autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Single Stage White Paint Detail

So my "daily" is a 88 Ford Crown Victoria LTD. It was a Nevada car and is now in Iowa. There is no rust and very little paint issues, aside from a few rock chips and some paint missing on edges. Not too bad over all.

I have owned it since November and have washed it twice at the local wand wash (I live in an apartment and did not have a shop area till last week).

Well I got my car in my new shop, and while I was waiting for things to get started, I might as well detail my ride. Thanks to the single stage thread on here, I got some #7 and dove head first. Here are a few photos. I do not have any before photos because I did not think about it before hand. Go figure.

Started out with a cleaning of the car with a quick detailer. The car was clean as it was washed two days earlier and had only driven a block in that time. I then used clay on the hood and passenger quarter panel. After that it was three layers of #7. Let the first layer sit for 24 hours. Then two layers the next day. After that it was Meguiars cleaner wax applied and removed by hand.

Here is a finished quarter panel compared to a door that was only clayed.

Hood after one coat of #7

Finished hood.

Passenger door before clay compared to finished quarter panel

Clayed passenger door compared to rear door that has had no detailing, not even a detail spray.

#7 on microfiber after one coat on hood.

The liquid gold.

Close up of rear pass side door with only clay compared to rear quarter panel with no detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single Stage White Paint Detail

Looks good

Post Thanks / Like

Your post, and processes I am just not getting at all, sorry, and I know this will seem insulting, but I believe you have no idea what products are, and how to use them.

For sure, you don't let a product like Meg's #7 sit for any time. This is not a wax, sealant, and offers no protection. It is a Glaze. Read up about Glazes, what they do, and what they don't do.

By letting that product sit any length of time, you do an equal amount of damage, by the hard rubbing to get it off the paint.

I'm a kind guy, so don't take my response as rude, I'm truly trying to help.

A wash is good, Clay is good if you use it properly. With a DA, use as mild a polish, and Pad that will get the job done.

Glazes do little to no correction, They can mask, and hide imperfections, fill, and round off some edges of scratches, and work well for quite a long time, followed by a wax, or sealer. Let's say a Guitar finish. Works great. But they do no permanent paint correction. A vehicle is not a guitar. This is the job of a polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Your post, and processes I am just not getting at all, sorry, and I know this will seem insulting, but I believe you have no idea what products are, and how to use them.

For sure, you don't let a product like Meg's #7 sit for any time. This is not a wax, sealant, and offers no protection. It is a Glaze. Read up about Glazes, what they do, and what they don't do.

By letting that product sit any length of time, you do an equal amount of damage, by the hard rubbing to get it off the paint.

A wash is good, Clay is good if you use it properly. With a DA, use as mild a polish, and Pad that will get the job done.

Glazes do little to no correction, They can mask, and hide imperfections, fill, and round off some edges of scratches, and work well for quite a long time, followed by a wax, or sealer. Let's say a Guitar finish. Works great. But they do no permanent paint correction. A vehicle is not a guitar. This is the job of a polish.
    Even on a single stage paint with no clear coat? I must have misread the tutorial then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

Mark the OP probably got the process and technique from this article by Mike Phillips .

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
    Mark the OP probably got the process and technique from this article by Mike Phillips .

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
    Exactly my thoughts as well

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I used. Did I mess up somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piranah View Post
    Thats what I used. Did I mess up somewhere?
    Nope, you didn't mess up, I now see what you are trying to accomplish, and I stand corrected.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Whew. I have been detailing for 6 years and this is my first attempt at a single stage paint. All my detailing has been work trucks or dealer cars. With a few classic cars thrown in (in laws cars)