autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailed My Engine Compartment

Today, I was really bored, and putting off doing my taxes. So, I walked in the garage with no plans of doing anything and ended up detailing my engine compartment / wiper cowl of my "fun car"(08 BMW M Roadster in Black Sapphire Metallic). It wasn't filthy, as I usually pressure wash the area every few months and the car is garage kept and only driven in nice weather. These were the products I used:

ONR(nothing was greasy - no APC needed), OptiBond(diluted with 50% water as a dressing), BMW interior cleaner, BMW BSM touch up paint, Gummi Pflege(for the hood and cowl seals), Poor Boy's Black Hole and PB EX Sealant with Carnuba(for engine stabilizing struts and various metal parts), a micro fibre pad(and towels), and these little foam pads on sticks(from paint stores, they're good for applying dressings to tight areas without contaminating surrounding areas; like under wiper arms). I didn't take any before pics, but here are some after pics:

...OptiBond left a nice matte finish on the plastic stuff, and PB Black Hole and EX Sealant were used on the matte metal black painted parts under the hood like the radiator supports and strut braces. Before the PB stuff, the metal parts looked dull, now they look brand new.

...also used OptiBond on the valve cover, as it's topped with plastic.

After that, I decided to to a quick interior detail, concentrating on the leather seats. These were the products I used:

First I applied LeatherMaster's Vital (after a quick wipe down with water) with an AutoZone foam pad. This isn't a protector product, it says it restores the "fat balance" of leather. It makes the leather feel soft, smooth, and satin like, and dries to a matte non-greasy finish. Then I topped it with Poor Boys Leather Stuff, because this product has UV Inhibitors, which is important to keep dark seats from fading on a convertible driven with the top down in sunny weather. This product dries the same way as the Leather Masters.

Anyway, it's hard to get a pic of an all black interior that shows any detail. Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailed My Engine Compartment

Great looking work with the engine bay! I love a clean engine. Most normal people (not Autogeek's ), don't bother with their engine bays and I always hate opening up the bonnet and seeing filthy engine.

How well does PB's Black Hole and EX-P hole up under the surronding engine bay heat? How often to you find the "look" stays or must be reapplied? Thanks!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you like the poor boys leather cleaner? I'm looking for something new for my seats

Post Thanks / Like
    The Poor Boys leather cleaner is pretty nice. It's a one step product that cleans and UV protects. It leaves a nice matte finish and has a good price point. It's easy to apply, and not to thick and cream like. More like a thin lotion. I like it better than others I have, but I haven't tried too many. I've tried BMW Brand Leather Care( which I suspect is Sonus) and the Lexol Clean and Protect 2 step system. The PB Leather Stuff smells exactly like STP Son of a Gun Protectant from the 1990s, it must have the same scent ingredient. But, this isnt a bad smell. As for the durability of under hood sealants, etc... I suspect it is poor, this is the first time I've used any of these products under the hood or PB Black Hole(smells like grape, the EX Sealant with Carnuba smells like pineapple). The Black Hole really transformed the surfaces I used it on from dull to bright and shiny.

.... Thanks for looking and for the comments!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailed My Engine Compartment

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I suspect it is poor, this is the first time I've used any of these products under the hood or PB Black Hole(smells like grape, the EX Sealant with Carnuba smells like pineapple). The Black Hole really transformed the surfaces I used it on from dull to bright and shiny.

.... Thanks for looking and for the comments!
    Well, with the heat thats what I was thinking too, although I can overlook that for the deep shine your getting from the metal pieces now. Thats for the feedback!
    Chris