autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

2010 Camaro SS

This job was a referral from the Z01 Corvette I did a few weeks back. This was going to be a full correction, wheels-off job. Unfortunately I only had one cigar left!

Here's the car as it arrived:

The entire top surface of every panel was scratched and swirled due to auto car washes. I attempted to capture some in the late day sun:

Here's what the wheels looked like:

There was a fairly large scuff in the plastic back bumper that they hoped I could remove:

First up was the removal of the wheels. I did one at a time. I jacked up the front first, removed one wheel and cleaned the wheel well and caliper. The caliper was cleaned with Wolf's Decon gel and/or Tarminator. The wells were cleaned with Zep Citrus and a long handled brush. After that, I went over the plastic wells again with ONR. I then used my master blaster and dried everything off very well. The caliper was then sealed with OG.
    Here's work in progress on the first wheel:

The wheel barrel got attended to next. The right front was terrible! It had contamination marks (spots) on the barrels that Tarminator, Wolf's, IX, Megs WB all would not remove. They seemed to have eaten into the paint on the barrels.
    Next the face was cleaned with Tarminator, and then Zep Citrus. The tire was cleaned with Zep Purple.
    The wheel and tire was dried front and back. I put it on my folding table and then tried buffing out those marks in the barrel with M105 and a yellow 3" Buff and Shine pad and my GG 3" DA. Waste of time. Zero improvement. I wasn't getting my way and I was not happy, LOL.
    The barrel and face then got sealed with OG. The wells were shot with my air gun and DP tire gel.
    All four wheels got cleaned in a similar fashion although the other barrels were not nearly as bad as that one.

Caliper done:

Well dressed:

Wheel face done with OG:

Doing the wheels took me 4.5 hours on this car.
    It was pitch black and late so the rest of the car wash would be done the next day.

Here it is getting foamed the next day followed by a strong wash to remove any wax. There were several spots of tree sap that were stuck to the surface. Tarminator took care of those. One was old and had scored the paint on the roof. Shame.

Here we are after claying with Elastofoam. I tried to capture the many scratches on all the top surfaces:

The compounding stage was typical for hard GM clear. I had just received some Surbuff pads and wanted to try them out on the hood using M105 and my Megs DA. That gave me pretty and shiny scratches. Out came the rotary (Dyna) and my black wool Tuf Buff pad. That did it! I followed that up with a green B/S pad with D300 and my DA. That was followed by M205 and a white pad on my DA.
    Here is a shot of the hood in progress:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Camaro SS

The Surbuff did do OK on the side surfaces that were not too bad. I followed that up with M205.

The back bumper mark got my way of polishing plastic with the Dyna and wool. Very, very slowly with feathering the trigger giving it short shots and working the area for only a few short seconds. Takes longer this way; does not produce heat; gives good correction.
    There were also several paint chips to be repaired. I would estimate about 12 of them.

After the paint was finished, I did the chrome exhaust tips with Colli Metal wax. The trim was done with UTTG.
    The paint was cleaned with ONR in preparation of OG. I had inspected the paint under various lighting and it was ready to go. I applied OG to all the glass as well as the paint. I even had polished out the letters spelling "CAMARO" on both sides.
    After the OG had cured for a few hours, it was treated to Permanon via spray gun and wiped down with a ww drying towel and a soft mf to buff the surface. Very slick. Now outside for its photo review. This was an outside only job:

Remember the scuff???

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, wow! Love camaros, and that detail haha.

What did you use on the tires? It looks like a spray dressing?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job...I hope the owner was very appreciative.

Post Thanks / Like

Very Nice Turnaround!!!
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome, what a transformation!

I have a 2010 camaro also (check out the screen name ) and since you just did one, I was wondering if you could comment on what I plan to do.

I was hoping to buy my first buffer (PC 7424XP as I am a newb) with Megs 105/205 and some pads. I believe I have some medium-bad swirling as well as some RIDS. Do you think the PC will be enough to get rid of all that so that I can apply Opticoat afterwards?

And if you do, what kind of pads would I have to buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great richy. Our bumpers are the biggest pains ever. They scratch so much easier than the paint on the metal and they are a pain to buff to perfection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Looks awesome, what a transformation!

I have a 2010 camaro also (check out the screen name ) and since you just did one, I was wondering if you could comment on what I plan to do.

I was hoping to buy my first buffer (PC 7424XP as I am a newb) with Megs 105/205 and some pads. I believe I have some medium-bad swirling as well as some RIDS. Do you think the PC will be enough to get rid of all that so that I can apply Opticoat afterwards?

And if you do, what kind of pads would I have to buy?
    What color is camaro? That would help a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Great result, congrats!
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Great work as always Richy !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast