autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New wheels and tires

Ok so flash back to 3 nights ago. I'm driving home on the freeway with my GF and BAM! I nail a giant pothole (shocking to see those in Minnesota.... sarcasm). My front left wheels hubcap flies off and I see the driver behind me swerve out of the way. I get home and check out my wheel right away. Bent the crap out of my steely and my tire has a massive bubble going down the entire sidewall.

So yesterday after work I went to get some new tires. Oh the joys of having 5 and 6/32nd tread left on an all wheel drive vehicle. Still plenty of tread left but will throw off the balance of my car, awesome right? So I drop some cash on some new tires. I got some Continental ExtremeContact DWS. $110 compared to my stock OEM Potenzas that run a ridiculous $230/each.

Also, a couple weeks ago I bought some new (to me) 2000 Outback alloy wheels off a guy. So I had them mounted and took off my steelies.

On to pictures.

Before, my steely with rust spots. Crazy good looking huh?

New wheels:

Mounted with new tires:

I put a single layer of DP Tire Gel on using a Cobra applicator:

I also touched up my rubber trim. After this brutally long and cold winter my rubber was in need. I used Einszett Gummi Pflege.

Before:

50/50:

After:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New wheels and tires

Hey, a wheel and tire upgrade isn't necessarily a bad thing

I recently had to replace my tires as well, what a pain in the wallet.

Great looking weather stripping by the way, Pflege works wonders!
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
    Hey, a wheel and tire upgrade isn't necessarily a bad thing

I recently had to replace my tires as well, what a pain in the wallet.

Great looking weather stripping by the way, Pflege works wonders!
    Thanks man! Yeah I love the Gummi Pflege. Seems like the bottle/stick i've had has lasted forever too.

What tires did you get? These DWS handle awesome. Soft sidewalls though, but that's ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fancyfootwork View Post
    Thanks man! Yeah I love the Gummi Pflege. Seems like the bottle/stick i've had has lasted forever too.

What tires did you get? These DWS handle awesome. Soft sidewalls though, but that's ok.

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110s. They're really impressing me so far. Extremely quiet ride and great grip. They are soft also but that's where the grip comes from
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,

No one wants to see wheels and tires destroyed but accidents do happen especially during these months.

New wheels and tires on any car or truck make a huge improvement in looks and handing so put the past behind you and DO NOT hit any more of those pot holes...

Nice upgrade!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you guys are looking at tirerack before opening your wallets. And $230 for an all season potenza? My STi tires never cost that much! I paid less than $200 a tire for Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 on my STI. Would recommend putting a coat of well sealant on those new-to-you wheels. Polish them up first then seal them with a wheel specific sealant. I just started using the PB's sealant and am very happy with it. And keep the front pressure up about 2psi over the oem recommendation. It will help handling and reduce the tread wear on the outer tread. Don't increase the rear. I would leave them at oem spec psi if not a little lower. And rotate every oil change or sooner to keep the wear even. I always rotated on the STi every 3000-4000 if not sooner depending how the fronts were wearing. I drove it hard though, so I was always checking tires for wear and pressures. Good luck with the new wheels, and watch out for the potholes.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Hope you guys are looking at tirerack before opening your wallets. And $230 for an all season potenza? My STi tires never cost that much! I paid less than $200 a tire for Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 on my STI. Would recommend putting a coat of well sealant on those new-to-you wheels. Polish them up first then seal them with a wheel specific sealant. I just started using the PB's sealant and am very happy with it. And keep the front pressure up about 2psi over the oem recommendation. It will help handling and reduce the tread wear on the outer tread. Don't increase the rear. I would leave them at oem spec psi if not a little lower. And rotate every oil change or sooner to keep the wear even. I always rotated on the STi every 3000-4000 if not sooner depending how the fronts were wearing. I drove it hard though, so I was always checking tires for wear and pressures. Good luck with the new wheels, and watch out for the potholes.
    Thanks dude. Yeah, I was thinking about adjusting psi.

Bridgestone Potenza RE92A

205/55R16 89V $237.00EA

As for the wheels. I was originally going to sand and paint them either white or gunmetal, but then I nailed this pothole and decided to just mount them as is. I feel they look good and I like them so I may just keep them how they are.

According to the manager at Discount Tire. Those Potenzas are OEM spec for my model/year Impreza and are made for that car which is why they cost so much. Go figure right?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and the Potenzas don't perform that great for the money, so go fig again. I had Kumho AST's on the STi and the lasted over 30k and the only complaint I had was that the tread design made them tram-line; which was probably more noticeable on AWD. I feel a little better if you got your Conti's from Discount. I hate hearing about people paying for tires at local stores and paying nearly $1000 for a set of 4 M/B. Between detailing and tires I don't know which I am more OCD over.?. I would stick to the silver wheels for now. Gives the subie a nice clean look and they are easier to keep clean than anything you paint yourself. If you want to try the PB wheel sealant PM me. I bought the 32oz tub of it when it was the VIP sale. So I won't be running out anytime soon.lol
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very sporty now

Congrats on bangin up your steel wheel

How do we know you didn't do this on purpose
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fancyfootwork View Post
    Thanks dude. Yeah, I was thinking about adjusting psi.

Bridgestone Potenza RE92A

205/55R16 89V $237.00EA

As for the wheels. I was originally going to sand and paint them either white or gunmetal, but then I nailed this pothole and decided to just mount them as is. I feel they look good and I like them so I may just keep them how they are.

According to the manager at Discount Tire. Those Potenzas are OEM spec for my model/year Impreza and are made for that car which is why they cost so much. Go figure right?
    Yeah, and the 215/45ZR18 is the "cheapest" of all the sizes.?... Makes no sense. Hence why I will not be buying Bridgestones anytime soon. Think I may stick with Generals for a while. They have some good tires being made by a German company. Got the General Altimax Arctic for my S10 and could make them spin in the snow(with a V6). Were cheaper than the Continentals and tested as well if not better than them. Was a tough chose though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast