autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SpeedFreak Detailed: $200,000 custom black 1957 Corvette - full correction

That's a nice looking vehicle and great work by you.

While you hear many claims of scratching due to the Cali Duster, this is one of the only times I've seen anyone photo-document it, where the scratch pattern matches the claims. Plus, the very low driving miles helps make the case as well.

Your photos nicely captured the isolated, couple-inch-long (and longer) parallel scratches, which is what you'd expect if a few pieces of grit remained in the duster and were being dragged with the sweeping motions of the duster. Since the same duster is re-used over and over, those captured pieces of grit can come back to haunt the paint again and again. Great job on capturing that as well. This one was one of the best for showing that:

and on this one, you can even tell from the arc in the long scratches that the person using the duster was standing on the left side of the hood and reaching over to the far half of the hood to sweep the duster:

Super Member Kyle@PrecisionPolish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, that looks amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

OK I guess thats why you are trusted to such a fine automobile. Looks absolutely amazing. The reflections are soooooo sharp! Really nice work!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

From the slightly less classy SISTER to the more classy ONE..........."YOU LOOK MABALESS".
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work.
    07 TBSS AWD 3SS (Black) - 09 TBSS 2WD 3SS (Silver)

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering to myself why they did this car in a single stage paint job since it was painted recently. Why not go with a multistage and spray a few more layers of clear to sand down to perfection.

I guess you cant really argue with the results though. Do you mind sharing the PT readings you took? Just interested in how thick it is.
    Zapa's Detailing- In purist of perfection
    https://www.facebook.com/ZapasDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zapa View Post
    I am wondering to myself why they did this car in a single stage paint job since it was painted recently. Why not go with a multistage and spray a few more layers of clear to sand down to perfection.

I guess you cant really argue with the results though. Do you mind sharing the PT readings you took? Just interested in how thick it is.
    IME, when dealing with older cars, owners always want the blackest black. Single stage black is usually darker(blacker) then BC/CC. I see a lot of SS jobs on custom and older cars it seems. Oxidizing is not the biggest concern when a car sits inside and is never driven in bad conditions. Great job on this beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6supersport7 View Post
    IME, when dealing with older cars, owners always want the blackest black. Single stage black is usually darker(blacker) then BC/CC. I see a lot of SS jobs on custom and older cars it seems. Oxidizing is not the biggest concern when a car sits inside and is never driven in bad conditions. Great job on this beauty.
    What he said. Thanks for the comments gents! Much appreciated and glad you all enjoyed the pics.

Brian
    www.SpeedFreakDetailing.com - Md/Va/Dc
    www.Facebook.com/speedfreakdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zapa View Post

I could be wrong about this, but once being a vintage corvette owner myself (1967 White Convertible), I can understand the high importance of having the correct paint type and color on the vehicle.

Many may argue this point, with the current sophistication of the state of the art paint systems available today, but I still would argue that point about any of those new finishes, versus laquer done correctly.

Laquer of course could be clear coated, with tons more clear on top, take candy apple paint for example. Or of course any metallic, metalflake, or glass flake back then in the day.

On straight black though, I agree, any clear on top truly detracts IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

1959 CORVETTE

This car pictured in this thread reminds me of a car I once drooled over at a McCormick Place Chevy Vette Fest many years ago, and I believe this is the particular very car that I speak of, a 1959.

We (myself, and two good friends, Randy Voland now deceased from bone cancer, who was the man I bought my cherry Lemans Blue 1968 SS396 Camaro from, and "Butch", John Konz of Howards Grove with his 96 point Black 1968 SS396 Chevelle, which was at that same Fest)

We watched in horror, because the owner of this Vette locked his Car Keys in the trunk, and then watched an amateur locksmith literally ruin the trunk with a screwdriver! You could hear the cracking of trunk's fiberglass 20 feet away, as he twisted, and pryed that lock.

That day, I believe that man already had the top flight award besides others and was going for the coveted Triple Crown.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast