autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailed: 2003 Aspen Green Camry

Hello all,

Two weeks ago I detailed my mom's expedition and learned how to use my new PC/ Optimum Polish/Compound kit that I bought from autogeek.

I felt like I did an okay job on that car. But the main reason why I bought the PC was to get the swirl marks out from the previous owner. Aparently he was an old man, and I'm sure that they came from the swirl-o-matics. There wasn't a huge amount of swirls, but it seemed like they were pretty deep. The trunk lid was the worst, so that is where I spent most of my time.

Since buying the car, I have alwayed washed with the two-bucket system, lambskin mitts, and dried with microfiber towels... though I'm sure I did create some of the swirls, most of them werre from previous owners.

Up until this point, I have used liquid NXT as my LSP and have been very satisified. However I wanted to step it up a notch. I did decide to go with Zaino as my LSP, but there are many great products out of AutoGeek that would have done just as well such as Duragloss and DP Shield Shine.

Products Used
    Dawn wash
    Zaino Z18 claybar
    PC 7424
    Optimum polish
    Optimum Compound
    Wolfgang orange cutting pad
    Wolfgang small profile orange cutting pad
    Zaino Z6
    Zaino ZFX
    Zaino Z5 pro
    Zaino Z2 pro
    Zaino Z8
    Top Of The Line High temp tire cleaner
    Amor all Extreme Tire shine Gel
    Chemical guys VRT
    Stoner invisible glass

The Mission
    To get the swirls off of my trunk lid so that everytime I'm in the parking garage at school I'm not ebarrassed looking at the reflection of the bright halogens above

The Results
    I suck at this.

Same as the Expedition, so this is basically a cut and paste.
    The Process
    Fill a main bucket with dawn and water
    fill a secondary bucket with fresh water for rinsing
    Wash the wheels using a designated microfiber(re) towel
    Wash the tires using a tire brush, doused in the dawn water, and topped with Bon Ami (bars aid)
    Empty said buckets and refill with same materials
    Wash the car completely using a MF mit [for more bite than a lambswool]
    While washing, before rinsing, clay the car with z18
    Dry the car by first, blowing it with a leaf blower, and then using MF towels and the chase method.
    After drying, spot check with clay, using a 16oz spray bottle filled with distiled water and 2/3 a cap full of Zaino Z7 car wash.

Examine the car for any abnomalties and break out the PC.
    Apply Optimum polish or Compound in a circle around the wolfgang orange cutting pad.
    Spread polish on panel while turned off
    turn on PC on speed 3 to work the polish in.
    Turn PC to speed 5.5 and start polishing.
    Move PC in a switchback pattern moving at about 1/2 to 1 inch per second.
    After worked in completely, examine. If saticfied, move on.
    Continue this method, periodically moving the car in and out of the garage to see if I am doing anything. (looking at the sun through the finish.

When done polishing,
    QD the car using Zaino Z6 spray.
    Create my Z5 pro concoction using the provided 2 ounce bottles, fill botlle 2/3s full, put 6 drops of ZFX, and 1 spray of Z8.
    Apply to car using vertical storkes on all panels, and horizontal strokes on hood.
    Apply z5 to wheels.
    Let dry for 30 minutes, and then buff.
    again, QD the car using Z6 and prepare for a second coat.
    Apply second coat, including wheels.
    Again wait 30 minutes, and buff.
    again, QD the truck using z6.
    prepare Zaino Z2 pro concoction using the same method as for Z5p in a diferent bottle.
    Apply using the same method as Z5p.
    Wait 30-40 minutes, and buff using a PC with microfiber[re] cover.
    Apply a final coat of Zaino Z8 show car seal and gawk at your work.

Apply Chemical Guys VRT to all Vinyl, rubber, and (optionally) tires (VRT).
    Opt to apply Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel to tires.

Vacuum all interior carpets

gawk at your work and pat yourself on the back for suffering through the arm pains.

and I also applied the zaino to everything, including windows. (z5p x2, z2p x2)
    Objects Learned
    • I had a really difficult time getting rid of the swirls... It took me 2 hours on the hood before I found a method that would get rid of them effectively.
    • this toyotas paint was really hard
    • I again was really impressed with Chemical Guys VRT... I think that is the only product I am proud of... everything else seems like there are a billion others just like it.
    • buying 2 black LC pads was a waste of money. It ate all the zaino I had porportioned for 2 coats and didn't even apply 1 coat... it was exremely uneven in applying. after it hazed and I buffed it out, (since it was the first coat) I could run the back of my hand across the paint and feel the lanes of wax, so there were waxed areas and unwaxed areas.. unacceptable. After one coat of trying with the PC I went back to a normal cotton applicator. Now I have two worthless black LC pads.
    • More Optimum compound is better than to little OP when it comes to effectiveness.

Because this was my car, I wanted to make it as near perfect as possible. Due the the fact I was scared to polish to much, I decided to be happy with about 90% of the swirls removed, which was a great feat for me.

I started on the hood using optimum Polish, and the 6.5 wolfgang orange pad, but it didn't touch anything... there was no improvment in the swirls on the hood.. So I moved to Optimum compound and the 6.5 and still really didn't do anything.. .After I started using the 5" orange wolfgang pad, I started noticing a difference with OC. But it still took me another hour until I figured out how to work it properly.

It took me 3 passes (three complete applications) before I got the hood to an acceptable level of unswirlyness.

But on the trunk lid, I worked out a method that I used on the rest of the car...

• Apply about a half dollar size amount of OC to the pad.
    • spread compound on section with the PC off
    • Turn the PC on 3 and spread fairly evenly
    • turn the PC on 6 and go over it fairly quickly (2 inchs a second or so)
    • Turn the PC down to 4 and work very slowly with a lot of pressure. (.5 to 1 inch a second)
    • After doing 4 for about 3-4 minutes, turn the PC up to 5 and repeat.
    • Finish off using 6 and again fairly quickly, but still working it in
    • buff

That was the only way I got it to an acceptable level in 1 pass.

Conclusion
    I suck at this... so much work, in so much time, and only getting it "acceptable." No-one but me will notice what was left behind so it doesn't really matter, but I will still notice.
    I was also dissapointed that it took me freaking 11 and 1/2 hours AGAIN. I started at 9, and pulled into the garage at 9. (last buff out of z2 was at 1:30 )

Overall, I did okay. I enjoyed it... it's a camry so no-one gives a crap anyways.

Thank you autopia/autogeek for teaching me everything I know.

Now, on to the pictures.

More dirty than normal, I had just gone through a week in atlanta of 3 days of raining... so a lot of road kick up.

swirl marks

Interior

Beading from NXT

After Wash

After ONLY TOL HT-tire cleaner(good product)

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't take any after pictures of the panels swirl mark less, because there was no sun.

After 1 pass of OC w/ orange cutting pad

I am absolutely terrified of cleaning my engine bay... expecially spraying water in there. So I just did a quick wipe down to get rid of dust, and then applied Chemical Guys VRT to all the hoses and black peices... came out better than I was expecting

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can tell from the last picture, I couldn't get a picture of the finished product that night.. But now 2 days later( it rained the past two days) I finally have a couple... Sorry about them being crappy... I didn't realize my camera was on a high iso, and under exposure mode... oh well.. I will try to take better ones later.

Thanks to all who have looked... Please leave a comment, good or bad!
    Last edited by Frugle; 11-13-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][I suck at this... so much work, in so much time, and only getting it "acceptable." /QUOTE]

Yeah right!!!!!!! I saw the Ford Expedition detail too, if you suck in detailing i probably should go back to Bucket, spunge and turtle. then theres no hope for me..........
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work and right up!

I'm trying to detail cars on the side but I too need to figure out how to do it a lot quicker to make it worth the money.

I guess the more money I make the better the products/tools I will be able to purchase to help cut that time down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, what a write up, my eyes are hurting! LOL Great job. The floor mats HeHeHe nice. Oh what has Justin started?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Dang, what a write up, my eyes are hurting! LOL Great job. The floor mats HeHeHe nice. Oh what has Justin started?
    hehehehehehe Gives WWJD a whole new meaning! The pics look great to me! Whatever it was that is disappointing you I couldn't see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaNative
    hehehehehehe Gives WWJD a whole new meaning! The pics look great to me! Whatever it was that is disappointing you I couldn't see it.
    All the writing! I was just going on!

Post Thanks / Like
    All the writing! I was just going on!
    Once I was listening to a spanish radio station and they had this McDonalds commercial where 3 guys are looking at the new menu trying to figure out what to order and the one friend is asking the other, "man, there's so many choices! I don't know what to do." So the other friend says, "whenever I'm faced with a difficult choice I always ask , "what would Jesus do?" so the friend says, "good idea! Hey Jesus, what would you order?" And the third friend named Jesus, says, "get the fish sandwich" I cracked up! It sounds alot funnier in Spanish though! lol No English speaking people name their kids Jesus. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! acutally I've been doing the floor mats like that since before I got into detailing I think my dad got me into it when teaching me how to vacuum, but I don't remember.. but yeah, it looks good!

Oh, as for what I'm dissapointed in, there isn't any sun in the pictures so you can't see it.. a lot of the eech is taken out by the photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast