autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Resurrection! Breathing New Life Into Dead Paint

Resurrection! Breathing New Life Into Dead Paint

This is my first official Show n Shine. I guess it's all downhill from here haha. Enjoy the picture show. Comments are always welcome.

Subject: Classic Guards Red 1965 Porsche 356 SC

This car is owned by a co-worker that he thoroughly loves to drive, but unfortunately has let the paint slowly die. I wanted to help him out by restoring it and he wanted to be a part of this adventure. Before I even approached him I contacted Mike Phillips and showed him a couple pics to see if this was even possible. He said absolutely, and that gave me the confidence needed to approach him and let him know that his car's paint wasn't beyond repair. He was on board and we set up a weekend to do this.

I picked up a few essentials for the project. One of the key ingredients had to be Megs #7. This stuff truly works miracles, as you will see...

Here are the before shots. Poor car was parched and needed some love.

Here's a few close ups...

Now onto the first step; the initial application of #7. We immediately saw the improvement. Here you see the owner, Brandon, hand applying #7 with some vigor...

This is what it looked like after just one application...

So we proceeded to buff the excess #7 off and apply a second heavy coat to let sit overnight...

This is what it looked like the next morning, after we buffed off the excess...

He was tempted to just put on the wax and call it a day - the improvement was that dramatic with just the #7 applications. But we pressed onto the compound/polishing stages, amping up the gloss.

As you can see Pinnacle's ASR is doing it's job. Here I am working the front fender...

I had Brandon try out the PCXP as well...

Here's some shots after we used the ASR & AFP from Pinnacle. I have to say both products were really nice to work with. No dusting, long work times.

Just before we applied the LSP, we hand applied one more coat of #7 to give an even gloss, then wiped it gently off. I then machined applied Pinnacle Souveran while Brandon hand applied it to the smaller, tighter areas. So here's the after shots.

In the end it came out better than either one of us had expected. He had taken the car to a couple body shops previously and not one of them mentioned that it could be brought back to life. Naturally they gave him enormous quotes for full restoration, but at least now he can enjoy it and save up for the day when a concourse renovation is in the budget.

When I had ordered during that Pinnacle sale, included in the shipment was the Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash with Carnauba, no rinse car wash, eco friendly car wash products. So I gave him the bottle so that he can maintain the finish and extend the life of the wax.

Products used were:
    Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze is a final step auto glaze to enhanced the gloss prior to wax application. Get a show car shine with Meguiars #7 Show Car
    Pinnacle ASR & Pinnacle AFP (The secret to the combo is to use the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (ASR) first, followed by the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish (AFP).)
    Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax
    Porter Cable XP and LC CCS orange pad w/ ASR and LC CCS black pad w/ AFP and LC flat blue pad w/ Souveran.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Resurrection! Breathing New Life Into Dead Paint

Car's as old as this have single stage paints correct?

But dang that was some serious work right there..props to you for having the patience to deal with that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POWERMAN_ View Post
    Car's as old as this have single stage paints correct?

But dang that was some serious work right there..props to you for having the patience to deal with that!
    Thank you. Yup, it is single stage and 40+ years old. It was hard work, but rewarding.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post
    Thank you. Yup, it is single stage and 40+ years old. It was hard work, but rewarding.
    Always fun bringing back oxidized SS red...just a lot of pink pads and towels!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work. I love working on old faded single stage paints because of the extreme difference in before and after results. Really wows the customer and great for marketing your skills as a detailer too. Very nicely put together thread too with outstanding photos.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work!

Mike Phillips

Congratulations! Incredible and DRAMATIC Transformation!

I told you you could do it! You just have to take your time and put a little passion and persperation behind the pad!

Before

After

I'd say you brought this one back from the dead!

Nice save!

Mike Phillips

For those reading this into the future, this is the key to restoring antique and original single stage paints, and thats to first massage the paint with a very wet or heavy application of the #7 Show Car Glaze using a simple cotton, terrycloth wash cloth.

Like you see being done here...

The long version of what to do and WHY to do it can be found here,

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

The short version can be found here,

4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

Excellent work Andrew! - You knocked this one out of the park!

Post Thanks / Like

Subject: Classic Guards Red 1965 Porsche 356 SC
    I'm no early Porsche-cognoscenti...
    But you and your co-worker have taken this venerable German machine's paintwork back to its days of glory!!

In the end it came out better than either one of us had expected.

"The proof is in the pudding":

-I had Brandon try out the PCXP as well...

-When I had ordered during that Pinnacle sale, included in the shipment was the
    Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash with Carnauba, no rinse car wash, eco friendly car wash products.
    So I gave him the bottle so that he can maintain the finish and extend the life of the wax.
    ^^^"Each One, Teach One"^^^ ~Author Unknown (to me: sorry)

This car is owned by a co-worker that he thoroughly loves to drive,
    For Brandon, then: Porsche-Panache to the forefront!!

This is my first official Show n Shine.
    ^^^To this^^^...and:
    Your paint-'Resurrection'...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast