autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1992 Jeep Cherokee

This was me just playing around with my Metabo rotary, pad combinations and XMT #3. I just wanted to see how fast the rotary was and of course the learning curve…I’m still new to the rotary and I’m trying to practice as much as I can and my Jeep is the perfect vehicle to practice on, the pictures will illustrate why I use the Jeep lol.

On to the process:

Wash

I washed my Volvo using Pinnacle Shampoo and had some left over so I decided to wash the hood of the Jeep and break out the Metabo rotary. Weather was great today 11…slush town lol..oh but tomorrow it goes back to it’s norm…snow and -3 ish lol.

Clay

I had the Meg’s clay bar (white one) and so I didn’t want to use my Pinnacle clay I thought I’d use the Meg’s. The Meg’s clay bar doesn’t have much bite but it had to do.

Polish

I used Edge 2K green with XMT #3 and then Edge 2K orange pad with XMT #1 and both with the Metabo rotary. Must say the rotary is much faster, XMT seemed to break down fast. One thing I did wrong though is I took to large of an area. You will see in the pictures how I split the entire hood up and I should have split it down further just for my self but I just wanted to see the limits of the rotary and the polish. The rotary and the PC are the same when it comes to surface area to polish, stick to the 2 x 2 lol..I knew better but I thought I’d try to stretch it and well it didn’t work out.

Glaze

Since I like the Glaze so much I thought why not use it, this I applied by hand. I wanted to try to use the rotary but I just couldn’t see me doing it with the rotary so I just did it by hand. Nice and think, let it sit till it hazed and then removed by hand with a MF towel. I really like the Glaze and the smell too.

Wax

Since the color is white I used the Liquid Souveran, now I used this same wax on my Lexus and I was really pleased with it and on white it makes the white look like milk. Gives a nice wet look…you’ll see what I mean.

Well on to the pictures:

Before and during the process.

The poor thing has never been pampered and it really shows.

Me claying the hood.

I wanted to tape the areas just to help my self and I wanted to test the polish and the Metabo rotary. I know, the size of the panels are big but just goffing around lol..

The tools to tackle the hood.

Now I think I may have over done it with the polish but it seemed to work okay for me for one area....on the rest of the panels I used less polish and it did good too. So not sure which is right for now...just trial and error for me for now.

Did the two panels on the right side on this picture and the reflection is really showing.

Half of the hood completed...not to shaby for an old beater.

Again completed half the hood and there is the pad to show how it looks. Oh almost forgot, that's my
    helper holding the Metabo...what would I do with out my helper.
    Last edited by Nica; 04-09-2007 at 01:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    woah, finally! awesome, nica! keep them coming!
    btw, don't you want to take off your watch for that?

lauren
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    After pictures

There were some scratches that I couldn't remove and I was okay with it in addition, I had to leave some micromarring...I was getting cold and I was running out of sun light lol.

Okay not all went well, I was goofing off and I didn't pay attention. I don't have a paint gauge and it looks like the edge of the hood was thin and here is the result. Now I didn't burn through the paint but I made it thin and therefore, you can see that dark line and that's just the paint thining at that particular area...um...the rest is good lol. Moral of the story is that rotary can damage....but we all knew that..lol. Well no harm no foul, this is just the beater any way.

I felt bad that I only washed the hood and the rest was full of mud so I decided to wash the rest of the vehicle and this is what the hood looked like...I'm pleased.

For the grand final, here she is...see told you rust every where but I love it, the engine will probably out last the body hahahaha and I'll drive it till it calls it quits.

So hope you enjoy, let me know what you think and if you got any pointers please...please...share.

Post Thanks / Like
    great job...the hood looks a hundred times better...and looks like you got a chance to learn the downside of the rotary as well...i use the rotary just on big panels of a car...hood...trunk...roof...and doors...the "ridges" and curved panels get the pc...its good to own both ...a few tips...while you are still learning to use the rotary a good way to test if their is a chance to "burn" paint is to go over the area like you would but with the machine turned off...if the sides of the pad bump into anything...tape that area off...the sides of a rotary pad will often cause the most paint burning issues...its also a good chance to see how you are going to have to angle your machine to stay parallel to the surface you are working on...if at anytime you hear the machine bog down and try to electronically compensate you are doing something wrong...either pressing to hard or you are no longer parallel to the surface....if you feel heat radiating back at you is also another sign you are either polishing to fast or with too much pressure...a little heat is good...but to much and your paint will finish foggy and will never come out...i could go on and on with tips but these are the few basics that I wish someone had told me...luckily like you I had a "beater" to practice on...oh yah...and if the pad cant sit full flat on an area...dont polish it...the edges of the pad will probably burn the paint before you get any real correcting done...the outer edge of the pad is spinning the fastest so dont try to polish by trying to angle the edge of the pad into a sharp turn/curve/groove...something like that you can get away with on a pc..but on a rotary you will see paint bubble...
    Last edited by orngez; 04-09-2007 at 01:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltoman
    woah, finally! awesome, nica! keep them coming!
    btw, don't you want to take off your watch for that?

lauren
    Yea I should have, if anything I was going to damage my watch lol...teasing. I forgot but I'm sure if I was doing the Volvo or the Lexus the watch rings and all would be off lol.

Quote Originally Posted by orngez
    great job...the hood looks a hundred times better...and looks like you got a chance to learn the downside of the rotary as well...i use the rotary just on big panels of a car...hood...trunk...roof...and doors...the "ridges" and curved panels get the pc...its good to own both ...a few tips...while you are still learning to use the rotary a good way to test if their is a chance to "burn" paint is to go over the area like you would but with the machine turned off...if the sides of the pad bump into anything...tape that area off...the sides of a rotary pad will often cause the most paint burning issues...its also a good chance to see how you are going to have to angle your machine to stay parallel to the surface you are working on...if at anytime you hear the machine bog down and try to electronically compensate you are doing something wrong...either pressing to hard or you are no longer parallel to the surface....if you feel heat radiating back at you is also another sign you are either polishing to fast or with too much pressure...a little heat is good...but to much and your paint will finish foggy and will never come out...i could go on and on with tips but these are the few basics that I wish someone had told me...luckily like you I had a "beater" to practice on...oh yah...and if the pad cant sit full flat on an area...dont polish it...the edges of the pad will probably burn the paint before you get any real correcting done...the outer edge of the pad is spinning the fastest so dont try to polish by trying to angle the edge of the pad into a sharp turn/curve/groove...something like that you can get away with on a pc..but on a rotary you will see paint bubble...
    I had to edit this...man that is some sweet information...thanks buddy...wow..I got a long way to go...I hope the Jeep can take it hahahaha....well I cant possible make it worse..crossing fingers lol.

Yea, I got the PC but I wanted to see the Metabo in it's full power...hahaha funny because I only got it to 1500 (dial 3 me thinks). The rotary is a great tool, just have to know how to work her...oh yea I named my rotary Lola! Lola and I had fun today and can't wait to get the Cyclo...I need a name for my Cyclo now...hahahaha...to funny but hey if I didn't have fun why would I do it hahahaha. Next time I post something and I use it don't go wondering who is Lola this Nica is refering to hahaha.
    Last edited by Nica; 04-09-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    so you gotta PC, a metabo, and a cyclo.

When is the festool coming?
    Frank
    Thanks to AG I only wipe my butt with MF's now

Post Thanks / Like
    also...when polishing with the rotary you should move toward an edge...dont start at one..so like the edge of your hood its better to move from side to side (passenger to driver side) than from front to back....the reason for this is when you finally reach the edge of your hood you do not want to be running a rotary along the same path as the edge of the hood...like stated earlier the outer edge of the pad is what is spinning the fastest...and now that spinning edge is running along the thinnest part of your paint.....what i usually do in rotary polishing is similar to painting a wall...i "cut in" the edges and curves first with either the pc if they are really tight spot..or I set the rotary to its slowest speed and take care of those areas first...now that the edges are done I do the rest of the big flat area without worrying about getting close to the edges because they are already done...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nica, thank you showing your work in progress, I do appreciate you doing this. That's what it takes playing around with the rotary to get it down. Something I need to with mine. You really turn that hood around. Awesome write up. Keep us updated on your Jeep's progress. By the way what speeds were you running on your rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Nica! It looks like a good vehicle to practice your rotary skill on.

Are you trying to be a tape artist?

Post Thanks / Like
    orngez - Those are some really good tips, please if you got more keep them coming. I'm taking all your sharing wth me and I'm transfering to a word document and printing it off, thank you.

sparkie - I was mostly using (I think) 1,000 rpms (dial 2) but when I almost burnt through the paint I was using about 1,500 rmp (dial 3 ish). Just wanted to fool around and that I did. Overal it's still hard to burn through the paint if your carefull and I can totally understand why people say lower speeds is better. But it's good to know how fast you can burn through the cc and the paint.

Gary - lol..yea I went a little over board with the taping but I having fun and well just thought I'd continue doing the hood lol.

AUdakota - I know I got to many toys but a friend from work is going to purchase my PC so I needed to replace it and decided ont he Cyclo. Next tool that's on it's way here is the paint gauge EGT-II..very nice paint gauge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast