autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Another weekend, Another BMW paint correction. Sapphire Black 2008 335i - Multi Step Correction

This car belongs to a member of a local car forum that I sponsor and he was looking to have the paint restored after the previous detailer left holograms and swirls all over the paint. The car was in great shape aside from the swirls and scratches... no real dents, dings, or chips. I love BMW's metallic black paint... one of my favorite colors. It looks so good when it is polished!

Process
    Wheels: ONR w/ Soft Sponge (wanted to be safe because they were plasti-dipped)
    Tires: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner
    Bug Removal: CG Bug Bugger & Tar Remover + Bug Sponge
    Pre-Wash: Foamed with Dawn/CG Citrus Wash & Gloss Mixture
    Wash: CG Citrus Wash & Gloss
    Dry: DI Waffle Weave Towels
    Clay: DI Medium Grade Clay
    Tape: 3M Blue Painter's Tape
    Compound: Meguair's D300 w/ Meguiar's MF Cutting Pad via Rupes LHR21ES
    Polish: Meguiar's M205 w/ Black Finishing Pad via Porter Cable 7424XP
    Glaze: CG EZ-Creme Glaze w/ Black Finishing Pad via Porter Cable 7424XP
    Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock w/ Blue Fine Finishing Pad via Porter Cable 7424XP
    Final Wipe: CG V7 Spray Sealant
    Metal: CG Metal Polish + Protection
    Glass: Stoner's Invisible Glass

Before/During

I began by washing the wheels and tires, then treating certain areas with bug remover, and then I foamed the car to assist in removing dirt and stripping any remaining products from the paint.

Once the car was washed and dried, I clayed the car to remove the bonded contaminates from the surface. The car was very contaminated, and did not take long to turn my clay a nice dirty color.

Once the car had been decontaminated, I was really able to inspect the condition of the paint. It was not too good. There were swirls everywhere, and some holograms left over from the previous detailer. These holograms were most evident on the hood and especially on the soft clear bra. It was somewhat difficult to photograph the defects due to the highly metallic paint, but you will get the idea.

Next I decided I would do my test spot on the trunk. There were plenty of swirls and some heavier scratches as well. Here is the trunk before correction.

Being familiar with Sapphire Metallic Black, I knew it was on the harder side, so I decided to go with D300 and MF Cutting Pads followed by M205 on a Black Finishing Pad. This yielded excellent results. I was pleased with the correction. Here is the trunk after performing the test area.

Look at that awesome metal flake!

I then turned my attention to the hood of the car. The clear bra was driving me nuts, and I simply couldn't look at the terrible condition any more, so I started with it. Since the clear film is much softer that the paint, I simply used an orange light cutting pad and M205 for the correction. Here is the film before correction.

And afterwards you can see that the swirls, holograms, and scratches are removed, but unfortunately the film has seen better days and is still rather dull and lifeless.

I then proceeded to work my way around the car... here is the front door before correction.

And after correction.

Passenger Door Before Correction.

And after correction.

I couldn't decide which of these 50/50 shots was best, so I'll just include both of them. You can clearly see the improvement! The paint is much darker and deeper, too!

There were some pretty heavy defects on the rear bumper, so I did my best to help hide them. Here is the before.

And after. Not perfect, but improved nonetheless.

Front fender before correction.

and after correction.

Tail Light before correction

And after correction.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another weekend, Another BMW paint correction. Sapphire Black 2008 335i - Multi Step Correction

Once I was finished polishing, I pulled the car outside to inspect the paint before proceeding with the glaze and sealant. Paint was looking great!

I then began finishing up a few smaller details such as the exhaust tips before calling it a day. Here is before polishing.

And after

The next morning, I glazed the car and then applied the sealant and left it to cure for about an hour before removing.

After

The paint turned out fantastic! It was deep, very glossy, and just looked like a mirror!

The sun decided to come out for just a few minutes so I got a couple of quick shots right as the owner arrived.

As always, thanks for looking! Questions and/or Comments are always appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another weekend, Another BMW paint correction. Sapphire Black 2008 335i - Multi Step Correction

Nicely done. Car looks much better now.

Super Member Anthony@zerboautoworks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow awesome turnaround, the picture of the hood finished is amazingly wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the Bimmer mate !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! Looks like a mirror. Very glossy as well.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

What a mess it was. No problem for the "Zach Attack" LOL.

Did you get any paint measurements?

Post Thanks / Like

Great turnaround on that BMW. The gloss is amazing. About how much time did this take you?

Post Thanks / Like

man, that looks great.............his previous detailer needs to be shot
    In GOD we trust

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast