autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Only 6,000 miles... can't be too bad, right? 2011 Camaro Convertible SS w/ Custom Paint

The owner of this car contacted me via my website in hopes that I would be able to help clean up his car. He had told me it had swirls and that he wanted that "Museum Finish" that you see on well kept show cars. Due to the fact that this is just his fun, nice weather, kind of car and not a daily driven vehicle, the mileage was extremely low. The car had 6,008 miles on it when it was dropped off, but it surely looked like it had been driven much more than that! This car had a significant amount of swirls & scratches that did not allow the true beauty of the metallic finish to shine through. We agreed on a 2 step correction to address the majority of the defects, as well as a quick touch up on the rest of the car (interior and engine), to make the car look like it should. The car proved to be quite a task, as the scratches were much more difficult to remove than I had anticipated (good thing he left it with me for an entire week while he was traveling!), and many of the repainted panels (which were in the worst shape) required me to compound them twice! The car also had several small, tight areas and required A LOT of work with the 3" pads and even some hand polishing which adds a good amount of time. After approximately 18 hours of work, the improvement was fantastic and I was quite pleased. There are still a handful of deeper scratches that I was unable to remove, however I would say the correction was around 90% or better for the majority of the car. Enjoy the pics!

Process

Exterior
    - PreWash: Foam with CG Citrus Wash and Dawn Mixture
    - Wheels: CG Diablo Gel (4:1) agitated with various brushes, wheel woolies, and wheel sponge
    - Tires: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner with Tuf Shine Tire Brush
    - Wash: CG Citrus Wash & Gloss
    - Bug&Tar: CG Bug Bugger & Tar Remover
    - Iron X
    - Dry: DI Waffle Weave Towels & Shop Vac Blower
    - Clay: DI Fine Clay w/ ONR as Lube
    - Compound: Menzerna FG400 on Meguiar's MF Cutting Disks (5.5"/3") via Rupes LHR21ES (5.5") and PC7424XP (3")
    - Polish: Menzerna SF4500 on LC Black Finishing Pad (5.5"/3") via Rupes LHR21ES (5.5") and PC7424XP (3")
    - Wash: Foamed and then washed with CG Citrus Wash to remove polishing oils and any dust
    - Dry: DI Waffle Weave Towels and Shop Vac Blower
    - Glaze: CG EZ Creme Glaze
    - Wax: CG Pete's 53 Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax
    - Metal: CG Metal Wax + Protection
    - Wheels: Wiped down with V7
    - Tires: Meguiar's Endurance Gel

Engine
    - Rinsed
    - Cleaned: Meguiar's D103 agitated with various brushes, wheel woolies, and sponge
    - Dry: Shop Vac Blower & Black All Purpose MF Towels
    - Plastic Panels/Covers Dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant
    - Hoses & Hard to reach areas dressed with CG Black on Black
    - Painted areas waxed with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 for added protection and easier maintenance cleaning

Interior
    - Vacuumed & Dusted
    - All plastic/vinyl trim was protected with 303 Aerospace Protectant
    - Leather was Cleaned and Conditioned with Griot's Garage Leather Care

Before
    The car had sat outside for a day before I started on it and had seen some rain, which when combined with the layer of dirt and pollen that had already been sitting on the car, made quite a mess.

Swirls and Scratches were easily visible, even through the layer of dirt and grime that covered the car.

The metal trim needed a quick touch up, but was in overall pretty good shape.

The wheels appeared to be swirled as well, however I later determined that it must just be a poor factory finish on the raw metal under the clear coat because I could not polish any of the defects out.

Wheels had a nice layer of dirt and grime on them which made them look even more dull and lifeless.

The gorgeous, color matching, engine bay needed a bit of care but it was definitely not bad. There was a layer of dirt and dust that had settled on most everything, but would be a quick cleanup for the most part.

During

The car was foamed prior to washing to help loosen up the dirt and contaminates on the surface of the car. After the foam had dwelled for a while, the car was rinsed very well and was then washed using the 3 bucket method (2 for washing the paint and 1 for washing wheels and tires).

After the car had been washed and decontaminated (clay and iron x), the true condition of the paint was clearly visible. It was not pretty. Hard to imagine this car had only 6,000 miles on it.

The convertible top was completely covered and taped off. Plastic trim, emblems, and other areas of concern were all protected as well.

Next, I began my test spot on the hood. You can see the straight line scratches all over the place.

After compounding with Menzerna FG400 (twice!), you can clearly see that the majority of the defects had been removed, however the finish was a bit hazy.

A ultra fine finishing polish (Menzerna SF4500) was used to further refine the finish and eliminate the haze left behind from the heavy compounding.

50/50 shot of the hood after compounding (don't mind the dust spots )

I blended these 2 photos together in photoshop to show you the difference the finish polish makes. You can see the area in the bottom of the photo is very hazy and has a good amount of marring left from the heavy cutting compound while the area at the top of the photo is much clearer and deeper - this area was refined with the fine finishing polish.

Hood after correction

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Only 6,000 miles... can't be too bad, right? 2011 Camaro Convertible SS w/ Custom Paint

Trunk lid Before any correction (This area had some of the worst defects)

Trunk lid after compounding. A nice improvement

Spoiler before any correction. You can see how visible the scratches are even without direct lighting.

After compounding

50/50 shot showing the corrected wheel arch and the uncorrected fender

Look at that beautiful metal flake after correcting the paint!

Door prior to any correction.

And after compounding.

Passenger door prior to any correction.

And after compounding

Mirror all cleaned up!

50/50 shot of the side skirt

Even the emblem had swirls and scratches all over the place!

I polished the emblem by hand... the results are not as impressive as machine polishing, but it is still an improvement nonetheless.

Checking my results in the sunlight before proceeding with the final wash, glaze, and wax. Looks much better! No more swirls.

After

Car looks beautiful! Extremely glossy, and the flat body panels really show off the mirror like depth of the polished paint!

Paint looks dripping wet!

Such a gorgeous color!

Really pops in the sun!

Hi!!

As always, Thanks for looking!! Comments/Questions are greatly appreciated!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Only 6,000 miles... can't be too bad, right? 2011 Camaro Convertible SS w/ Custom Paint

Great job Zach!! The before, half and after shots look amazing! The gloss is insane too! Did you post process them? If so, what was done to the pics to show those insane reflections/gloss?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

How is is possible to get so many scratches in the paint at only 6K miles?!?!?!

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

The color looks like Red Jewel Tintcoat, which was only offered for 2010, 2011. Pictures don't do the real color justice (although your pics are great).

I would have a long talk with the owner...how in the world could a car with 6000 miles look like that? I don't think there are very many corrections of that magnitude left after that round.

I like your choice of EZ Creme/Pete's 53 after polishing. I've always said that I can tell paint that has the glaze step added to the mix. I think the pics speak for themselves.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
    How is is possible to get so many scratches in the paint at only 6K miles?!?!?!

Wayne
    Some brand new cars have defects way worse than that.

Brand new doesn't really mean anything in paint condition.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord!! Hey Zach, I sure hope you had a "come to Jesus" conversation with that fellow regarding the "scratch and swirl" car wash.....

Great job on the car!!...... but I have to admit that your photo skills are top notch. The average photo newb won't pick up on it but to get the depth of field, color saturation etc... it takes skillzzzz!

Props to you on both accounts!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Oly )$?; that thing looks amazing. Excellent work indeed. Looks like a giant swimming pool, deep color and dripping wet paint. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Zach that paint job after is just mind blowing. Awesome job!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Another job well done.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast