autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Paint Coating

Finally got my PBL Ceramic Paint Coating in. And couldnt wait to try it out. I keep my car (09 Mercedes e550) very very clean on a daily basis. Paint isnt perfect by any means, but I would say is kept better then 95% of the daily drivers out there.

Anyways, stripped the Collinite with an IPA wipe down (twice actually to make sure it was all gone) then applied the paint coating to the paint, and the glass coating to the windows (except what is rolled down, those are covered in Collinite 845 for comparison sake).

Went on without a hitch, even though I did find that I needed to use more then 2 sprays per panel. More like 4-6 sprays per panel because it was flashing so quickly. I used a red foam pad to apply it with, then wiped the panel down with a microfiber towel to remove any "high spots".

This was my first time playing with a paint coating, and I cant say enough about how easy it was to apply. Also how easy it was to get an even coating. I had zero issue.

Anyhow, enough chatting, onto a few pictures while in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Paint Coating

Looks nice Rodney , great job man

Daren

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. I did my xterra in the DP PAINT COAT this week. First coating for me. Looks like the PBL applies the same way. I also used 4-5 sprays per panel. 10-12 vehicles per bottle i think is reaching! I used about 1/4 of the bottle.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

That black German sedan looks proper! I love it!

As for the IPA wipedown, I would have skipped it and instead performed some kind of mechanical abrasion such as a polishing session with a mild polish such as Menzerna SF4000 or the like. If Collinite is as strong as Menzerna Powerlock, your IPA wipedown would have had little effect on removing it.

Here is a thread posted by Swanicyouth (Steve) showing how strong the Sealants really are.
    Sealant Test: PowerLock (+/-) BlackHole, Wolfgang DGPS, & BlackFire WD

Not calling you out by any means, just bringing up how incredibly effective Sealants can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

As for the IPA wipedown, I would have skipped it and instead performed some kind of mechanical abrasion such as a polishing session with a mild polish such as Menzerna SF4000 or the like. If Collinite is as strong as Menzerna Powerlock, your IPA wipedown would have had little effect on removing it.

Here is a thread posted by Swanicyouth (Steve) showing how strong the Sealants really are.

Not calling you out by any means, just bringing up how incredibly effective Sealants can be.

Thanks Mike!

I will say, Im pretty confident that it was removed, or at least altered a great bit, as the towel no longer slid over the surface without issue. It got a lot more "grabby" on the second pass. And also noticed that the spray was no longer beading on the surface, but more or less just sat there the second time around. I used a 90% mixture mixed 3:1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Nice job. I did my xterra in the DP PAINT COAT this week. First coating for me. Looks like the PBL applies the same way. I also used 4-5 sprays per panel. 10-12 vehicles per bottle i think is reaching! I used about 1/4 of the bottle.
    Im not sure how much of the bottle I used, but I also dont think I could get "up to 15" vehicles out of this one bottle. Definitely will be enough to keep mine in tip top shape though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

WOW! Perhaps Im not so confident after reading that test there. LOL

Ill see how long this lasts, if it fails, I will re polish the entire car and re apply.

Thanks brother for the tip and article link!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks great!

Dress those tires...

It's my opinion that coating success really depends on how clean the surface it prior to applying the coating. That, and using ample product I think are important.

I'm no coating expert, but if your going to redo it - I'd get the PBL Prep Polish. It's easy to use and effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Car looks great!

Dress those tires...

It's my opinion that coating success really depends on how clean the surface it prior to applying the coating. That, and using ample product I think are important.

I'm no coating expert, but if your going to redo it - I'd get the PBL Prep Polish. It's easy to use and effective.
    It will get a thorough wash and tire dressing today my friend. Wheels are dirty as well. Ill post up a few pictures after I rinse it down, and wash the wheels/dress the tires.

Funny, I had the entire kit (including the PBL paint cleansing polish) but USPS literally ran over my package bad enough they had to rebox it. And guess what got smashed? The PBL paint cleansing polish... Wasnt too happy about it to be honest.

Ill order the polish here before I redo it (assuming it doesnt last and/or fails)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
    It will get a thorough wash and tire dressing today my friend. Wheels are dirty as well. Ill post up a few pictures after I rinse it down, and wash the wheels/dress the tires.

Funny, I had the entire kit (including the PBL paint cleansing polish) but USPS literally ran over my package bad enough they had to rebox it. And guess what got smashed? The PBL paint cleansing polish... Wasnt too happy about it to be honest.

Ill order the polish here before I redo it (assuming it doesnt last and/or fails)
    I think you will have to polish it with a light abrasive if you have to remove it and redo it.

<TED>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast