autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matt's C-Quartz Durability Update Thread

For wash I've used Megs Gold Class, Sonax, Griots, and P21S. No one wash seems to have an advantage over the other in regards to the coating.

Applying Reload about every 3 washes or so, and no issues with the wipers.

Post Thanks / Like

5 months, 3 days later - It was around 2 months since I last washed my truck. I know, I know...what can I say? I was busy!

With love bugs starting to show up again (wonderful) and daily highway driving, it was covered in bugs, dirt, road grime, etc. In fact, the entire truck was so covered in a film of grime that no part of it was beading water.

I thought CQuartz had finally met its maker, and decided to give the truck an APC wash just to get all the junk off the surface, and hopefully re-coat it this weekend. I reached for the heavy stuff, Detailer's Pro Series Cleanse-All as I didn't want to scrub the paint too hard, and I planned on re-coating anyways.

Well, I began washing the truck and everything was going as planned. The bugs were washing off rather easily, as was all the road grime, brake dust, etc. When I began rinsing, I noticed that every surface on the truck was beading like CRAZY. Wheels, glass, paint, everything. I've never had this happen after using a strong APC and it goes to show how durable this stuff is.

I went ahead and dried the truck and gave her a little ReLoad spray. My truck is now slick again, beads like day one of application, and looks like I spent a whole lot longer than 1 hour on it. Looks like I can go fishing this weekend instead
    Last edited by Matt S.; 09-20-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet. i might do this to our daily driver srx after i get as many swirls out as i comfortably can. its our "nicest" vehicle but rarely gets driven and even less rarely detailed. it sits outside all day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    sweet. i might do this to our daily driver srx after i get as many swirls out as i comfortably can. its our "nicest" vehicle but rarely gets driven and even less rarely detailed. it sits outside all day
    Sounds like a perfect candidate for a coating like this or Opti Coat. I simply don't have the time to detail our cars like I used to, nor do I really enjoy detailing my truck since it's pretty big. Knowing that I can leave bugs on it for a few extra days or weeks, or water spots in direct sunlight without anything getting etched provides some nice peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

matt my SRX has the Ultraview roof which is a few BIG pieces of glass on the roof. is cquartz or OC safe on these surfaces? I know OC specifically states not to use on glass for visibility purposes but the ultraview isnt really used for visibility in daily driving.

every section in the middle is glass. the black sections on each side and the rearmost black section are painted black. the front most middle-section closest to the windshield is also glass

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any issue with it whatsoever. I know Opti Coat 2.0 is not recommended on glass, but I put it on our 2011 Camry's glass anyways...results? Beads like crazy and no issues whatsoever.

As for CQuartz, there is no reason not to use it on glass. Hell, I even put it on my mud flaps and they bead like mad. I really like having it on my windows, and especially like using Reload on them. Much better than RainX.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody uses OC 2.0 on glass (don't tell Dr. G I said that!!), and if you distorted that "sun roof" the worst thing that could happen is you might not realize that light plane above you is a State Police speed-tracking aircraft...

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, the truck looks great and I think the combination of products you've used is working out rather nicely!

A quality sealant over these new coatings appears to be a death sentence to all the nice detailing supplies I have though...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

subscribed
    Ryan Gville,LA

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 6 month update on the way. Just waiting for my new computer to get here so I can edit the video from my camera! Should have this up middle of this week...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast