autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile My 1997 Nitro Bass Boat

First Off I would like to thank Mike Phillips as he gave me the positive thinking i could do this and offered wonderful advice on how to get it done.

Thanks Mike--Hope these photos show what a True NEWBIE can do--

Now Mind all you--I am not a detailer, I came here looking for information and the know how to accomplish the ability to turn my Heavily oxidized Boat into a new --show room new Boat. I work 12 hours shifts in a hospital and work with Patients all day long--so my profession is no where near a detailer. So please go easy on me as I did the Best I could.

With blood , sweat and some tears--here is my 1997 Nitro Bass Boat that I think came out pretty good. It took a total of three days or more i lost count--- to do as I had to work on it during my off hours from the hospital. Also when you work from 7p-7a and wake up around 2pm and work from then till its time to go to work again that night doesnt give me much time in between.

Nevertheless here goes.......

The Process....

1. Washed the boat in simple dish soap and water and dryed the boat and then pulled it into my garage.
    2. This is a new to me boat and was not taken care of as far as the environment goes, so it sat quite a few years in the sun and had taken a beating from the UV rays and it shows in some of these pics. BTW, I bought a cover for it --so when i got done with it i could at leat cover it and try and protect it from the sun.

As you can see the boat is so heavily oxidized that I could barely do anything with it. At this point I didnt even own a PC 7424 or a Rotary Buffer. I knew nothing until i came here and found all this information from Autogeekonline.net/forums. I read and read and when i was tired i just kept reading. I found alot of the video tutorials here and on youtube to be very helpful.

3. I purchased a PC 7424 and some pads on ebay for a nice price. I also Purchased the Duragloss 501 and tried for a day on taking out this oxidation but to no avail. The DG wouldn't touch it...

4. Well you know what that meant--time for wet sanding and wetsanding i will have to admit was not fun..here are some pics of my wetsanding attempts.

Started with 1000, then moved up to 2000 and finished with 4000.

Awe the good ole days of wet sanding --if i never see another piece of sandpaper again That would be just fine by me. HAHAHAHA

5. I purchased some Meguiars #4 and tried to buff the boat out with a PC 7424 and it looked ok but with halogen lighting you could see the swirl marks. So it was time to buy a Rotary buffer and no i didnt go crazy on one and spend a fortune--call me cheap but I found a nice 7" at my local Harbor Frieght for a good price. It worked and it had all the settings i could ask for.

Ok back to the boat with a 7" lambswool pad and the rotary buffer and some Meguiars #4. Man that boat just took off from there.

6. Purchased some Meguiars #3 to polish the boat and then Finished the boat with a PC 7424 and some Collinite #845--two coats.

Now take a LOOK SEE !!!!!!!

Now to just buy some new decals and re-carpet the boat and it will look brand new---Again thanks to all that helped with this project and especially to Mike for the incentive to get er done. I am no Pro so please understand this is my very first time so go easy on me..

Last edited by discoverypro; 10-10-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Mike Phillips

Re: My 1997 Nitro Bass Boat

Wow!

Incredible difference! Very nice work.

It's always rewarding to have someone take the time to share their results after all the hard work is done. I completely understand how much time and work it is to buff out a boat or a car or anything and while doing it STOP, put down the buffer, find the camera and take some pictures. Then later, process the pictures and upload them and insert them into a write-up like this.

For this reason I always try to say thank you to the people that take their time that they could be watching TV and share their results with our forum.

Thank you.

Okay, now that you're an expert... how about heading over here to Stuart, Florida and giving my a hand with my extreme makeover boat project?

Again, nice work!

One problem... the boat's so shiny, the fish will see you coming from miles away!

Post Thanks / Like

It looks great
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Discoverypro. I followed your progress through your previous posts/questions and I'm glad you stuck with it. That is one sharp looking boat and now you get to enjoy the pride that comes from doing it yourself.
    Thanks for sharing
    Craig

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys,

It was hard work but well worth it to say i did it myself. but I sure couldn't do it without all your help here at the forums. I hate to think about re-carpeting (again no experience in that either) but I think i can do it. If you can read ---you can pretty much do anything you put your mind too.

Again Thanks Mike and to the Crew here at Autogeekonline--your the Best when it comes to detailing. oh and Mike --good luck with the Boat--as yours looks to be twice the work with more paint to cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That boat looks amazing! AWESOME JOB!!! you really put in some HARD WORK on it!!!