autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Black 2012 Sonata Hybrid, paint correction and Opti-Guard protection

Did this one a few weeks ago with some help from Justin. Client had contacted me inquiring about the cost of the Opti-Guard application so we scheduled a time to meet where I could evaluate the cars condition. Over all it wasn't too bad, but there were several deep RIDS and the PPF looked terrible for having just been installed. The car had been prepped by the dealer and then washed once by the PPF installer...other than that it had not been washed by the owner and hasn't seen rain or snow yet. For some reason the metal panels were a PITA to correct, products didn't want to wipe off and just acted weird...we tried man different combinations too. The bumper covers and lower rocker panels didn't have this issue, but the clear was much, much harder!

Process:

Wash - ONR
    Wheels - Sonax FE
    Tires - OPC
    Clay - Blackfire clay with Final Inspection as lube
    Initial Correction step - D300/MF on the GG6. M101 on the rockers via GG6 and Cyan LC pads
    Refining step - 106fa via GG6 equipped with black LC pads.
    Jewelling step - PO85RD via Flex PE14 and blue LC pads. (106fa on the DA looked really good and Justin and I agreed the owner would have been more then happy at that point. However, a test spot with PO85RD via rotary made a slight, yet noticeable difference on this paint. I had the car an extra day and some time to kill before Justin came back so me being OCD, I went ahead and did this step on the house)
    Coating prep - ONR wash followed by a good wipe-down with Eraser
    Opti-Guard - Applied using Carpro Micro Suede applicator (All paint, trim, lights, wheels)

Before pics

Some of the deeper RIDS

Swirls in the paint didn't translate too well in the pics...

The swirls in the (brand new) PPF showed up pretty good though...

50/50 on the PPF

Swirls on the rocker panels showed up well too (they were a little worse though)

Rocker corrected

Pulled the car out in the sun after an Eraser wipe-down to check my work and get sun pics while I had a chance. These are prior to Opti-Guard

Me applying the Opti-Guard

Justin followed me leveling off any high spots....the 2 person application is great IMO!

Look how focused he is! :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black 2012 Sonata Hybrid, paint correction and Opti-Guard protection

Finished pics

Brinkmann

PPF

Flash

Thanks for looking,
    Rasky
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

*jaws dropping to the floor*

That's the way black should look like. It just looks so wet. Phenomenal work Chad, as always!!

Since you did an extra PO85RD step, did you charge accordingly? Also, did the eraser wipe-down reduce the gloss since it removes polishing oils?

I'm curious to know what the owner's reaction was like. If that was my car, I'd be ecstatic because it just looks P-E-R-F-E-C-T!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    *jaws dropping to the floor*

That's the way black should look like. It just looks so wet. Phenomenal work Chad, as always!!

Since you did an extra PO85RD step, did you charge accordingly? Also, did the eraser wipe-down reduce the gloss since it removes polishing oils?

I'm curious to know what the owner's reaction was like. If that was my car, I'd be ecstatic because it just looks P-E-R-F-E-C-T!
    Thanks Marc!

The owner was charged for a 2-step correction....the jeweling was just me being OCD. I had time to kill so I didn't mind.

Didn't notice any reduction in gloss after the Eraser.

Owner was very happy...I don't think he's driven it in the last 2 weeks either, LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, especially on such a sharp looking car to begin with! Hell, with as slick as that finish looks, the MPG's will probably go up a couple ticks, LOL!.........."slips through the air!"
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Great job, especially on such a sharp looking car to begin with! Hell, with as slick as that finish looks, the MPG's will probably go up a couple ticks, LOL!.........."slips through the air!"
    LOL! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning. So what is the difference between opti-guard and opti-coat? I assume opti-guard is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigez View Post
    Stunning. So what is the difference between opti-guard and opti-coat? I assume opti-guard is better.
    Opti-Guard is the pro version which is more concentrated. Opti-Coat 2.0 has more solvents in it to allow the user more time to level off the high spots before it cures. Since most pro's have to deliver their clients cars right away, Opti-Guard only needs about an hour to cure, where OC 2.0 should have around 12hrs.

Their properties should be the same, though in theory the OG should lay down a thicker film build and stand up longer against abrasion over time. I have no data to back that theory up with though...

Rasky