' roll interior (that I later discovered was done by the original builders girlfriend on a foot tredle sewing machine!!) - Car was built over 2 years starting in 1960...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-snoopy_04-jpg   Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-snoopy_08-jpg  

4. Likes pilotpip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story keep us posted
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Great story and thanks for sharing it with us.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, here is a picture taken in 1967, the year the 3rd owner obtained the car - The car was well weathered since this picture was taken, but unchanged. I hope to get some more pictures of the car from years ago...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-restored_beach-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Flathead in it?
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the follow-up.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes a 1949 "8BA" Flathead, connected to a 1934 3spd toploader, the rest of the suspension,crossmember etc. is from a 1947 Mercury Car (also the floor, gas tank, steering box etc. is all from the 1947 Merc as well)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-snoopy_12-jpg   Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-p1040957-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Wow Dennis!

Amazing story! Thank you so much for sharing on AutogeekOnline!

I'm going to upload all your pictures to your free gallery here on AGO and insert them to make them more enjoyable to view.

12. Thanks denns1989 thanked for this post
    Likes denns1989 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast