autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Candy White Polo 6R - Detailed by Lawrence

1 car (with 20k kms on the clock)
    2 colors
    3 different types of paint
    4 days of 'fun'

:lol:

So the owner of this vehicle had heard about my detailing and came past a couple of months ago to show me the condition of his paint and see what could be done to rectify it. He had taken the car to a someone to have the bonnet, roof and some of the back end sprayed black, and was not happy with the appearance of the black, which in his words, 'did not seem to shine as much as he thought it would'.

When I saw the paint for the first time, I was absolutely horrified that someone could return a car to the customer looking the way it did. It was riddled with buffer trails indicative of poor polishing techniques. Upon further discussions around this I established that the paint was not decontaminated prior to polishing (and this invariably resulted in contamination being ground back into the paint, further destroying the finish), that a rotary with a wool pad (the most aggressive combo) was used and that no cleaning of the pad occured during the polishing process.

Of course, they then took things a step further and decided to do the owner 'a favor', by polishing the rest of the car (i.e the candy white paint) and in the process ruined that too. :bang: Added to the owners woes was there was a section on the roof where they had taped off during painting, and used really crappy tape resulting in a very uneven line - I was asked to rectify this too.

Also, on the bottom of the rear bumper there were very bad runs in the paint which the owner wanted removed and (not as a result of the panel beater) there was a chip out the one corner of his spoiler.

I performed a test spot on one section of the bonnet to show the owner what could be achieved with some proper polishing. He was happy with the outcome and so we booked the car in for a full detail. Knowing the additional work required I decided to allow myself a full 4 days to get the car right again, and so it was dropped off with me early on Boxing Day (26th December).

In this picture you can see the 'test spot' I originally polished out, in the bottom corner (which had since taken some abuse) as well as the overall shocking condition of the paint.

Here are some more pics of the car on arrival, with the paint full of buffer trails, swirls, RIDS, water spots and bird dropping etching

Thursday

After waiting to ensure the wheels were completely cool I got started on cleaning them, along with the tires and arches. The wheels were then decontaminated before being sealed, the tires and arches dressed, and the plastic wheel nut covers cleaned and dressed.

Products used
    Arches - Cyclo CM30 APC @ 1 / Mothers Fender Well Brush / Chemical Guys Bare Bones
    Tires - Meguiars All Wheel and Tire Cleaner / Mothers Tire Brush
    Wheels - Autofinesse Imperial Wheel Cleaner / Daytona Jnr
    Tar Removal - Autofinesse Oblitarate
    Iron Removal - Autofinesse Iron Out
    Remaining Contaminants - Autoglym Fine Detailing clay / Carways Mist and Wipe
    Final wash - Cyclo CM30 APC @ 3:1
    Tire Dressing - Optimum Tire Gel
    Wheel Protection - Menzerna Powerlock

Before

During

After (but before applying powerlock, tire dressing or dressing the arches)

Next up was the cleaning of the door shuts, the boot shut, inside the petrol flap, in and around all the badges and in all the seam gaps etc, which was done using Cyclo CM30 APC at 10:1 and various brushes, followed by a HP rinse. These areas were eventually sealed using Chemical Guys V7

Before

After

Before

After

The last bit of 'dirty work' was the engine bay. The owner specifically requested that no water be sprayed into the engine bay, so this area was first blown out with compressed air, followed by a wipe down with damp MF Towels then dressed.

Products used
    Cleaning: Cyclo CM30 APC at 3:1 with foaming trigger
    Dressing: Chemical Guys Bare Bones

Forgot to take a before ops:

After

The car was then rinsed to remove loose dust and dirt, then flooded to cool the paint down (the black paint was getting hot very quickly given the glorious weather we were having (29 degrees Celsius). The car was then pre-foamed before being washed and dried

Products used:
    Pre-Rinse - HP washer / Flooding / Hosepipe
    Pre-foam - Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II / Cyclo CM3) APC at 3:1 / foam cannon
    2BM - Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II
    Rinse - HP followed by sheeting
    Dry - WW drying towel / Carways Mist and Wipe

I then decontaminated the paint by dissolving off all the tar and iron residue before having to make contact with the paint (and potentially drag these hard contaminants across the paint), and then foam washed again to remove any residual tar and or iron remover. The car was then dried and pulled into the garage and I began claying to remove the remaining contaminants.

Products used
    Tar Removal - Autofinesse Oblitarate
    Iron Removal - Autofinesse Iron Out
    Remaining Contaminants - Autoglym Fine Detailing clay / Carways Mist and Wipe
    Foam wash - Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II

]

Friday
    I finished claying before having a good look at the 'hole' in the spoiler along with the terrible edge that the painter had left on the roof.

In the pic below you can see the hole in the spoiler, and to the right of that, how crooked the line of black paint is. You can also see just how wavy and poor the actual finish of the paintwork is

After some proper taping up and a bit of touching up with a paintbrush, this is where it is at so far. The hole has been filled with multiple layers of paint and the crooked line is now straight.

I am still waiting for the paint to properly dry, before wet-sanding it and then compounding/polishing it by hand, and with the owners agreement, we will finish this off slowly to allow each layer of paint to properly cure.

When tackling the runs on the back bumper it quickly became apparent that the black paint had been sprayed extremely thin - what seemed like one thick'ish coat, instead of multiple thin ones. This raised a massive red flag for I still had to sort out the bonnet, roof, lower bumper, a section of the boot and the spoiler, all of which had been painted in the same black 2K paint, with no clear on it.

An improvement was made in the runs but they are by no means completely removed. These are not the best pics - sorry. ops:

Before

After

I then got to work performing some test spots to dial in a combo that would remove as little paint as possible while still getting the paint looking how the owner wanted it. We had spoken at length and he really wanted the black 'proper'

What you are seeing below on the pad is the black paint that has been (polished) abraded off the car, combined with some polish residue. This is happening because there is no clear coat on the car. The reality is though, when polishing a car with clear coat, the same thing happens - you just cannot see the abraded paint on the pad, because it is clear.

So, whenever someone is polishing paint, it is critical to remove this abraded paint from the working surface of the pad often, or you invariably land up 'grinding' this paint back into and over the paint you have just polished. No way to achieve a flawless finish! My preferred method is blowing it out with compressed air, and changing to clean pads often. I think I used 8 pads just on the black paint sections.

Products used
    Compounding - Menzerna FG400/LC Orange pad/DA speed 3.5
    Polishing - Menzerna SF4000/ LC Tangerine pad/ DA speed 5 followed by Chemical Guys Blacklight /LC Crimson pad / DA speed 4

These 2 pics are the result of the compounding step only.

Saturday

Once I had completed restoring the black paint I set about doing the same to the Candy White Paint.

Products used
    Polishing - Scholls S3 Gold/ LC Tangerine pad/ DA speed 4.5

All was going well until I got around to the drivers side of the car. The rear door had been dinged and had been to the panel beater (I am not sure if it is the same place that did the spraying/polishing of the black) and the paint job on the rear door, and where it was blended into the front door really threw me a curve ball.

The Scholls S3 Gold simply stopped working and I then proceeded to test every pad/polish combo I have in my arsenal from a black finishing pad, up through foam polishing pads, foam cutting pads to MF pads, combined with Menzerna SF4500/SF4000/PF2500/FG400 and Megs UC. Nothing worked.

It was almost as though the damage was in the base coat or maybe it had something to do with the actual finish of the clear? I dunno?

The best I could do was to glaze this area and I used some Poor Boys White Diamond with some (little) improvement to the appearance of the paint.

The B-Pillars, the small triangle bit on the rear window and the taillights were then polished
    Products used:
    Swirl Removal - Menzerna PF2500 / LC White CCS 4'' pad / DA speed 3.5
    Final Polish - Menzerna SF4000 / LC Black CCS 4'' pad / DA speed 3.5

I then tackled the exhaust tips
    Products Used:
    Mothers Aluminium Polish / Mothers Power Ball mini / Drill / MF Towels

Before

After

At this point I switched to the interior
    Process:
    Blow out with compressed air
    Carpets - Vacuum
    Seats - Vacuum, Scotch Guard
    Interior Trim - Smartwax Smart Dressing

A final foam wash to remove any polishing oils and dust generated during vacuuming the interior was done and the car dried. Once dry a coat of Menzerna Powerlock was applied, left to haze, buffed off and left to cure over night.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Candy White Polo 6R - Detailed by Lawrence

Sunday

Glass
    Claying - Autoglym Fine Grade Detailing Clay / Carways Mist and Wipe
    Polishing - Autoglym Glass Polish / LC Green Polishing pad / DA - speed 5,
    Cleaning - Autoglym Fast Glass / Glass cloths
    Treatment - Wynns C-thru

Exterior trim, window rubbers
    Cleaning - Shield Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner
    Protection - Smartwax Smartdressing

Plastic Side Widow Windshields (not sure what they are called ops: :lol: )
    Polishing - Meguiars Plastx / Hand polish / MF Towels
    Protection - Menzerna Powerlock

By this time the weather had gone overcast and so there were unfortunately no sun shots.

Total time spent = 46 hours.

Thanks for looking :hi:

Post Thanks / Like

I also wanted to just add these pictures in here to show how poor a job the initial painter did.

Sanding marks on the white paint on the bonnet, presumably from when he was sanding on the black paint and simply never taped up?

Where he sprayed over dust on the panel, orange peel and some deep RIDS

More sanding marks on the white paint

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a car with such terrible work done by a body shop! They did not execute one step properly! Shame on them!

Nice efforts on bringing the car back to life. Although not perfect it is surely better. Nicely done Lawrence.

BTW, these are paint run killers....
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-k-1000-a.html

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work, as usual, Lawrence!

Post Thanks / Like

Great save car looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Uhhhh, yeah...NOW THAT CAR LOOKS LIKE IT ONLY HAS 20km on it! WOW great job.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Smack, I would love to have had access to the unigrit blocks, however there is no local supply, and shipping via AG to South Africa is ridiculously expensive.

Maybe at some point I will figure out a way to get all the nice stuff you guys have access to over here without breaking the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks GREAT!!!! I ♡ VW
    VW POLOS ARE NOT SOLD HERE IN THE USA :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwfreak View Post
    Looks GREAT!!!! I ♡ VW
    VW POLOS ARE NOT SOLD HERE IN THE USA :-(
    Thanks

Yeah I too am a VW nutter - am actually the chairman of the local section of our National VW Club (will PM you the link if you want to check out our forum etc).

Actually this is where most of my detailing work stems from, so I tend to do a lot of dubs, Audi's and Seats....