autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS (First Paid Detail)

Last weekend a co-worker of mine asked me if I would be willing to detail his new car. A 2015 Chevy Camaro SS...Black! He has owned it for a few months and in pretty good condition, with minor swirls and light scratches. He had driven down from NC to GA and with heavy rain the days prior it really needed some love. However I had bitten off way more than I could chew. As stated this was my first ever detail for money and I was scared to over quote myself. I told him I could do a full paint correction along with sealant and wax. Also do the wheels and tires really good and go over the inside really quick. Not to mention this was not only my first paid detail but also my first black vehicle I have ever worked on. Sadly I only quoted him $300. Of course he agreed and we planned on Saturday to meet up. I would begin working on it at 11:00am and hopefully be done with it late that evening. Long story short it took me way longer than expected. I worked well past midnight and then had him meet back up with me to finish his interior and get pictures. Me being a beginner just really showed and there are a few things I wish I could have done differently. However it wasn't a total disaster and I took a lot of way from the experience.

Anyhow I will get onto the before pictures...

Method of my madness...

Wash
    Pre Rinse
    Foam Cannon (CG Citrus Wash)
    Clean Tires (Mother's Foaming Wheel Cleaner)
    Rinse
    Clean Wheels (Mother's Foaming Wheel Cleaner & CG Diablo Gel)
    Rinse
    2 Bucket Wash (CG Citrus Wash)
    Decontamination (CarPro TRIX)
    Decontamination Part 2 (Nanoskin Mitt w/ Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Diluted)
    Rinse
    Dry (Master Blaster)

Paint Correction
    PC 7424XP
    Mix Between 5.5" & 3" Pads With a LC & 3M Backing Plate(s)
    Cut - Menzerna FG400 (New Meguiar's "red" Cutting Pads & Optimum Microfiber Cutting Pads)
    Polish - Prima Amigo (CG Hex Logic "white" & LC Flat "white" Pads)
    Seal - CG Jet Seal (CC Hex Logic Pads)
    Wax - Pinnacle Black Label Synergy (BLACKFIRE Foam Wax Applicator)

Misc.
    Wheels (CG Jet Seal)
    Tires (Optimum Opti-Bond)
    Wheel Wells (Ultima Tire and Trim Guard)
    Headlights (Detailer's Pro Series Headlight Protectant)
    Windshield (Detailer's Pro Series Glass Coating)
    All Exterior Plastics and Rubber (Ultima Tire and Trim Guard)

Interior
    Vacuum
    Wipe Down All Surfaces (DP Total Interior Cleaner)
    Protect All Surfaces (Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Protectant)
    Windows (DP Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner)
    Floor Mats (CG All Clean)

So those were my steps... Luckily the hood and wing are vinyl wrapped so I just taped them off. Thankfully or it would have taken even longer! Many of the products I used were samples laying around. I know I should have charged more (he noticed how long it took and tipped well so I can't complain there) but it was a great learning experience! I just need to figure out how to work faster/more efficiently. Again working on a black car is real pain and I can understand everyone's frustration now. In the end.... he was happy... I was happy. Wish he wouldn't have had to drive it away that evening. Once we meet back up the following morning it had a little road grime/dust. Didn't have time to give it a waterless wash. So while I finished up the interior he went ahead a wiped down the outside. Which was foolish on my part. It took forever to get the streaks out that he did with using too much product. It was fun to inform him of proper washing techniques and list some products he should look into getting. So after doing my best to get rid of all the streaks in my the crunch I had, it was onto the "final results"...

(Ended up going back over all the emblems... I had taped them up during the paint correction... also notice the freaking stuff blowing around and landing on the car. I couldn't own a black car, I'd end up going crazy!!!)

Before and Afters:

A few extras...

That's it! Again it was a great learning experience and he was happy. I knew I had to start sometime/somewhere/on something! Hah. Hats off to everyone who does it full time. I also want to thank every single member who has posted any bit of information on this forum. It has helped me so much I can't even explain. I have gone from washing my car incorrectly just a year ago to now doing paint correction for money. So honestly thank you so much!.. and a special thank you to Mike!!! YOU ARE AWESOME! Thank you for taking the time to look over my detail.

My Flickr Page

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS (First Paid Detail)

Congratulations!

Pretty Pictures, but to really showcase your work you need close-ups, sun shots and 50/50's

Not sure where you could save time without you letting us know how Lon each step in your process took

Sometimes small pads like the 3" are tine killers. I only use small pads when I absolutely have to

Nanoskin is a good time saver, you will get a feel for flaying that will allow you to hear and feel when to move in to the next section, this can same some time

For $300, sealant topped with wax is effort you are not being paid for

13 hours is not bad at all for what you did

I don't do it full-time either, so rarely do I have to hustle thru one car to get to the next one. I usually quote 10-12 hours for what you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Congratulations!

Pretty Pictures, but to really showcase your work you need close-ups, sun shots and 50/50's

Not sure where you could save time without you letting us know how Lon each step in your process took

Sometimes small pads like the 3" are tine killers. I only use small pads when I absolutely have to

Nanoskin is a good time saver, you will get a feel for flaying that will allow you to hear and feel when to move in to the next section, this can same some time

For $300, sealant topped with wax is effort you are not being paid for

13 hours is not bad at all for what you did

I don't do it full-time either, so rarely do I have to hustle thru one car to get to the next one. I usually quote 10-12 hours for what you did.
    I know what you mean with the 50/50 shots/sun shots. Honestly my mind was going a million miles an hour prior and didn't even thing about it. (something I will need to work on).

What I mean about time... mainly myself and not being organized. Also not having my pads/backing plates together and what not. Just sloppy.

What do you mean by this: "For $300, sealant topped with wax is effort you are not being paid for" ?

Thank you for your comment!

My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

You really killed it...
    This Camaro is truly murdered-out!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, nice work.

Honestly for your level of experience and the experience you gained working on this nice car $300.00 seems about right to me. Get a Flex or a Rupes and that in itself will help speed things up. I did a BMW 3 series with a PC and it took me longer than a full size Chevy pick up with my Rupes 15. Both were done with FG400. Also I have gotten such great results with FG400 I only do a one step, you did a two step and two layers of sealant/wax combo. That's a lot of work. The FG400 and Jet Seal probably would have been fine or the Synergy.

The main point is you had fun, got paid for it and learned a lot.

Keep up the great work.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup!

Post Thanks / Like
    FUNX725 - Bob, thank you! You are one of the members I have learned quite a bit from!

custmsprty - You are right on alot of points! I knew I was going over the top but that's what I wanted to do. I did a test spot with just the FG400 but liked what I saw even more after the Amigo. A Flex is definitely in my future. Thank you for much for comment!

The Guz, Tools17 - Thanks!!!

My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Prelude,
    At first, I was struck at how darker, shinier, and glossier the car became after your treatment, however, I became as equally impressed with how you chose to take before and after pictures from the same angle and distance, and how you laid them out in a very neat manner making for a pleasurable viewing experience. Takes a lot of forethought, and planning, excellent work, and thank you for the presentation.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! Looks like its a 1LE too..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast