autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1972 Corvette - Restoring an all original Corvette with the original Single Stage Paint

1972 Corvette - Restoring an all original Corvette with the original Single Stage Paint

I recently found this two owner '72 Big Block Corvette that is one of 1360 with this transmission and even fewer with the 454 in the Steel Cities Gray color.

The car is numbers matching and almost 100% original with only 56,000 documented miles. The previous owner who owned the car since 1978, stored the car in a garage but over the last nine years it spent most of the time sitting with the T-Tops off collecting dust.

It only acquired 300 miles in the last nine years! I decided to do a detail thread to show my progress in trying to bring back an original car. It is going to be a lot of work but I look forward to the challenge. I don't have a ton of experience with the older single stage paints so any tips / help would be appreciated. Let me know what you guys think as we try and bring this car back to the best shape it can be.

How it sat when I found it:

Here is what I have to work with after the initial wash just to remove the dirt.

The interior is pretty dirty but in decent shape.

Rims, chrome and engine need a good cleaning / polish after years of neglect.

I know I won't be able to bring the paint back completely back because it is original and brittle but lets see what we can do.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 72 Corvette - Bringing back an all original car -Pic Heavy

Pulled the drivers seat and found a nice pile of foam from a mouse nest. Surprisingly the seat is immaculate underneath.

Cleaned up decently after just a good vacuuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find!

When you say you "found" it - does that mean you bought it?

If so, let me know if you want to sell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I own it. Sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the paint "checked" on the entire car or is that picture just an isolated area/panel? The reason I ask is that checking of that nature is very common in the acrylic lacquer paints of the times, but much more so in repairs than in factory paint. Lacquer checking in factory paint typically has a much finer and tighter pattern than shown in your pic. I'm wondering if parts of the car have been repaired/repainted.

Mike Phillips

Congratulations on obtaining an amazing car and with a BBC!

If this car were mine I'd do everything I can to restore that original paint. It's a beautiful color for that Corvette body style and that paint is REAL paint not a plastic clearcoat like new cars.

I've restored hundreds of cars in my life with original, antique paint. I've probably helped thousands of other people to restore the original paint on their car.

What I show people is a product that's been around since the time of the Model T called #7 Show Car Glaze. It's pretty simple to use and provides your arm with a good workout.

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Here's another example. Craig has attended two of my detailing boot camp classes. While he was here I shared with him the techniques for restoring antique single stage paint.

I also shared with him how important it is to get GREAT BEFORE PICTURES because after you restore the paint you can never go back in time to get the before pictures.

Even have an article on this topic.

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

You have taken some very good pictures so far documenting the current condition. The shot where the car was parked in the garage how you found it is priceless.

For paint restoration pictures you want to get up higher over the car and get the high overhead shots like Craig did in his write-up below.

The paint on his classic Dodge was toast but he brought it back using the products and techniques I shared above.

Click this link and check out these pictures...

1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

I'm already looking forward to the after shots.

Mike Phillips

This is normal for this type of paint and especially when it's this old....

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic195

I know I won't be able to bring the paint back completely back because it is original and brittle but lets see what we can do.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

This is called lacquer cracking and it is a sign of dry brittle paint. The absolute best thing you can do is rub this down with a heavy saturation of the oils in th #7 and let it soak for a few hours and then repeat. Do this t-3 times and not only will you have gorged the paint with these oils and brought back the richness of color in the pigments but you'll have removed all the oxidation and you'll have done it without the use of abrasives.

Mike Phillips

We have another forum member getting ready to restore the original paint on a 1956 Cadillac. Check this out...

1958 Pink Cadillac Coupe DeVille - Original Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Great find!!
    {One of my favorite colors.}
    Good Luck on this project.

Here's a picture of our Club member's '72 Steel Cities Gray:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast