autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight sealant: spar urethane vs. opti coat 2.0

Wonder how much you could damage the CC if you did the whole car in a Spar mix
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
    I am in mid western Kansas(Hays), probably 3 or 4 hours west of Manhattan on I-70.

I had no clue that the opti coat would be showing signs of failure already, depending on how long it lasts, it might not be much better than using Klasse for headlight restorations. I don't think optimum made this product for headlight restorations though, its mainly for paint protection. And its got rave reviews from what I have heard on paint. But how long does it last? Supposedly its permanent. I have a few more syringes of opti coat to use, so I might do some durability testing of my own on paint, and see for myself. Here is a question for someone: whats more durable opti coat or c quartz?

Not sure why so many people talk down on the spar treatment, it works for me. Some people just can't wrap their heads around the idea of using wood urethane on headlights, I understand that, but the results speak for themselves. IMO Also, I don't know why some people are having bad luck with it, maybe they are not mixing things up properly, maybe the lens is not prepped right, etc.... I think some problems people are having are not stirring the urethane up enough when they open the can, before they pour it into their mixing cup with the mineral spirits.
    The mixing is certainly a possibility. I had a problem with that myself once when I mixed too much Mineral Spirits and thinned it just a smidg more than I should. It looked great for a few months and then started streaking and wearing off completely. Yikes! I greatly appreciate your efforts. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
    I am in mid western Kansas(Hays), probably 3 or 4 hours west of Manhattan on I-70.

I had no clue that the opti coat would be showing signs of failure already, depending on how long it lasts, it might not be much better than using Klasse for headlight restorations. I don't think optimum made this product for headlight restorations though, its mainly for paint protection. And its got rave reviews from what I have heard on paint. But how long does it last? Supposedly its permanent. I have a few more syringes of opti coat to use, so I might do some durability testing of my own on paint, and see for myself. Here is a question for someone: whats more durable opti coat or c quartz?

Not sure why so many people talk down on the spar treatment, it works for me. Some people just can't wrap their heads around the idea of using wood urethane on headlights, I understand that, but the results speak for themselves. IMO Also, I don't know why some people are having bad luck with it, maybe they are not mixing things up properly, maybe the lens is not prepped right, etc.... I think some problems people are having are not stirring the urethane up enough when they open the can, before they pour it into their mixing cup with the mineral spirits.
    At least I'm hoping thats all it was..........lol

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have gotten over 2 years and counting on my work van headlights, and thats with the polished version spar treatment. No sign of deterioration at all, the van sits outside all year, but gets washed every couple of weeks, and the lights get treated with a wax or paint sealant every 3 or 4 months. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts for 3 years, and isn't there an actual pro headlight clear coat (sprayed on and UV light cured) that someone is using here that only gives it a 3 year guarantee? Or is it 5 year guarantee?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,
    I've been keeping up with this and the really long post (Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea) and have done about 10 sets of lights. Most have been family and friends. I posted a few pics on the longer post.
    I'm looking for some marketing advice.
    I have been mainly doing good old target marketing and leaving flyers and business cards on vehicles that need their lights done.
    Not having too much luck.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gatto5 View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been keeping up with this and the really long post (Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea) and have done about 10 sets of lights. Most have been family and friends. I posted a few pics on the longer post.
    I'm looking for some marketing advice.
    I have been mainly doing good old target marketing and leaving flyers and business cards on vehicles that need their lights done.
    Not having too much luck.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    The only advice I have is to pursue used car dealers. I've done the flyers and leaving business cards with absolutely no luck. Most people NEED for you to explain thoroughly exactly what you do before they will let go of the money. I think that they feel you are charging ?$$$ just to buff them off in 5 minutes, like the commercial on tv, and they don't want to pay for that. I've had way more luck just working at the small used car dealers or approaching people you know and trying to get them to refer you work. I've also heard of people offering to pay past customers a $5 birddog fee for every paying customer they send who actually gets their lights done. It IS a tough business right now because it seems everyone is trying to get into this at a cheaper and cheaper rate. Someone in MY town is doing them for $25 a set!! Unbelieveable!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Part-timer View Post
    Howdy neighbor..........whats the going rate there in O-town? I've recently run into some competition here. Someone running around doing headlights for $25 a set!! I dunno how they can make any money like that, considering the time and effort involved. I'm lucky to have one dealer that loves my work and sticks with me. He told me about the $25 person and how he told them....."No thanks, I've got a guy already"
    Hey there Part-Timer, I am charging $69.99 for Smaller Headlights and $79.99 for Larger Headlights so far I have been doing cars some by word of mouth and I really haven't had a problem getting what I'm asking for I am passing out flyers as well with business cards
    I only hand out flyers to people that I see have pretty bad headlights also trying to give them to people with pretty nice cars and bad looking headlights really haven't had a problem yet.
    I am using the Spar Urethane Method, I just don't like carrying the Quarts with me and having to mix it right where the customer can see it.
    I would like to store the Minwax Spar Urethane and the Mineral Spirits in a different can, But what can to use that wont effect the Urethane from changing?? any thoughts on this would be really helpful

Louie

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Again Part-Timer,

That Quick Fix they sell on TV is really not as good as people think it is, not only that they charged you like an extra 8 bucks for the second bottle and there are a bunch of up-sales to ordering that product so they say 10 bucks plus the 8 dollars shipping fee that's about 20 bucks plus all they other junk they try to sell you, friend of mine tried this and ended up spending close to 30 bucks plus you have to do the work yourself it kinda balances it self out, would much rather have a Pro do it then buying that product.

Good Luck to you guys
    Louie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
    Wonder how much you could damage the CC if you did the whole car in a Spar mix
    Please tell me you're joking. Do you understand that spar urethane is a varnish made for wood? How about not applying it to the rest of your car.

HotRod: Before you applied the Opti-Coat, you had used M205 to polish the headlights as the final step. It has been stated that IPA is not enough to remove the oils that M205 will leave on the surface, maybe this is where the problem is. Usually M205 requires a strong dilution of an APC to remove the oils, IPA may not do it. I question if the Opti-Coat bonded properly to the headlight at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 96Lude View Post
    Please tell me you're joking. Do you understand that spar urethane is a varnish made for wood? How about not applying it to the rest of your car.

HotRod: Before you applied the Opti-Coat, you had used M205 to polish the headlights as the final step. It has been stated that IPA is not enough to remove the oils that M205 will leave on the surface, maybe this is where the problem is. Usually M205 requires a strong dilution of an APC to remove the oils, IPA may not do it. I question if the Opti-Coat bonded properly to the headlight at this point.
    I know its been a while since I did this, but if I remember correctly I used optimum power clean as well to prep the lights along with the IPA, but did not include that in my first post. You could be absolutely right about the oils not being removed, but at this point what should I do, re-do the optimum side? I have never used opti coat before, so maybe it has a learning curve as well.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast