autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

At my September 2012 Detailing Boot Camp Class, one of my students asked me about my article on how to restore antique and original single stage paint. He has a number of old Dodge's and actually drove one to my class.

I explained to him the technique for rubbing-out oxidized, old brittle single stage paint using a product that's been around for single stage paints since the Model T and he followed my directions and below are the results.

Here's what Craig wrote to me in an e-mail...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parker

Hi Mike, I finished the Coronet today around 6:30 pm. Included are some before and after photos.

I have others, but these show the dramatic before and after, this is my first single stage paint correction, I learned a lot, so glad that I was able to attend your class in Sept this car was a lot of work, and all work took place at Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio.

Thanks Mike!

Before

After

Nice work Craig!

Mike Phillips

Re: 1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Here's the class Craig attended, note the cool cars I use for training purposes as I like to make my classes both educational and also fun and memorable...

Pictures & Comments from September 2012 Detailing Boot Camp

Here's Craig learning the way of the Flex 3401 on a 1940 Ford Coupe...

Here's Craig learning the way of the rotary buffer on a 1966 Corvette...

Craig Parker aka Craig Parker!

Detailing Bootcamp Classes
    My next class coming up is May 4th and 5th and again I'll have a number of cool cars here to work on plus some modern cars so you get a wide range of training experiences.

Register for the May 4th & 5th Detailing Bootcamp Class

These classes will fill up fast so clear your schedule and reserve your seat: 1-800-869-3011

Mike Phillips

Re: 1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

If you ever have the chance to restore the original single stage paint on a "Barn Find" or any other classic or SIV, which stands for Special Interest Vehicle, please read my article before you start for a few tips and techniques that will help you to preserve and revitalize the old, dried-out and brittle paint.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

In most cases, you only get one shot and restoring, antique single stage paint and if it's important to you to preserve the originality of the car, the #7 treatment is your best shot at success...

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice car. The paint color is a bit interesting. I wonder what the color is.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

This car brings back so much memories. It was my first car I purchased after H.S. !!! Many Many moons ago.
    Ron !!!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post

Very nice car. The paint color is a bit interesting. I wonder what the color is.
    I sent Craig and e-mail letting him know his before and after pictures have been posted so when he gets a chance I'm sure he will chime in and let you know the color.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked an online source - stock colors:

Citron Yella
    Medium Green Metallic
    Moss Green Metallic
    Green Gp - probably not it
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Before Craig started this project he called me at work to discuss, one of the things I discussed with him was the IMPORTANCE of getting GREAT BEFORE SHOTS.

You have to get the "before" shots BEFORE you start to work on oxidized, single stage paint or you'll,

A: Never get the chance again (because you can't go back in time)

B: If you start to polish the paint before you take the first before pictures it kind of ruins the effect.

Craig did a great job of getting the before pictures. :dblthumb2

Before

After

If you're ever in a position to do an extreme makeover on a classic car with single stage paint, be sure to read through my article on capturing the "before" pictures in this article...

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Can't tell you how many times I've heard or read of someone saying something like,

Sorry, but I didn't get any before pictures...

Once you start working on oxidized single stage paint, you'll lose your change to get pristine, "before" pictures. So slow down and take a moment to get good before pictures.

The power in the after shots are created in the before shots...

Post Thanks / Like

What a dramatic turnaround!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    What a dramatic turnaround!
    Roshan I agree 100% the color of that green after restoration is beautiful.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast