autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wetsand and Buff pictures

I got hit by a buddy of mine in the highschool parking lot and he called me and told me that he had hit me, I was in class at the time and everyone heard me say "YES!" and looked at me weird. They asked why i said that and i said "Chase just hit me in the parking lot-FRESH PAINT!" His ex-stepfather owns a body shop in town, they do decent work but not my bodyshop of choice. Since he was paying for it I figured i'd help him out and take it there so he can get a deal. I got my truck back and it has mountains of orangepeel, it looked like crater in my clear, it wasnt even glossy hardly! So now, 4 months later i just picked up some 2000 3M paper and went to work. I sanded until i could no longer see high spots in the paint, so that all the paint was level. This is my first time wetsanding my own vehicle (GM) and the paint was very hard but easy to work with. I then buffed the sanding scratches with my PC 7424 XP with yellow LC flat 5.5" pad and M105. Then white LC flat 5.5" pad with M205. Then i sealed with A. Quartz reload spray sealant(just until i get around to applying my C. Quartz. BTW the A. Quartz is amazing and is very easy to apply. I used some new cobra MF's i got in my order, they are the super soft with rolled edges, They left NO micro marring in my paint after M205 so it looks perfect, my other cobras did leave marks. Here are some Pictures during the process and after shots. Sorry i didnt get more i was in a crunch for time! Tell me what you think...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wetsand and Buff pictures-photo-7-jpg   Wetsand and Buff pictures-photo-8-jpg   Wetsand and Buff pictures-photo-9-jpg  
    2005 GMC Sierra z71 fully loaded, straight pipes, hypertech programmer, cold air intake, 35" BFG mud terrain Km2's on 2009 Sierra wheels, painted door handles and mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsand and Buff pictures

Looks good to me. Nice job

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! Do you have any pics with the orange peel?

Post Thanks / Like

wow i bet 2000 must have taken a while. if the orange peel is bad i start at 800 and then once its almost level out but you can still see the orange peel i jump to 1000 and then all the orange peel is gone by this time, i then jump to 1500 and finally with 3000. then i go in with a wool pad and m105, orange pad and m105, white pad and m205, black pad and PO85RD. it turns out great, good work! but im sure 2000 took a while!
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Looks crystal clear. I too would love to see pics of the orange peel. Every aftermarket part I have had painted has always come back with awful orange peel... what is it with paint shops these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGT View Post
    Very nice! Looks crystal clear. I too would love to see pics of the orange peel. Every aftermarket part I have had painted has always come back with awful orange peel... what is it with paint shops these days.
    Orange peel is every where. it sucks to see some high end dollar cars come with tons of orange peel off the factory. i hate orange peel and every car ive had ive completely wet sanded it down to absolutely no orange peel. its more pleasant to look at. Its IMPOSSIBLE to shoot clear with no orange peel at all. there are painters that know how to lay down clear so perfect that there is nearly no orange peel. but its always there no matter how perfect you lay it down.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any before pics of the orangepeel im sorry But I had one shop shoot a front fender and the orangepeel on it matched the factory orangepeel perfectly, im not saying factory orangepeel is good, but it wasnt bad for a body shops. The final product is done with sandpaper and a buffer, not a HVLP gun.
    2005 GMC Sierra z71 fully loaded, straight pipes, hypertech programmer, cold air intake, 35" BFG mud terrain Km2's on 2009 Sierra wheels, painted door handles and mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really good. I agree 2000 musta took a while. I usually start at 1200 and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! But I have one question..... How long after the painting did you wait before you buffed and sealed?