autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cruizing to get a Double Coat...

This 2014 Chevy Cruze was from a repeat customer. In fact, his Jeep was the first vehicle on which I applied Americoat. (And, OH Yeah!!! Is it still looking amazing!) The cruze was booked for my new vehicle package which includes a single step polish.

Unfortunately, my before pics seem to have vanished. (I'm pretty sure I took them says the senile old man, hehehehe). It was just dirty and the paint had no swirls or nasty things to correct. I assumed my one step with yellow B/S + M205 would do the trick. And it did..kinda..but I wanted it to look better. Besides, it was a small car and I figured I'd have time to squeeze in an extra step. So I did. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First up I cleaned the barrels and faces with Malco Brake Off. It's nasty stuff and will launch me into a coughing fit worse than a cigar will right now, but, damn, you can't argue with how it works. I follow that with vinegar sprayed from a bottle to neutralize the alkaline. It says that spraying water is sufficient but I disagree. Get some on your skin, and vinegar is the only relief you'll get. I don't want any chemical that strong continuing to work longer than I want it to, so I believe the neutralizing step is prudent. Besides, vinegar is cheap and for me it's cheap insurance.
    The wells were cleaned with LATA.
    The tires cleaned with both LATA and Zep 505.
    I then coated the barrels with CarPro Hydro.

The car was hand washed with DG 901 followed by a second hand wash of IronX paste. It was then brought inside and clayed with the Speedy Prep Towel. Afterward it was blown off by my Master Blaster. Again, I was giggling like a little schoolgirl watching the water rush off the surfaces of the barrels that I had coated.

For the paint prep, like I mentioned above, the one step wasn't making me happy so I decided, even if it cut into my time a bit, that I wanted to do a 2 step to it and after trying it, there was no turning back. I used my black wool Tuff Buff pad + M105 followed by a white B/S + M205. Both steps were using my Flex 3401. I used Eraser to wipe down after an ONR wipe down the following day to prepare for coating. The wheels had been done by hand with DG Squeaky Clean + yellow foam pad. I actually found several chips that they were unaware of so I even went to the shop on Saturday morning and picked them up some touch up paint. I just couldn't let them go without filling them!

I had suggested a double coat of AC on this car and they agreed to that. Again, I am so happy they did b/c the added slickness was unreal and it just glowed afterward. The paint, head/tail lights, wheel faces and all the glass excluding the windshield was coated with a double coat of Americoat. The windshield got Fly-By-30. The tires were shot via my air gun with OptiBond at 100% and leveled. I was getting into late day sun and had to shoot it at the end of my street to get any sun.

I did grab a few inside first:

Here she is outside:

Got Flake??

Side Reflection:

Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cruizing to get a Double Coat...

Nice work!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Richy! I assume you are using distilled white vinegar for the neutralization stage? Also, for some of the smaller areas did you have to resort to a smaller polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, and specially an enjoyable to read write-up!

You are raising my interest in Americoat each time you come with a thread... Looks like a very good product, your results always outshine the concurrence.

Thanks for sharing.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Nice work!
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver5882 View Post
    Looks great Richy! I assume you are using distilled white vinegar for the neutralization stage? Also, for some of the smaller areas did you have to resort to a smaller polisher?
    Thanks a bunch! No, I just use the edge (outer 1/4) of the pad for the narrow areas.
    And yes, regular white distilled vinegar. Usually like $2/gal in the bulk stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Flawless work on that Chevy cruze I really like how you can see can see those flakes in that paintwork

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work on that red Chevy Cruze Richy. That red paint looks dripping wet!

On such a new vehicle, were the wheels so dirty that Malco Brake Off was needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    Flawless work on that Chevy cruze I really like how you can see can see those flakes in that paintwork
    Thanks very much James!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Outstanding work on that red Chevy Cruze Richy. That red paint looks dripping wet!

On such a new vehicle, were the wheels so dirty that Malco Brake Off was needed?
    Thanks Mike! The barrels were the most dirty but it does such a good job I used it on both.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, that color is cool too.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done! Great work as always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast