autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fixing the Mess from the Body Shop - Subaru BRZ - Mr. Sparkle Detailing Long Island

About 6 months ago I did a full correction and Opti-Coat on a 2013 Subaru BRZ. The vehicle left my shop, like all others getting this treatment, in near flawless condition. Client was happy and he maintained the car himself, so I didn't hear from him since then.

Fast forward to 4pm the friday afternoon before labor day weekend. I get a voicemail from a local body shop advising that they have one of my clients cars, and need an appointment with me for tuesday morning. I call back but they had left already for the weekend.

Tuesday morning after labor day I speak to the body shop. Client was in a minor collision, with front and rear bumpers replaced / repainted. Apparently he was unhappy with the finish claiming he saw swirls. There had been 3 failed attempts at getting this right and the client insisted that they bring it to me to 'clean it'. Which upon further questioning meant, buff the entire car.

I speak to the client who confirms the car is a mess and he needs my help. Body shop keeps telling him that he (my client) doesn't know what he's talking about and all cars have those swirl marks

I was booked all day tuesday, and wednesday. But I wanted to help out my client, so I accepted the job knowing I'd have to work on it overnight. Vehicle was finally dropped off around 6pm

Washed the car, twice, trying to strip off any glaze on the car. Pretty quickly I could see what was going on.

The doors still beaded water like they should with Opti-Coat applied. So they weren't touched. The rest of the car the water laid flat. After getting it dry I figured it out.

For whatever reason the body shop chose to buff the entire car (minus the doors) despite the fact that it was a near perfect finish with a coating applied. They had made a MESS. Sanding marks, swirls, buffer trails. They had scribbled all over my perfect little painting and I was not happy about it.

Here is my leftover work on the door where they had not touched. A few scratches from 6 months of wear & tear, but still pretty good

And here is there work, just inches away on the adjacent panel.

BLECH!

And so it began, at 10pm I put the pad to the paint

Flex 3401 + LC Tangerine + Menz Power Finish

Fixed that spot shown earlier

Buffer trails / holograms on the rear qtr panel

Fixed it

Same panel, different angle. Those arent finger smudges. Just the haze and mess

Got that covered

Leftover sanding marks on that newly sprayed bumper. Thanks guys!

Shakes head while buffing...

The hood was trashed and that was what the client kept focusing on when the car was shown in the sunlight. Buffer trails everywhere

Before

After

Hood from a different angle before

and after

The doors were polished with Optimum Poli Seal and CCS light green to preserve the existing coating.

and yes I reapplied Opti-Coat to the areas that weren't just painted as a courtesy to my client

When there's something strange, and it don't look good, who you gonna call??

Mr. Sparkle Detailing.com

Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing the Mess from the Body Shop - Subaru BRZ - Mr. Sparkle Detailing Long Island

Great work and that is some outstanding customer service to work through the night. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing the Mess from the Body Shop - Subaru BRZ - Mr. Sparkle Detailing Long Island

Great work

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing job! That's my dream car (as of now) in that color right there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thing you were there to correct the body shops mistake. Makes me scared to even think about ever getting my car resprayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job saving it!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job, that car looks fantastic! Just goes to show you that you'll always come out ahead with hard work

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful. I like that car!

Post Thanks / Like

Man... what a beautiful color/car. As always, Great work!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    You should show your before and after photos to the body shop so they get the idea. Beautiful work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast