autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Critical Details: 2003 Honda Civic SI

Some general vehicle pictures showing the vehicles contamination and paints swirls that have been acquired over the years from washing with substandard towels.

First Optimum Power Clean was applied to the engine left to dwell before rinsing off. The engine covers and hoses were dressed with Lexol Vynilex. In addition all the exterior weather seals were cleaned and dressed as well.

Then Optimum Power Clean was applied to the tires, wheels and wheel wells to remove break dust and all other contamination. Using an all-purpose cleaner like OPC is safer than most over the counter wheel cleaners. These wheel cleaners can cause paint damage and damage to the wheels if left on for too long while cleaning.

After the tires and wheels had been proper cleaned i proceeded to dress the tire and seal the wheel. Lexol Vynilex was applied to the tires providing a deep reflective shine while providing UV protection. Detailing clay was used on the rims to remove any remaining contaminants before sealing the wheels. Then 2 coats of Poor Boy’s Wheel Sealant was applied to the wheels providing protection from break dust, water spots and road debris.

The exhaust was clayed and polished using a drill and wire wheel drill attachments. Following this the exhaust received a final polish with 0000 steel wool followed by Eagle One Never Dull Wadding Polish.

First Optimum Power Clean was applied to the paint and windows to help remove the bugs and other debris safely. After rinsing off the vehicle off the paint and windows were clayed using Wolfgang Poly Elastic Clay. Detailing clay removes brake dust, rail dust, organic contaminants, environmental pollution and water spots that are not removed with regular washing. Detailers Pride Rinse less Wash And Gloss mixed with distilled water was used as clay lubricant. Here is a picture of how much contamination was removed from one vehicle body panel.

After the vehicle was clayed it was washed with Detailers Pride Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo using a Foam Master Foam Gun and 2 wash buckets equipped with Grit Guards. It is important to have 2 wash buckets and grit guards to help release debris from the wash mitt or sponge. One bucket to rinse the wash media in and one bucket to reload it with auto shampoo this method virtually eliminates the chance of washed induced swirls. After the paint was dry it was polished with Menzerna Intensive Polish using a Lake Country orange pad. Menzerna Final Polish was then applied using a Lake Country White Pad. Plenty of swirl marks and the lack of reflection in the before polishing pictures. All paint correction was done using the Porter Cable 7424 XP on speed 5 using 4 and 6.5 inch buffing pads.

After polishing the paint was wiped down with a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water mixture. Then Klasse all In One Polish was applied and buffed off. Leaving a smooth and contaminant free surface for the Klasse High Gloss Sealant to bond to. After the Klasse High Gloss Sealant had cured it was buffed off and topped with Pinnacle Souvearn Liquid carnauba wax.

The interior was vacuumed with a industrial Shop Vac then cleaned with Detailers Pride Carpet And Upholstery Cleaner. The carpet, Floor mats and Seats where power scrubbed with the Porter Cable 7424 XP upholstery brushes. All interior trim was dress with Vinylex and steering wheel leather dressed with Lexol Leather Conditioner.

The spare tire was cleaned using Optimum Power Clean and dressed with Lexol Vinylex. While the tool pouch was gently cleaned using Lexol PH balanced Leather Cleaner and protected with Lexol Leather Conditioner

Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critical Details: 2003 Honda Civic SI

Very nice. Thanks for the write-up and pictures.

That is a lot of attention to detail when you even shine up the hidden spare tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on that EP3... mine is that lovely EuroYellowPearl color....not quite as nice as that blue. You went over and above with that detail.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pricha00 View Post
    Nice job on that EP3... mine is that lovely EuroYellowPearl color....not quite as nice as that blue. You went over and above with that detail.

Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    Very nice. Thanks for the write-up and pictures. That is a lot of attention to detail when you even shine up the hidden spare tire.

Thank you, I am glad that you enjoyed my vehicle write up. The owner of the Civic wanted it spotless and they where even surprised with the end result.

Pricha00 have you had any luck with restoring the side bolster on EP3 civic seats? The driver side was heavily worn and i had a hard time making it look new again.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

My car has only a little extra wear in that area. Original owners were older couple who really babied the car. I know it is a common issue, I believe the actual seat covers can be purchased from Honda. They have a zipper in the back to be replaceable. Not cheap but it is an option. What did you do to the striker plate, wire wheel?? Did you remove to do it?

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pricha00 View Post
    What did you do to the striker plate, wire wheel?? Did you remove to do it? Pat.
    Actually they where in great condition with minimal oxidation and no rust. I lightly cleaned and polished them using Eagle Never Dull metal polish. Removing the striker plates for polishing had never crossed my mind, it is an excellent suggestion. Looks like I have a new project for my Jeep ZJ, its striker plates are in rough condition.
    Last edited by CriticalDetails; 06-14-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden