autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Pontiac Grand Prix

A real good friend of mine asked me last fall to detail his car. Well, it never happened until just this past week. I seem to always go above and beyond in my details, and this one shows. He was wanting a detail, which to 97% of people is a wash, wax, and spruce up the interior. Well, he got a bit more than that. Onto the before pictures!

As we can tell, we're dealing with a rough black vehicle. I've read the horror stories of GM black paint being tough as nails, but I couldn't worry about that. It was 6:30 in the morning, with the heat rising by the second. I must press on!

^^^That was was just from the wheels and wires

So after washing and drying the beast, I moved onto a quick claying. I suspected it had never been clayed in it's life. My suspicions were confirmed. This was the lower portions of the car.

So now that we have it washed and clayed, it was time to look at the true condition of the paint. If you notice, the condition of pictures improves from here on out. I grabbed my six year old Sony point and shoot and then moved to my brother's Canon 50D with the 18-55mm kit lens. So, let's see what I found.

Hood shot! (I'll come back to this)

As we can see, even without flash you can tell this isn't shining up like it should be. Taking into account several factors, I decided against an AIO and went for a one step polish and then a good seal.

That is the exact same post as the previous picture. Look at the difference. The depth, the gloss, the clarity. It's all back!

I tried a couple 50/50 on the fender, but the bends were throwing me fits. You can still tell the difference. I can assure you though, this isn't the only 50/50 I got.

By this point, it's nearing 11:30am and I'm about out of shade in my driveway. Part two continues under the carport and in the next post....
    Kyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugdug View Post
    Anyways, a customer with a hummer asked me if there was a surcharge for his hummer. I said yes, it's an SUV. He said quote "well it's an H3, so it's not really an suv".......

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Pontiac Grand Prix

So, it's time to start the rest of the car. Here are the promised 50/50's

This one is my favorite.

Alright, excellent progress. I would have more pictures from other areas, except there is one problem.....time. My friend is going to get the car at 4:30. So I put the camera down and go to work...

So I finish polishing and pull it out into the sun for a quick look over. I wanted to do more with the headlights, but I was really pressed for time, I still had to wax it and do the interior, and they really needed a wetsand and coating session.

So, I seal it, and look at the time. 2:49. I have a little more than an hour seal the wheels,clean the interior, dry foam and scrub the carpets, dress the interior, clean and dress the leather, clean the windows, apply the tire and underwheel dressing, and look over it. Well, you know what I said?

In doing so, I have zero shots of the interior cleaning. I also forgot to get a shot of the engine bay dressed. I was literally pulling it out as he showed up to get it. Here is the final shot, all said and done.

I could see him coming down the street, his head out the window, and jaw dragging on the ground. He couldn't pick it back up. Nothing but a string of "You're ate up man!" "Wow!" "You're the man!". At this point, because of the heat and pushing so hard, I'm drenched in sweat and having a time catching my breath, but even I could stand back and enjoy this moment with him. It was 4:30. And I was done.

Now, the process
    Engine sprayed down with straight Optimum Power Clean and a Chemical Guys's Citrus Wash, agitated with Raceglaze style brushes and old microfiber mitt
    Wheels were cleaned with Wolf's Chemicals WF-1P Decon gel, agitated with Daytona Wheel Brush, Mother's Wheel Brush and and old microfiber mitt.
    Tires and wheelwells cleaned with straight Optimum Power Clean, agitated with Mother's Tire Brush.
    Car washed with...ahem....3 net oz of Chemical Guys' Citrus Wash and Gloss. I thought the cup said fluid oz, but it was really net oz.
    Car clayed with Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay, lubed with Optimum No Rinse.

Polish, pad and machine of choice? Menzerna Power Finish PO 203 on 6.5" Lake Country White flat pads on speed 5 on a Griot's Garage polisher, with some spot work done with at 4" Lake Country White CCS pad. To say I was impressed is an understatement. I was a sworn member of the SMAT party, since I didn't have to wait for any breakdown. But after using Power Finish and seeing the results, I think I've changed my mind.
    Sealant of choice was BlackFire Wet Diamond. I thought about keeping in the Menzerna line and going with Power Lock, but I wanted that extraness that Polycharger gives BFWD.
    Tires dressed with CarPro PERL at 1:1.
    Exterior trim was dressed with CarPro PERL at 1:1.
    Wheelwells dressed with Finish Kare Top Kote dressing
    Wheels were coated with Element 119 System X.
    Engine was dressed with 303 Aerospace protectant.
    Exauhst tips were polished with Meguiar's NXT All Metal Polysh and microfiber towel.

Interior was cleaned with Optimum Power Clean at 3:1, using a Swissvax detail microfiber towels and brush.
    Carpets were scrubbed with Tuff Stuff and Turtle Wax Oxy Power Out foam, scrubbed with a Libman brush
    Interior was protected with 303 Aerospace protectant.
    Leather was cleaned with Optimum Power Clean at 3:1, using a Swissvax leather Brush and microfiber
    towels.
    Leather was protected with Poorbooy's Leather Stuff.
    Windows were cleaned with Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner.

All in all, I was satisfied with the job. I knew that perfection wasn't gonna happen. I was thinking if I could get 80%, I would be happy, and I think I achieved that. If I had to do it again, I would've done the interior the night before when he dropped it off. I wasn't think I was going to cutting it that close on time. Lesson learned.

Alright, I'm done talking. Comments and questions now.
    Kyle
    Anyways, a customer with a hummer asked me if there was a surcharge for his hummer. I said yes, it's an SUV. He said quote "well it's an H3, so it's not really an suv".......

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why you spent so much time on your friend's car, clearly he doesn't give a crap about it if he bought those wheels on purpose. You did a great job though. What did you charge him?

Post Thanks / Like

Kyle...great job on the ride man! And excellent write up. Thanks for sharing. I hope your friend appreciates it and will take car of it from now on. How hard were those scuff marks, on the front bumper, to get out?
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Not sure why you spent so much time on your friend's car, clearly he doesn't give a crap about it if he bought those wheels on purpose. You did a great job though. What did you charge him?
    The only reason I spent so much time is because he is one of my longest known friend, and I treat them well. It's just part of who I am. Sometimes, profits aren't the main thing. And he just bought those wheels last fall. At first I wasn't a fan, but they're growing on me. I think if they were another size larger, it's really be killer.

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    Kyle...great job on the ride man! And excellent write up. Thanks for sharing. I hope your friend appreciates it and will take car of it from now on. How hard were those scuff marks, on the front bumper, to get out?
    They were tricky just because of the way the plastic falls in there. I probably should've cracked a 4" MF pad with some D300 on it, but the PF/White combo took care of most of it, save for the spot way at the bottom. I thought about putting him on a monthly wash plan so it'll stay like that
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Black wheels are the thing now...and I would guess he went with the red stripe to match the Brembo's...

Oh wait...no Brembo's...guess he painted the rotors too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Black wheels are the thing now...and I would guess he went with the red stripe to match the Brembo's...

Oh wait...no Brembo's...guess he painted the rotors too.
    Just part of Pontiac's Comp G package. I did like how everything was consistent, everything black and red.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggo99 View Post
    Just part of Pontiac's Comp G package. I did like how everything was consistent, everything black and red.
    ... but that engine has no supercharger.

Anywho, nice job and very nice of you to go to all that work for a friend!
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aerogt01 View Post
    ... but that engine has no supercharger.

Anywho, nice job and very nice of you to go to all that work for a friend!
    They changed in 2006 I believe so the GT trim lines could be equipped for with the Comp G. package. I know, I popped that good and wanted to see that supercharger, but alas, leave it to the old style GM to do something like that.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Kyle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast