autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Suburban Paint Correction using Optimum Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish

Last month my neighbor asked me if I could buff out his Suburban and get the paint looking good again. He did not want a full detail. He only wanted the exterior paint worked on.

After it was washed I took some pictures to show the general condition of the vehicle. There was a lot of swirls and random scratches throughout the entire vehicle.

Next I pulled it into the garage and set up my halogen lights to start inspecting the paint surface.

As you can see here the hood is black and does not match the color of the rest of the vehicle. He hit a deer last year and bought a used hood from the junk yard as a replacement. You can also see the hood has extreme swirling and holograms. This was the worst panel of the entire vehicle. In addition to the swirls and holograms I could feel heavy overspray on all of the horizontal surfaces and moderate overspray on the vertical panels on the entire vehicle. He has been rebuilding an early 60’s Volvo in his garage and despite him pulling the Suburban out of the garage during painting, obviously some paint overspray made it to his suburban. So I clayed the entire vehicle with Meguiar’s blue mild clay and Last touch 1:1.

After I finished claying I wanted to do a test spot on the hood. I was running low on M105 so I decided to use the Optimum Hyper Compound and Optimum Hyper Polish that I received from Autogeek back in August. So I started my test spot with my PC7424XP Lake Country orange flat pad and Optimum Hyper Compound followed up by Lake Country white flat pad and Optimum Hyper Polish.

Considering this was a junk yard hood with poor paint condition I think the test spot turned out pretty good, so I continued with the same process on the rest of the hood and then pulled the vehicle outside to take an after shot of the hood.

I pulled the vehicle back into the garage and began the same process of compounding with Optimum Hyper Compound followed by polishing with Optimum Hyper Polish to the rest of the vehicle.

I started with the front driver side fender. You can see the difference between the polished fender and the untouched driver door.

Close up.

And the finished fender.

Drivers side door before.

Drivers side door after

Passenger side rear door polished next to the untouched passenger side front door.

Both passenger front and rear doors finished.

The metallic really popped now.

After I was done polishing the entire vehicle I cleaned the glass with Meguiar’s Detailer Line glass cleaner, machine applied a coat of Meguiar’s #26 High Tech Yellow Wax with my PC and Meguiar’s W9006 Soft buff foam finishing pad and then dressed the tires with Poorboy’s Bold N Bright.

Here is the finished product.

I then pulled the vehicle outside for some shots before my neighbor came over to pick it up. It was getting late and the sun was already setting, so no sun shots.

Overall it came out pretty nice and my neighbor was extremely happy, which is the important part.

Thanks for looking.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suburban Paint Correction using Optimum Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish

That color really transforms when polished. My bro in laws pick up is the same color, when I polished it they about crapped at how much better it looked. My sis in law never liked the color before that, now she loves it.

Post Thanks / Like

great job! Thing looks great now!

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done!
    Brian Fowler, Hernando, FL
    2008 Mustang Pony Package

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job on that beast of a vehicle. I really need to get me some hyper compound and polish to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job...I've been hearing complaints about the cheap spray nozzles on the 2 Optimum products you used. That is the primary reason why I have not gone the spray route. Have they improved on that..?...
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    Excellent job on that beast of a vehicle. I really need to get me some hyper compound and polish to try.
    Nice save. I also am going to have to try this stuff one day. Especially considering Optimum Warehouse is like 5 miles from me
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    great job! Thing looks great now!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonoPed View Post
    Nicely done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    Excellent job on that beast of a vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Great job...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nice save.
    Thanks guy's.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I've been hearing complaints about the cheap spray nozzles on the 2 Optimum products you used. That is the primary reason why I have not gone the spray route. Have they improved on that..?...
    The sprayers was my only complaint when using these two products. The idea of a sprayable product is nice, but the sprayers did not work that great for me. Plus they were kind of messy when using a full spray on a small 5.5" pad.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    That color really transforms when polished.

I Agree.
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast