autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Tar Plant Accident

A local tar plant had an accident two weeks ago. They had trouble finding someone who would step in and help clean up their employee's vehicles. I was the third detailer they contacted, saw the potential, and immediately made arrangements to meet with them and see the vehicles. I submitted my quote, and they approved. (although I later found out I was the only one they had contacted that was even willing to tackle these)

They had a pipe rupture, which ended up raining tar on everything, including the vehicles in the parking lot. Two of the trucks will be totaled and you will see them below. The rest I have been getting too on my days off from my normal job. Still looks like I will have 3 weeks of constant detailing left. In total, there were 25 employee vehicles, 3 company trucks, 1 stake body delivery truck, and 2 semi tractors that were affected. Looks as though I will end up detailing roughly 24 of these with the semi tractors being a strong possibility. I should also note, this tar is missing the key substance that makes it solidify and solid, so it stays sticky and greasy...

Detail plan consisted of:

Pre treat / soak of a degreaser and tar remover solution
    Power wash as much off as possible
    Degreaser spray down and hand wash
    Clay bar followed by a single stage polish
    Wax

All products used were from 3D/HD

Pics...

The two trucks that will be totaled:

The first company truck, which is the worst of the ones I will detail:

An employee truck, this was parked beside the previous one and was very rough as well:

I will add more pics to this thread as I get them, but more in depth pictures can be found on my facebook at: facebook.com/rewardingreflections

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tar Plant Accident

Wow! That's some intense imagery with those totaled vehicles. Great job, and kudos to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Hoped you stocked up on barrels of TarX from the last few sales!

I think I'd cry if that happened to my car like it did on those totaled cars.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! Yes, please keep updating us. How long/how much chemical to clean up the white company truck, for instance. And do I dare ask how you price jobs like this one?
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCougr View Post
    OMG! Yes, please keep updating us. How long/how much chemical to clean up the white company truck, for instance. And do I dare ask how you price jobs like this one?
    The white truck was almost 10 hours from start to finish. The blue truck was roughly 9 hours due to the lack of wax on it, helping the tar to cling onto it. The remaining vehicles are averaging 6-8 hours. Really didn't use as much of the chemicals as I was expecting other than quick detailer for the claying and buffing process.

The quote I gave them comfortably covered my time, headache, and materials for this. All together after I finish their vehicles, as well as the two other businesses vehicles that were affected, it will end up buying my work van that I have been wanting to get to work out of. Used of coarse, not new,.. but still...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hats off to you for tackling such a pain in the ass job. Hope it brings you more work in the future. Great job.
    2007 Chevy Equinox
    2008 Saturn Outlook

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

Get a nano scrub mitt ASAP if you plan on claying that many rigs. Should save you 8-10+ hours in working time if you have 24 trucks/cars.
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......

Post Thanks / Like

More pics.

More of the white truck:

More of the blue truck:

Durango that wasn't too bad. This was during the work. None before and after since it was late:

Kia that had a few spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mswerb View Post
    Hats off to you for tackling such a pain in the ass job. Hope it brings you more work in the future. Great job.
    Thanks. They had been turned down by a few, more popular and bigger detailers in my area. I just saw an amazing opportunity to help a company out, grow my business, and to really get my name out there. A lot of work,.. yes. Worth it,.. yes! It has already brought me a few more jobs. Many of the owners have already requested that once I get caught up, they want the interiors done as well as their other vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
    WOW!

Get a nano scrub mitt ASAP if you plan on claying that many rigs. Should save you 8-10+ hours in working time if you have 24 trucks/cars.
    Already on the way. I didn't have any of them initially and really couldn't wait, so I had to start tackling these with what i had available due to the weather forecast.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast