autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2001 Sunfire with Pinnacle Coating (mini review)

I have been using my mother in law's 2001 Sunfire as a test bed for products for a few years. Since Optimum has decided to do a 2nd price increase within a year on the OG, I have decided to drop it from what I offer. I used to offer both it and CQF but now it would need to be priced too closely to CQF. I am looking to offer a coating to my customers for a lot less $ than the CQF so the budget conscious can still get something decent. I am going to try CQ UK next. I am thinking either it or the Pinnacle coating to replace the current OG choice. I ordered in the Pinnacle to use it on my mother in law's car as a test bed. My requirements for the coating is that it looks good, is priced well and lasts at least a year with 18 months being even better. The decision will be whether it's CQUK or the Pinnacle.

I did not shoot any before shots of the car or the process because, quite frankly, it was too damned cold. Once again I got great use out of my Seal Skinz waterproof (and they really are!) gloves. The paint was compounded with Flex 3401 or rotary with 4" pads depending on the location + TB black wool + M105. That was followed up with white B/S pad + Opt Hyper Polish. A Squeaky Clean application by hand followed the polishing. A mf dampened with ONR preceded the application of the coating.

My thoughts using the Pinnacle:

1) Really easy to use. I played with different curing times before wiping it off. I had the heater going in the garage but it was not as warm as it should have been, so I wanted to make sure it was properly bonding prior to wiping it off. As long as you didn't wait too long, it was effortless. You can tell when it's at the end of the product on the pad as the pad got grabby. You can sure smell the solvent carrier in it upon fresh application. I don't care about that, I just want it to work. Besides, that's why God invented cigars!

2) Very slick. This is where it scores A+. I have used many different coatings and this one is the winner on slickness. Even more slick than CQF and it was the current winner. Slickness is a nice-to-have but not need-to-have feature. The next one is what is the most important, factoring in price too.

3) Durability? Obviously this is a new product and I have not had the personal experience of testing its durability. I don't care what other people find or report on, I only want to see how it stands up with my application so I can truly and fairly compare it to OG and CQF and CQUK too. If I get 18 months out of it, I'll be thrilled. 12 months will be the minimum acceptable duration period.

4) Looks. Very pleased with how it looked. The flake was not muted whatsoever and it had a very nice glow & shine to it. Another high performing category for it.
    So, let the duration testing begin!!

Also, the tires were first dressed with Forever Black gel as they really looked old and tired. The next day they were shot again with DG Wet Shine via air gun and leveled thereafter.

All glass except windshield was done with the Pinnacle as well. Windshield was done with DP windshield coating. Don't let that stuff sit the 2 minutes the instructions say or it will be a bear to remove. 1 minute max. This stuff flashes very quickly. The wheel covers were also done with the Pinnacle coating.

Using DG's beta Trim Coating with a different (and better applicator). I love how even it looks:

Inside was vacuumed, glass done with CArPro Fast Glass/KD cloth, and plastic cleaned with knock-off AG pad + Opt Power Clean at 1:10.

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2001 Sunfire with Pinnacle Coating (mini review)

That is the cleanest looking sunfire I have seen. Looks better than new.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goes to show you how good an average car can look with proper care. Great job. Best looking Sunfire I have ever seen as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Richy, did you use the all surface or the paint specific coating? I also asked on L2D forum! Sorry for redundancy!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I got a bottle of this stuff too, it applies and removes effortlessly and is very glossy. Looking forward to see durability.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

Good work on the sunfire, it looks great... Probably the best looking one in the country lol.

I will be following this thread for sure. I am also looking to offer a lower end coating to people that cannot pay for Finest. For now, I have just offered CQ original, which is the bees knees IMO, so i'm interested in how PBL coatings hold up to the test of time. CQuartz is great, though I still need to try UK. What are your thoughts between UK and original?

-Beach
    People > Possessions
    Instagram: @DiamondDetail_ABQ
    www.diamonddetailabq.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by kinger View Post
    Goes to show you how good an average car can look with proper care. Great job. Best looking Sunfire I have ever seen as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! It's funny you guys say that. A few years ago, it was hit from behind quite badly about a week after I had detailed it. The body shop successfully argued against the insurance writing the car off after the adjuster came to see it. He agreed it was worth fixing. I'm sure he wouldn't have if it wasn't kept pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
    Hey Richy, did you use the all surface or the paint specific coating? I also asked on L2D forum! Sorry for redundancy!
    Hey, no worries. No, I just bought the paint coating. I was already angry enough having bought the DP coating to have this one come out so closely afterward and claiming to be so much better. No idea what to do with the DP one now. I don't know if it will prematurely fail before the Pinnacle or what?

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    Nice! I got a bottle of this stuff too, it applies and removes effortlessly and is very glossy. Looking forward to see durability.
    Me too Sergei. Ease of application is definitely its strongpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachZone View Post
    Good work on the sunfire, it looks great... Probably the best looking one in the country lol.

I will be following this thread for sure. I am also looking to offer a lower end coating to people that cannot pay for Finest. For now, I have just offered CQ original, which is the bees knees IMO, so i'm interested in how PBL coatings hold up to the test of time. CQuartz is great, though I still need to try UK. What are your thoughts between UK and original?

-Beach
    I had dropped the original CQ for OG when the CQ wouldn't last as long as the OG (original Pro version). I just stayed with OG for years. I haven't tried the CQUK yet but I hear it's more finicky. I need to try it for myself and see. I haven't tried the UK yet but will in the Spring. Then I will decide what to stock. For now I've got the Pinnacle bottle and an unopened bottle of the DP paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I love stuff like this because it's close to my heart. Proof that even an old daily driver deserves love an can have the results to show for it! Looks brand new.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

I know how u feel!! I have the DP coating as well and am still a little miffed about the timing of the "newer, better" Black Label!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    +1 I have to agree. Never seen a better looking sunfire in my life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast