autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1420
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Quote Originally Posted by Siwalsh06 View Post
    Hey guys i hope someone can answer me soon. I saw this post and decided to try it. My headlights were wet sanded and buffed n polished about r months ago didnt seal them with anything. Well they are already cloudy. So i found this post and gave it a try. I compounded and polsihed the headlights then applied the mixture. Came out great. Well this morning after the dew wore off the headlights they looked horrible. Really streaky. I dont understand why. What did i do wrong? During the day after i applied it the streaks disappered and the headlight looked great. Not its crap. I was able to rub it all off this morning with just a microfiber towel and some pressure. I mixed the stuff in those lil dixie cups. Idk if thts makes a difference. I read something about them on one of the pages. But can anyone help?
    Was the cup you mixed it in paper or plastic. The paper ones have a wax coating on them that may have been dissolved and mixed in with your product.

Another thing if you are using the Spar method, do not compound or polish after sanding. The urethane needs some roughness to hold on to. It should fill the sanding scratches and leave them unnoticeable.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Was the cup you mixed it in paper or plastic. The paper ones have a wax coating on them that may have been dissolved and mixed in with your product.

Another thing if you are using the Spar method, do not compound or polish after sanding. The urethane needs some roughness to hold on to. It should fill the sanding scratches and leave them unnoticeable.
    Yes it was a paper cup. I got plastic ones now. And so your saying just went sand it. Then wipe it down with either alcohol or the mineral spirits. Then apply the mixture? No need to buff compound on it? Or buff polish on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, just sand.

If you compound and/or polish the surface will be too smooth. It will be more likely to flake or peel off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, just sand.

If you compound and/or polish the surface will be too smooth. It will be more likely to flake or peel off.
    Ah ok so thts why my headlights turned out like that then bc it had nothinf to grab to. Well since my headlights are already clean shoukd i just sand mine with like 2000? And then use rhe spar mix?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok so thts why my headlights turned out like that then bc it had nothinf to grab to. Well since my headlights are already clean shoukd i just sand mine with like 2000? And then use rhe spar mix?
    Be sure to wipe down with IPA before coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Be sure to wipe down with IPA before coating.
    Yeah i do. I also heard yu can usr the mineral spirts to wipe it down to

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a painter and I'm not totally positive on what grit would give you the best combination of adhesion and clarity. I'm pretty sure it's discussed somewhere in this thread.

I think around 1000 would work well. Fine enough to be easily concealed, but rough enough to give it some bite.

I use spar urethane on wood working projects and sand with either 220, or 400 grit between coats. I am using it straight though.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a painter and I'm not totally positive on what grit would give you the best combination of adhesion and clarity. I'm pretty sure it's discussed somewhere in this thread.

I think around 1000 would work well. Fine enough to be easily concealed, but rough enough to give it some bite.

I use spar urethane on wood working projects and sand with either 220, or 400 grit between coats. I am using it straight though.
    Ill just drop down to a 1000, 1500, an 2000 on mine bc ima have to get tht stuff off now and then use the urethane

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So i started with 800 just to get the old uv off. Then went to 1500 then 3000. Didntt have 2000. And i just did a quick pass on 3000. After that i wiped it down with IAP and then the spar mixture. It is clear for sure but im mot sure if its the scratches i can see or if its the lines from the uv. Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea-20170112_100454-jpgHeadlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea-20170112_100457-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of the yacht varnish. Can you mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits?
    I just checked the U.S. price on Amazon, Wow! $65.00 a can. It has to be cheaper somewhere else.

Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast