autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad's Truck (2011 Sierra)

My Dad got this truck last year. You can see he's had it lowered and has also put fender skirts on it. It is the only one of its kind, that's for sure! I put the DG nano coating on it for him last year. It lasted through the winter but is gone now. Now it was time to step up to System 119. I planned on doing a one step cleanup to the paint and did so for the most part, although the hood ended up needing more. It ended up taking me 14 hours to do this beast. It was a lot of square feet to cover! Here we go...

As it arrived:

There were several chips that needed filling and the touch up paint was supplied. It was quite runny which made it super easy to work with. First up was the wash stage:

Wheels/Wells/Tires/Barrels:

The tires were done with Zep Purple.
    The barrels were first done with Tarminator to remove tar deposits inside.
    The wheels & barrels were done with Zep Citrus.
    The wells were done with Zep Citrus.

Door Jams:

The door jams were done next with a long handled brush and Zep Citrus and the power washer (turned off so it had a gentle stream)

Foam/Wash:

Next was a foam job which was done with a combo of DG 901 and Dawn to strip any remaining LSP that might be there. The wash solution was the same. After power washing clean, there was no wax or any protection on there anymore!

Clay:

Jim (Old Tiger) graciously sent me an Elastofoam clay block last year and I keep forgetting to try it. I have read that one should break it in on glass first, so I did that. I made sure I used plenty of ONR lube when I started using it on paint. I then tried 1/2 the hood with it and 1/2 with Riccardo yellow to see if I could feel any difference: I couldn't. This foam thing is great! I did not mar the paint whatsoever and sure got this stage done quicker. I will always have one of these on hand from now on. Luckily I've only got about 4 cans of clay, but those can always go to my daughter who will make better use of it than I can!

Paint Challenges:

Unfortunately, some of the shots I took didn't turn out. I shot the chips needing filling, etc. Here are a few that aren't completely useless...well, you be the judge...

Paint Correction/Protection:

I tried different things but ended up mixing up a bottle of 75% M205 and 25% M105. It was a one step with a KICK. I used a yellow B/S and my Megs DA. GM paint is hard so for the spots that had scratches or whatever, my Dyna was used with my black TB wool pad. Even that was not getting the kind of results I'm used to. For some spots I used the Megs burgundy wool pad. It also has a huge painted box cover which also added to the time. I had quite a few chips to fill for the whole truck.
    I wanted to try the DG paint cleaner again on this truck. This time I did it by hand. It went on just like 501 does by hand. I put it on with a foam applicator and allowed it to haze. Removal is fairly easy, but it does take a few passes to get everything. The metallic was sparkling after using it! I also used it on the chrome which it did very well and also on the glass. The back glass had calcium spots which it quickly got rid of. After polishing, I cleaned with ONR and then used the System 119 prep spray. I used the enclosed mf application pad. I did all the paint, chrome and glass with the System 119. I actually did the wheels with OG as I didn't think I was going to have enough 119 left for the whole vehicle. Good thing I did...I only had a few drops left!

Spraying the Tires:

Once again I tried the little spray gun method of applying tire dressing. This time however, I used DP gel in the gun. It is thicker so I had to change the settings, but it work beautifully! I can't decide which one I like better now: DP or Opti Bond. After spraying, I wiped it down with an applicator to remove any excess. I just LOVE the look it gives the tires. This is a great method for tires with ribs on the side too.

Chrome:

All exterior chrome including the running boards, bumpers, and grille, were polished with M205.

Trim:

Of course it got UTTG, my go-to for all trim now.

OK, after all that work...Let's see what it looks like now:

AFTERS:

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Dad's Truck (2011 Sierra)

Very nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, Richy! Love that truck! Is it a diesel?
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

Great job,
    that GMC looks awesome !
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Post Thanks / Like

Truck looks great Richie! Poppa is proud.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen fender skirts since the late 50's - early 60's!!! Were those custom made for him? Extraordinary work as always.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Niccccccccccccce. Better than new!
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I love the fact that your Dad lowered the GMC. I've always loved lowered trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    Very nice work!
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    Great work, Richy! Love that truck! Is it a diesel?
    Thanks Sergei. No, it's a gas V-8.

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFRED View Post
    Great job,
    that GMC looks awesome !
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Truck looks great Richie! Poppa is proud.
    Thank you. Yes, he's very fond of it and now it will stay looking great for him for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I haven't seen fender skirts since the late 50's - early 60's!!! Were those custom made for him? Extraordinary work as always.
    You're right. My father had them custom made for it. He's been restoring antiques and classics longer than I've lived so he has a talented pool of people at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by lokerola View Post
    Niccccccccccccce. Better than new!
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    Awesome! I love the fact that your Dad lowered the GMC. I've always loved lowered trucks.

Thanks Bobby! Looks better and easier to get into as well.