autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty Pony:2013 Mustang with OG

This gentleman found me online and approached me about getting the best protection possible for his Mustang. He bought a 2013 that was a demo in this pretty purple-blue colour. I had suggested CQF but that got changed to OG due to budget constraints. My goal was to have this paint looking better than the day it was delivered to the dealership, not how it was delivered to him after being driven as a demo. One concern he had was this stripe that the dealer had added to the side. It was a cheap decal with edges that caught everything. Many were already peeling and it had not been on very long. He was very concerned about it and I didn't want to go anywhere near it. Stay tuned to its fate.

It actually looked pretty good but I was able to point out the swirls to him but we were quickly losing the sun, so I couldn't capture them on camera 5 minutes later. The important thing was that he saw them and would know the improvement.

Here it is as it arrived:

Chips:

First up was the wash. Wheels, barrels wells and tires were all done. Next came a foam wash followed by a hand wash. That was followed up with IronX paste on a grout sponge.

The Decal:

So, here it is. It ran along the entire length of the car with the Pony portion at the rear and all its exposed points that were already starting to peel. My recommendation would have been to remove it, but that's not my place to suggest that. However, the owner had been spinning on it for a day and called and asked if he could come by and remove it while I was polishing the paint. I gladly took him up on the offer and supplied my heat gun and plastic razor blade.

Good riddance!!

Paint correction:

The paint got a 2 stage correction with M105 + black TB wool + Flex followed by M205 + white B/S + Flex. There were quite a few small chips on the leading edge of the front bumper and some ones in various other places that all got filled. The car was given an ONR wash and then wiped down with ERASER. OG was then applied to the paint, head and tail lights and the glass (OG Windshield treatment). The wheels were coated too. The rear trim part was treated with a new beta version of the DG trim coating and the tires were treated via air gun with DG wet shine.

Here we go:

Metallic Close Up:

Some Reflection Shots:

Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pretty Pony:2013 Mustang with OG

Nice work.

I'm not keen on wet looking tires however, I really like the look of DG wet shine.

Post Thanks / Like

How easy was the decal to remove? Did it require any additional polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Those after shots look amazing. Good call on the decal removal!

Duragloss Wet Shine is one of my favorite tire dressings, along with DG 253.
    They need to hurry up and get that trim coating on the market! I'm about out of 271.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great richy!

Just curious, what did you use to protect the convertible top?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Richy! The Mustang reflection shots look amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work as always Richy, enjoy reading the write ups. Good call when the owner agreed to remove the decals, they would have went from bad to worse in no time. Great work again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tkendrick View Post
    Nice work.

I'm not keen on wet looking tires however, I really like the look of DG wet shine.
    Thanks. I'm not a big fan of the fake looking wet look and almost didn't buy this product until I was encouraged to try it. In all honesty, I think the application method of using a spray gun is what makes it go on so very evenly and well (I've also used that method with Opti Bond too although it's thicker and was harder to do) but what really gives it the even look is by leveling it with a tire applicator after I shoot the tire. I have had so many compliments on it. I'm almost out of it now and have over a gallon of OB to go through so I've got to play with how to dilute it so I get as good as results with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    How easy was the decal to remove? Did it require any additional polishing?
    I had the customer do it while I was polishing at the same time. I was amazed at how easily it came off although I think that may have been in part b/c the quality of the decal did not appear to be that great. I just hit the area with M205.

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Those after shots look amazing. Good call on the decal removal!

Duragloss Wet Shine is one of my favorite tire dressings, along with DG 253.
    They need to hurry up and get that trim coating on the market! I'm about out of 271.
    Thanks. I was very happy that he decided to remove it...and so was he! I just got a new version of the trim coating to test, so it's not going forward anytime soon I'm afraid to say. The good news is that it will be incredible when it does eventually hit the market (if they choose to). So, get a small bottle for now, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus731 View Post
    Looks great richy!

Just curious, what did you use to protect the convertible top?
    I didn't touch the top. I was going to treat it with DG 341, but he wanted to keep the cost down, besides, he had a full bottle of 303 FG which is also a pretty good product. And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Very nice work Richy! The Mustang reflection shots look amazing.
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Guy View Post
    Beautiful work as always Richy, enjoy reading the write ups. Good call when the owner agreed to remove the decals, they would have went from bad to worse in no time. Great work again.
    Thank you Chris and I completely agree...it was the right call.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work Richy. You knocked it out of the park. Car looks fantastic now and I'm sure the owner can't believe what you have done.

Nice photography work BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job as always Richy car looks amazing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast