autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

are you now using the microfiber towels for applying the material??
    DC5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by id-type-s View Post
    are you now using the microfiber towels for applying the material??
    No, I am still using the blue shop rag applicator. Microfiber would probably streak too much. I was just using the microfiber rags to wipe off the lens while wet sanding and polishing. I have tried a foam applicator, but I still like the blue shop rag.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my go at it on two different cars, a very neglected Mercury Grand Marquis and a 3-4 yr old Jetta.

Supplies:
    -600 grit sandpaper
    -1000 grit sandpaper
    -Spray bottle w/ water for wet sanding
    -Mother's Powerball (smaller red one, all I had at the time, IMO the Powerball lacks cut and an orange buffing pad would work better)
    -Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    -Meguiar's ScratchX
    -Rubbing alcohol
    -32oz Mineral Spirits
    -32oz jar of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (indoor/outdoor) Clear Gloss
    -Blue shop towel
    -Terry cloths

The first car I attempted this method on was my GF's mom's '01 Grand Marquis. Easily one of the most neglected cars I can think of.

Before

After 600/1000 wet sanding and polishing (multiple heavy passes w/ compound and one pass w/ ScratchX)

So after I had them all sanded and repolished, they looked good. I then cleaned them off thoroughly with the rubbing alcohol and created my UV Sealer mix.

It's 50/50 mineral spirits and urethane.

You don't need much at all, so just make a little bit for two headlights. You apply it w/ a blue shop towel.

Here's after just applying the coating.

Here's alittle bit later after de-taping.

Here's the following day.

The mixture creates a really nice wet look shine even after it dries and it seems to enhance the appearance of clarity in the lens.

The next experiment was w/ my friend's MKV Jetta.

Before

Since these lights were only really rough on the top where the light meets the hood, I limited my 600grit wet sanding to that area only. I did 1000 and polishing on the whole light.

Here's after sanding and polishing

Here's after applying the sealer mixture.

Here's alittle bit later after detaping.

Here's alittle bit later, out in the sun

And here's the following day

I think the results are great right out of the box. The only question now is longevity and durability, which is really the main thing i'm trying to accomplish by doing this. Both of these cars live outside in the 100+ degree south Texas sun, so they're gonna get pounded. We'll see how they hold up.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job, those lights look awesome. And this UV sealer just enhances the look. I find that sometimes, it fills in fine scratches and "glosses" areas that don't buff out well.
    Longevity should be very reasonable, but time will tell. If the lights are neglected they will end up faded again, in a matter of years IMO. Supposedly this UV sealer is the same as some professional headlight restoration companies are selling, but with a bigger price tag.(have no proof, just was told by others trying this method who have spent big bucks on pro kits.)

Post Thanks / Like

Why not stick with Klasses High gloss sealant that last for at least 6 month?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraa View Post
    Why not stick with Klasses High gloss sealant that last for at least 6 month?
    If your lights are new or its got a fresh UV sealant, that would probably work very well to maintain the lights. But if your UV sealant is gone, then Klasse will not last. I tried it on my tail lights, and they were faded to begin with, so I buffed them and applied Klasse, they looked good for several months, but eventually faded out again within 4 months. So I am now using this UV sealer on all lights on my van, so hopefully it lasts much longer than Klasse or any other sealant. However I am still going to maintain them as if they were new.

Post Thanks / Like

I just now finished a sample headlight. Sanded and polished it and it turned out great. UV sealant not so great, not sure if I applied to little or to much but it dried with a haze. It looked like I had just started to sand in some spots. Any insight would be great.
    DC5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by id-type-s View Post
    I just now finished a sample headlight. Sanded and polished it and it turned out great. UV sealant not so great, not sure if I applied to little or to much but it dried with a haze. It looked like I had just started to sand in some spots. Any insight would be great.
    I would retrace your steps, and read through this whole thread. It could be anything, wrong mixture, application was too much, headlights not prepped with alcohol before sealant.......... I have heard people having bad results because they used the wrong cup, the cup they were using had some sort of wax release agent inside and was causing problems mixing. I think they were using the small dixie paper type of cup. And it was causing streaks and hazing. I normally use a small clear plastic cup similar to the one pictured in this thread. Anyhow, try it again, it takes practice to make this work. But, your method gets better and so will the results.

Post Thanks / Like

1. is there any problem with mixing this solution in advance or should it be on an as needed basis?
    2. is it possible to store given the right container?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02nissanISR View Post
    1. is there any problem with mixing this solution in advance or should it be on an as needed basis?
    2. is it possible to store given the right container?
    I was told to just mix it fresh as needed. Not sure if the mixture would keep for too long. I just mix a little whenever I do the restorations. I don't get a lot of them at the same time, so I don't need it to be pre-mixed. Plus a little goes along way, and I try not to waste any product.

Page 4 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast