autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WRB Subaru BRZ - 2 step paint correction & Opti-Coat by Mr. Sparkle Detailing - Long Island

After doing a number of FRS / BRZ with 1 step polishes only I expected much of the same on this day. This paint through me a curveball so it's worth sharing.

Client dropped off a world rally blue BRZ for paint correction and Opti-Coat. After inspection under LED I still anticipated a 1 step only. I did my usual wash, iron x, clay bar routine and moved on to taking some paint measurements.

I found some big inconsistencies in the paint depth which alerted me to a couple areas I'd have to be careful. Here we see 150+ microns

and nearly half as much material in this area running along the roof (low readings on both sides in this area)

Moving on I spent some time taping off the trim to protect it during polishing

Then I started my test spots. My usual 1 step combos were just not cutting it. I'd get about 90% of the defects out but there was always a little something left behind. Seemed clear this car did not have widespread defects but what was present, some of it was deep. I had plenty of time with the car, so I changed my game plan and looked for a 2 step combo to get where I needed.

Ultimately I settled on:

Griots + Megs MF cutting pads + D300
    Flex 3401 + LC white + Menz SF4000

A look at the paint to start

After the correction process

Correcting the roof with the Griots polisher (you can disregard my friends Sti that was also in the shop that day and also WRB )

Paint before under LED flood light

after correction

Car was washed again, wiped down with 'Eraser' and then protected with Opti-Coat

Afters:

and under LED floods only

Another happy client in the Mr. Sparkle garage!

Proudly serving Long Island and FT86 Club
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WRB Subaru BRZ - 2 step paint correction & Opti-Coat by Mr. Sparkle Detailing - Long Island

Amazing job.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WRB Subaru BRZ - 2 step paint correction & Opti-Coat by Mr. Sparkle Detailing - Long Island

Nice work. You are becoming the go to guy for those BRZ's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    Nice work. You are becoming the go to guy for those BRZ's.
    thanks!

I've done my fair share but I know there are a few guys around the country who have done a lot more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    Then I started my test spots. My usual 1 step combos were just not cutting it. I'd get about 90% of the defects out but there was always a little something left behind. Seemed clear this car did not have widespread defects but what was present, some of it was deep. I had plenty of time with the car, so I changed my game plan and looked for a 2 step combo to get where I needed.

Ultimately I settled on:

Griots + Megs MF cutting pads + D300
    Flex 3401 + LC white + Menz SF4000

I really enjoy Show N' Shine section, but my post is really to say thank you to you (and others), not just for sharing the results, but listing the products and tools to achieve the outcome. Info such as this is extremely helpful for a newbie like myself. It is very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    I really enjoy Show N' Shine section, but my post is really to say thank you to you (and others), not just for sharing the results, but listing the products and tools to achieve the outcome. Info such as this is extremely helpful for a newbie like myself. It is very much appreciated.
    no problem. most guys here (including myself) are primarily interested in the pad / polish combos when looking at show & shine threads so I try to include that

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. I really like the paint color.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!

How do you find the LED lighting? Is that all you use, or do you also have halogens etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    Great work!

How do you find the LED lighting? Is that all you use, or do you also have halogens etc?

I have halogens but in a lot of side by side comparisons I've done I find the LEDs show more. They are also much more efficient and give off virtually no heat in comparison.

I mainly use 18w par38 single diode LED flood light bulbs in the daylight spectrum. Kinda expensive for a bulb but you can find at home depot. I have 4 of them mounted in the garage and a 5th on a photography stand I can move around and adjust quite a bit

really should just build one of these though

3600 Lumens LED stand build - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. BRZ AND FRS are two beautiful cars. If I had to choose one, I think the BRZ would be my choice just because its a Subaru! Nice color.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast