autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 47 of 142 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797 ... LastLast
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Quote Originally Posted by reggie1967 View Post
    i have went as far 220 on most cars
    Hey Reggie whats up, didn't you call me like 4 or 5 months ago or so when you were first starting out on this? How are things goin?
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Lowest i've gone is 320 and that was on a really bad pair...wasn't super yellow..just super thick coating and the 500 wasn't cutting in. On the norm i'll do 500/800/1500 compound or 3000, whichever floats your boat. Everyone is talking about 3000 being the cats meow now so...i might do a set and finish with 3000 and go to seal and see how it looks. I think i only have sheet paper at 3000, no discs...but hell i had hands way before i had machines lol. So no biggie.

I'd say 320 though is the lowest you should have to go..just keep your sandpaper clean and wipe the dust off the light so that way you're not just spreading the dust around and THINKING your getting a cut (been there done that). Also if you do the harshest cut wet...i'd think it would help some because the water would rise away most of what you've sanded off..and then if you have a bucket of clean water you can just clean your sandpaper in it and keep it movin!
    Thanks for the tip! Ya i only wet sand, i tried dry sanding and it clogged up my sandpaper way too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie1967 View Post
    i have went as far 220 on most cars
    Are you guys all sanding in 1 direction? Or up and down for xgrit and then left to right on xgrit?

Everytime i finish a car, it looks reallyy good from a foot or 2 away, but if you look really close, there are still some visable scratches. I'm going up to 1500 and then buffing with turtle wax pro grade compound. Ive also tried going up to 3000 but i get the same results. maybe im not spending enough time on 800-1000...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuman95 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Ya i only wet sand, i tried dry sanding and it clogged up my sandpaper way too fast.

Are you guys all sanding in 1 direction? Or up and down for xgrit and then left to right on xgrit?

Everytime i finish a car, it looks reallyy good from a foot or 2 away, but if you look really close, there are still some visable scratches. I'm going up to 1500 and then buffing with turtle wax pro grade compound. Ive also tried going up to 3000 but i get the same results. maybe im not spending enough time on 800-1000...?
    what grit are you starting with when you see these visible scratches? you should get Meguiars ultimate compound.... alot better than the whole turtle wax line.
    Hi !

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah id guess if the scratches are really visable, they are from the 320 or 500 grit paper....usually 1500 or 3000 grit will just look like a haze not an actual scratch from what ive seen. So yeah work your 800 and 1000 a little more i think and then you should come out a little smoother. And like many of us have said, Ultimate compound...works much better. But i wouldn't worry yourself to death if you only have a few little scratches left....but if you want to get rid of them then thats the way to do it
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    what grit are you starting with when you see these visible scratches? you should get Meguiars ultimate compound.... alot better than the whole turtle wax line.
    im starting with 400. will give Meguiar's a whirl on my next job. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Yeah id guess if the scratches are really visable, they are from the 320 or 500 grit paper....usually 1500 or 3000 grit will just look like a haze not an actual scratch from what ive seen. So yeah work your 800 and 1000 a little more i think and then you should come out a little smoother. And like many of us have said, Ultimate compound...works much better. But i wouldn't worry yourself to death if you only have a few little scratches left....but if you want to get rid of them then thats the way to do it
    I spent some more time on 800 and 1000 on a set today and they looked a ton better. Guess i wasn't spending enough time. again, thanks for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

im starting with 400. will give Meguiar's a whirl on my next job. thanks!

I spent some more time on 800 and 1000 on a set today and they looked a ton better. Guess i wasn't spending enough time. again, thanks for the help guys!
    your welcome buddy! look at your local advance auto parts, some carry Meguiars m105 and m205. Trust me, once you lay your hands on m105 or m205, you are gonna fall in love.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    your welcome buddy! look at your local advance auto parts, some carry Meguiars m105 and m205. Trust me, once you lay your hands on m105 or m205, you are gonna fall in love.
    I wish i had an advanced auto parts around here! Luckily the detailing.com store front is 30min from here. i could use a few things.

I ran into another problem. The shop towel is leaving tiny little specs of residue. They look like little specs of dust but their not. Are you guys drenching the towel? I've been squirting the sealant directly onto the towel but i think it may be soaking too much of it up....

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of 3000 sandpaper you y'all use? I went looking for some yesterday and all I could find was a 6" 3M Trizact pad. Is that the only way it comes, or do they make 3000 that is actually like a "paper" (like the lower grit papers)?
    Robert

"Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rewind97 View Post
    What kind of 3000 sandpaper you y'all use? I went looking for some yesterday and all I could find was a 6" 3M Trizact pad. Is that the only way it comes, or do they make 3000 that is actually like a "paper" (like the lower grit papers)?
    You can use the Meguiar's Unigrit paper, they make it in grits up to 3000.

Post Thanks / Like

hey what up have you seen this website go to Home
    they offer a produce that has a money back gurantee and a video on it
    i've try it and it great.They also offer sale tips, I've made some real nice extra cash with this just on the weekend

Page 47 of 142 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797 ... LastLast