autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A

Quote Originally Posted by denns1989 View Post
    I think regular white vinegar is about 5% concentration, they also have (at least here in Canada) a 10% concentration that is used for pickling/canning preserves.
    I just placed the chrome part in a wash bucket, dumped in enough to cover the parts and about a day or so later, removed & buffed off with fine steel wool, some times heavy rusted parts needed a second bath... when I first lifted the hubcap out, it didn't look any different, then when I wiped at the heavy rust with the steel wool it literally wiped off. Nice thing is it doesn't hurt the exisiting chrome & it's cheap !!

I get it now!

For some reason, I just couldn't get my head around 'pickling vinegar'. I was thinking more along the lines of 'pickling' metals prior to finishing up prior to a coating (like chrome).

But, you actually are talking about, pickles. The wife (she who must be obeyed) has a few gallons of 10% for the annual pickle makin' time.

Thanx much for the info!

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

And then pictures taken last weekend (March 2015) showing how the car looks after following Mikes steps !

Before

After

Any updates with this project?

3. Likes denns1989, JKDesign liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Any updates with this project?

Hey Mike !

Updates ? Well since putting it on the road in the spring of 2015, The car was featured in the Fall 2015 issue of Canadian Hot Rods Magazine, it has had other mentions in other magazines & on line sites, it has been to The Jalopy Jam Up (pre 64 hot rod & custom show) twice & has a full write up on Kustomrama https://kustomrama.com/index.php?tit...%27s_1931_Ford.

I have put well over 5000 miles on it the past 3 seasons & since I plan on keeping it "as found" I don't really have any more plans for it aside from regular maintenance, I drive it as much as possible & enjoy bringing it to local cruise nights etc. Aside from working a few gremlins out when I first put it on the road the car has been extremely reliable, I really enjoy meeting people who appreciate or were around during the 50's & 60's who really understand the car for what it is, I really enjoy sharing the car & it's storys..

Here is how it was looking this past summer 2017, thanks again for your clean up tips, all I have done since is wax it once a year :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A-20170916_195015-jpg  

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use evaporust for similar rust issues. If you can get your hands on some, Id try some seafoam in the gas tank
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    You can use evaporust for similar rust issues. If you can get your hands on some, Id try some seafoam in the gas tank
    I removed the tank & did the POR-15 treatment process, no issues been running fine the past 3 years :-)

Mike Phillips

Hey Mike !

Updates ? Well since putting it on the road in the spring of 2015, The car was featured in the Fall 2015 issue of Canadian Hot Rods Magazine, it has had other mentions in other magazines & on line sites, it has been to The Jalopy Jam Up (pre 64 hot rod & custom show) twice & has a full write up on Kustomrama https://kustomrama.com/index.php?tit...%27s_1931_Ford.
    I checked it out, nice write-up for the car.... found this tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kustomrama

The car was then clay barred and Meguiars #7 paint conditioner worked into the paint for conditioning followed by Meguiars carnauba wax.

Would have been cool if they could have included a link to either this thread or my write-up on how to restore antique single stage paint just as a reference for all the guys that have read about your car and will read about your car into the future so IF they have a cool survivor car like yours with the original paint and they want to restore at least they would have a lead.

But in the BIG PICTURE - everything works out for the right reasons and anyone that is truly interested in finding out how to restore antique single stage paint either figures it out on their own or does in fact find my article(s)

I have put well over 5000 miles on it the past 3 seasons & since I plan on keeping it "as found" I don't really have any more plans for it aside from regular maintenance, I drive it as much as possible & enjoy bringing it to local cruise nights etc. Aside from working a few gremlins out when I first put it on the road the car has been extremely reliable, I really enjoy meeting people who appreciate or were around during the 50's & 60's who really understand the car for what it is, I really enjoy sharing the car & it's story's..
    That sound very rewarding...

Here is how it was looking this past summer 2017, thanks again for your clean up tips, all I have done since is wax it once a year :-)
    Excellent...

Once the initial paint restoration work is performed then regular maintenance is fast and easy...

9. Likes denns1989 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123