autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chicagoland Detail Day...pics and stories!

We finally had our detail day and it went very well, nice to put a face with a "screen" name, LOL! I got to try out 3 different machines and I know this, I've got a ways to go before I step up to a Flex or Makita, that's for sure! Those things correct so much faster and you've really gotta know what your doing, more than common sense is needed to work one properly and most importantly, safely!

We originally has 17 sign up and 10 ended up showing up, so not too bad for our first time out, I expect our next one to be even better and bigger, we learned alot from our initial event and will apply it to our next one, whenever that is.

We had a couple great sponsors too, one big and one small. Our big sponsor was Mothers, thanks Forrest for providing us with so many samples, looking forward to trying the synthetic wax, can't say I've tried Mother's out. Our other sponsor was Garry Dean and I went and checked out his website last night when I got home and was blown away! This guy is what our country is all about, the little guy with ambition who's making it happen everyday. His story and confidence is inspiring, I encourage you guys who haven't done so to go and check out his website and see what I'm talking about. This guy has put his neck out there and has both a shop and mobile unit AND has his own product line to his specs, awesome I plan on adding some of his products to my arsenal in the spring for the 2013 season, along with some CC Blacklight, got to see that in action on my g/f's Mazda 6.........WOW!

Ofcoarse none of this would've been possible without the help of Ivan who was nice enough to provide his shop for us to use, big thanks there and lastly, the people who actually showed up to make this happen, everyone brought something to the table. We had one guy, David, drive 4 hrs from Iowa to make the day, commitment

So here's some of my pics:

A random CG's product used on this C-pillar, awesome!

LarryA working so fast that it blurred the pic!

A meeting of the minds....

This is my g/f's Mazda 6 and we ONR'd the car, clayed the car and used that new towel for claying, can't remember what polish I used on it but we used 2 different pads, one MF and one foam and Connor finshed with CG Blacklight. I removed it and WOOOOOW, what a finish I gave off!

Garry Dean tire dressing

DoDo Juice tire dressing

I spry and Edsel!

Wett!

I will try and get some pics outside sometime soon but the car wasn't in that bad of shape but it had some RIDs and minor swirls since it hadn't had a wheel on it since the fall of 2011.

Looking forward to seeing all the other pics too!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chicagoland Detail Day...pics and stories!

Here is Paul (2old2change) demonstrating the dynabrade attachment with a Megs MF pad as Ron (rzatch) watches.

Roger (Klasse Act) tries out the Flex 3401.

David (TimeWillTell) gets his hands on the dynabrade.

John (MadMerc) tests out the new prep towel with a cool pressurized sprayer that Paul brought.

All of the awesome stuff that Mothers donated, thanks Forrest!!!

Big ups to Gary Dean as well for donating samples of his Infinite Use Detail Juice to us! I can't wait to try this stuff out. Roger used some of Gary Dean's tire gel on his Mazda, after seeing the sheen and dry finish I want some of that as well!

Ron educating Roger in the finer points of the classic combo of a rotary and wool.

Roger stepping up and giving it a shot for himself!

Ivan playing around with the prep towel.

Chad (Divine Details) using the prep towel to remove some contaminants from the roof of this Honda.

I'll post some more photos later..
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!
    Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like
    I clayed the green Civic w/ my GG clay but after trying the prep towel I'm a believer for sure! Is the price high for the backyard guy, maybe so but its soooo easy though. When my clay bar is all used up, I'll have a prep towel for sure!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good time was had by all
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

You're absolutely right Flash! We may have had a smaller attendance than was anticipated, but it was still an awesome time. Definitely looking forward to doing it again.

Roger doing more work with a rotary, with foam this time!

Ivan trying out some Black Wow on a faded black plastic grill on the Civic.

The result.

Roger working with a Lake Country microfiber pad on my GG6, I believe this was Sonax Perfect Finish being used?

Roger and Paul checking their work.

There were some deeper scratches on the trunk, but the Sonax really made the red flake in the paint "pop"!

After everything was polished, Roger and I amped up and locked in the shine with Chemical Guys Blacklight. Another item added to my shopping list.

The Civic being shined up.

David working out some Mothers finishing polish on the rotary.

Ivan showing us his concoction of D300 and M105 being used with a Solo wool pad on the rotary.

Ron made me a believer of Chemical Guys P40-Polish, an All-In-One that I had never heard of before. It actually gave a good amount of correction on this hammered Honda paint!

Larry and Paul wrapping up the Civic.

This was a really fun day, and I loved seeing and using many different products. Some products that I was interested in are now firmly on my list of items to buy, alongside others that I'd never even heard of before! The speed shine prep towel absolutely proved it's merit, as well as the dynabrade, Sonax perfect finish, Gary Dean's tire gel, as well as many others!
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!
    Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

wish i could have made it. looks like alot of fun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it was a lot of fun indeed.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a successful event. Once other members in your area see this you may have a larger turnout. Cars turned out great.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a great time and learned a lot of tips and tricks.

I tried a couple of different polishers and now I can't wait to get my hands on a flex 3403 now.

Again thanks to Forrest @mothers for the products. And to Ivan for letting us use the shop and teaching us how to use paint gauges.

I will try to post some of my pics later when I am at a computer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to the next one for sure! Paul, thanks for bringing that hood, hope to be able to do that again, that's where the learning really happens, learning is fun and I wanna do that again!

In addition to that, an actual car that we could use those buffers on would be great to, actual corners would really help, real world angles would be the next logical step in the process, go from the test hood to an actual hood. Now for this test we need a car that not only needs it but one that its ok if a mistake is made, that's what I really wanna see, one car to do that needs it!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast