autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Painted a bumper - Anyone offer painting services?

Does anybody offer light paintwork along with their detailing?

I had a long time customer call recently and had been in an accident. very nice elderly man who has gotten me a few extra clients along the way. he hit the side of a building and destroyed the front bumper of his car, a 2000 Civic with really low miles. cracked the bumper and scraped the headlight badly. he asked me if I knew of a good body shop. he has $1,000 deductible and cant afford to pay it so he was hoping to get it fixed for less out of pocket. told him a body shop wouldn't do it for less than $600-800 or so but I would look in to the parts and see what I could do. found a brand new black primed bumper on eBay for $89 and paint materials only $25 so I told him I would do it for him. I used SS enamel fast dry paint. Harbor Freight purple gravity feed gun. all I had to do was scuff, tape, and shoot. put up some drop cloths in the garage and covered everything with plastic. I sort of think it turned out pretty well. he didn't expect it to look perfect so I'll go over and touch up a few things after putting it on. unfortunately I really didn't take any before pictures but it was just all flat black. had to tape off the grill areas and those are what needs touched up because the tape work didn't go perfectly. otherwise I think it looks pretty decent for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Painted a bumper - Anyone offer painting services?

If it was plain black and now is showing properly white, then you achieved your goal! Even more, you were able to find the mean for your customer to solve his issue without spending tons of money.

I do offer some touch-ups and micro-painting (using 0.2mm airbrush when needed), but it's not major here like paint correction and coatings are.

From what I can see at the pics, the work went very fine, congrats mate.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

I do not offer this. I have considered painting my bumper and after this thread, I may take it on.

That bumper probably looks better than what he had before his accident. Solid work.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

here is a picture of the car before with the damaged cover and headlight. will be installing the new one in the morning and will post after shots. hoping I can hard sand that lens to see if I can remove most of the paint transfer and scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty solid hit! Your paintwork looks good though. Did you get the paint from eBay as well?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy all my paint supplies at a nearby auto body supply store. touch up paint, scuff pads, sand paper, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the fix. The bumper looks pushed back. There are likely some broken clips behind it. In addition, check to make sure the foam bumper (hidden behind the bumper cover) is in good condition. I replaced a bumper cover to discover that the foam bumper was also cracked in half and needed replacing. Those are cheap as well, but a must to replace for safety reasons.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

everything went smoothly. very easy bumper installation. fit and fitment was surprisingly good. take a look at the headlight. I knew it had scratches and paint transfer on the bottom half really bad. I told the owner that I thought it would look a lot better, I didn't expect it to look brand new. literally 99% of the damage is gone and it also looks a lot clearer. I went ahead and cleared up the other side too so that they looked even. customer was very happy. this project went pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice that you could save the guy some money and make a bit for yourself at the same time. You did nice work too.

IW

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Miad!

The only question I would have is does your liability insurance cover you to do paint and body work? .... or did you do this out of the generous helpful heart you have!?!

Personally I do not extend my services beyond paint corrections. I won't even do sanding unless I know the painter personally and know and have worked with him. There are too many variables to account for and too many possibility that a good gesture will come bite you in the rear

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast